• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointing Leica Repair (2 Viewers)

Uh oh. I've been getting into watches for the last year or so. Pretty sure the algorithm tricked me into it, but it is a fascinating world. None of my watches have needed servicing yet...
I was into watches for a while, still am I guess but not with the brands most people seem to want.
I no longer have 'high end' watches, but own two of my faves.
High end watches is a world I fell out of love with.

I was into watches for a while, still am I guess but not with the brands most people seem to want.
I no longer have 'high end' watches, but own two of my faves.
High end watches is a world I fell out of love with.
It is a weirder world than high end optics for sure. Some similarities though.

I sent in a pair of Trinovid BN 8x32s for repair in May, 2022. I have not gotten them back yet and they will not provide a return date.
They have offered me a pair of Trinovid HDs to replace them. I pointed out that the Trinovid BN line was replaced with the Ultravid line, but they don't want to replace them with Ultravids.
What would you do? Continue to wait for my Trinovid BNs to be repaired indefinitely? Or take the HDs?
I would continue to sound off hoping to get them replaced with an Ultravid ?

there is a guy at Leica I believe you should contact to help get this sorted out, as he is the guy who finally got my mess handled. His name is Hamilton Boykin.
I dealt with Hamilton on a rangefinder repair a few years back - the issue was resolved very quickly.

It is a weirder world than high end optics for sure. Some similarities though.
Collecting watches for 15 years, I'd say the main difference is -- if you pay more for optics, you usually get better quality with more usability (better light transmission, sharper, larger FoV, etc) while for watches at some point you mostly pay for the name. Apart from super high-end (far above Rolex and the likes) where you get additional features like perpetual calender, chrono, alarm, etc. or unusual design (if I had the money, I'd buy the whole "Urwerk"-collection).
And a Citizen Eco-Drive with radio control or even GPS-time-setting (not navigation) is like a Canon 10x42IS :ROFLMAO: .

I sent in a pair of Trinovid BN 8x32s for repair in May, 2022. I have not gotten them back yet and they will not provide a return date.
They have offered me a pair of Trinovid HDs to replace them. I pointed out that the Trinovid BN line was replaced with the Ultravid line, but they don't want to replace them with Ultravids.
What would you do? Continue to wait for my Trinovid BNs to be repaired indefinitely? Or take the HDs?
When you send the binoculars in, did you get an email with any terms and conditions?

I just spoke with Hamilton, who was very helpful. His advice was to just take the HDs and walk away.
I'm going to think about it.

With due respect Quincy 88, Hamilton is offering you what he would like ( acting for Leica ) to close this thorny issue, now may be the time to negotiate what  you would want to accept as a reasonable settlement for a host of misleading updates and lengthy delays. But as mentioned, they have the option of returning your binoculars with a letter apologising but they are "beyond economical or unable to carry out a repair" as parts are no longer available.
I would test the waters to see if you could wrangle a deal on some Ultravids, what have you got to lose, as some compensation as above. Certainly Leica have let you down, despite your loyalty to the brand.
Again, good luck whichever way you go.
Pat

With due respect Quincy 88, Hamilton is offering you what he would like ( acting for Leica ) to close this thorny issue, now may be the time to negotiate what  you would want to accept as a reasonable settlement for a host of misleading updates and lengthy delays. But as mentioned, they have the option of returning your binoculars with a letter apologising but they are "beyond economical or unable to carry out a repair" as parts are no longer available.
I would test the waters to see if you could wrangle a deal on some Ultravids, what have you got to lose, as some compensation as above. Certainly Leica have let you down, despite your loyalty to the brand.
Again, good luck whichever way you go.
Pat
Thanks PYRTLE. That's good advice.

I'm not sure exactly, but the product line is from the early 2000s.
Hmmm... that is too bad.

I had a 70's 7x35 where the prism coatings had oxidized/failed (?) and Leica offered me Tinovids of my choice at very deep discount. All things considered that seemed like a fair choice given that resale value was low and even Suddarth had agreed that prism coating issues were best left behind. I figured 50 yrs lifespan was not unreasonable.

In your case, I would try to negotiate a good deal on new UV's, but not expect a one-for-one. That said, I've owned Trinovids in 8x32 and 10x42 and both were actually quite good if you can ignore the OCD/expert reviews that are typical around here. I never really knew CA bothered me till I read it here LOL. I can remember the first time I looked through the 8x32's and thought WOW. Of course I was coming from Zeiss Terras, MIJ porros and the vintage 7x35's all of which were decades behind in coatings or just not as high quality. I recently sold those 8x32, only because yes, the SFL's, UVHD+, NV and HG's are indeed a bit better o_O

Conversations are ongoing with Leica representatives.
What I really want is my Trinovid BNs to be fixed and returned, but I am pretty sure that will not happen. The Leica representatives that I have spoken with have not said this explicitly, but their actions indicate to me that they also believe that my BNs will not be repaired.
I've started asking them what my options are for replacement other than the previously offered Trinovid HDs, and we are chatting about those now. The representatives are a bit slow to respond at this point, and I assume that is because they need to have some internal conversations before they make or accept offers.
I will let you know what happens next.

This is why I don't get so excited about warranties on binoculars. I don't want my binos to ever need service, sending them off to points unknown is a traumatizing experience once you've grown attached to them :)

I'd rather have a robust bino than a great warranty program. I think I'd rather see a 30-day warranty on all new binos. That would enable a big drop in prices, and the people who abuse binos would pay for the service. Right now, people that take care of their optics are effectively subsidizing those that don't.

This is how it works for most products. Additional warranty time is offered as an add-on at the time of purchase. Without long-term warranty, you'd probably see a bunch of smaller bino repair shops in business.

and no-fault warranty? So when I buy new binos, I'm paying for the guy that left his on the roof of the car. Warranty coverage can go too far IMO.
I certainly agree with your point about warranties. I have found in the past getting things fixed on a warranty has been frustrating. Now I think of everything I buy like I was buying a parachute.

Well, we have been up and we have been down since the last update.
Last Tuesday, 1/31 my contact at Leica emailed me to inform me that "your original Trinovid are now complete and can be shipped back!"
He was also still offering me the HDs and asked me what I wanted to do.
I replied 34 minutes later informing him that I wanted my Trinovid BNs back as soon as possible and thanked him very much for persevering through this difficult repair.
I haven't heard from him since. I have emailed him three or four times since then and I have not received my binoculars. Total radio silence.

@quincy88, life is too short to worry about the little stuff. You have been overly patient, and sure sound like a very reasonable person. If I were in your shoes, I would accept the Trinovid HD in exchange, sentimental value of your trusty BN or not, and go happily birding again. Life happens.

FWIW, I know of a man who has a very nice Leica 10 x 32 Trinovid BN, used, with box and papers for sale or trade. Just saying ;)

@quincy88, life is too short to worry about the little stuff. You have been overly patient, and sure sound like a very reasonable person. If I were in your shoes, I would accept the Trinovid HD in exchange, sentimental value of your trusty BN or not, and go happily birding again. Life happens.

FWIW, I know of a man who has a very nice Leica 10 x 32 Trinovid BN, used, with box and papers for sale or trade. Just saying ;)
Meh. Maybe you are right. I'd like to talk to them further about some of this stuff if they would answer my emails...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back