• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Bird House and Bird Safe Wood Treatment (3 Viewers)

SV Chineel

Bahamas
Hey bird people. I actually only joined this forum due to a lack of good information online about wood treatment for birdhouses. So I thought I'd add my input as a woodworker and bird enthusiast.
There is a lot of misinformation online, mostly on various forums by people making baseless, unresearched opinions.
The answer is to use linseed oil, it is absolutely food-safe, and you can thin it with turpentine. Many foods already contain trace amounts of turpentine as it is produced by plants to protect themselves against rot. Teak oil I'm not 100% sure about, as they tend to keep their formula a secret, but the ingredients I know about are food safe in small amounts - linseed oil, turpentine, mineral oil and tung oil. Personally I would ere on the side of caution and only use teak oil on exterior surfaces.
The correct way to use linseed oil is to start with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine, reducing the amount of turpentine by about 10-20% for each coat. Each successive coat will take longer to dry. For the interior of a bird house, I would say that 2-3 coats is fine - you're not looking to create a varnish, just have the oil penetrate and protect the wood. This will make it harder for rot and parasites to take hold, and aid with cleaning. Used on the exterior, linseed oil will significantly darken the wood over time, teak oil less so.
Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the misconceptions I've read online. I'm on my boat in the Bahamas currently, and have already befriended a Red-Legged Thrush and some Grey Kingbirds. I will soon be building a teak birdhouse (I'm working at a marine salvage yard here so we have plenty of "scrap" teak). I don't have a decent camera, only my phone, but hopefully I can get some good photos after the bird house is built, maybe I can start training them to eat from my hand, if I have time.

Hey bird people. I actually only joined this forum due to a lack of good information online about wood treatment for birdhouses. So I thought I'd add my input as a woodworker and bird enthusiast.
There is a lot of misinformation online, mostly on various forums by people making baseless, unresearched opinions.
The answer is to use linseed oil, it is absolutely food-safe, and you can thin it with turpentine. Many foods already contain trace amounts of turpentine as it is produced by plants to protect themselves against rot. Teak oil I'm not 100% sure about, as they tend to keep their formula a secret, but the ingredients I know about are food safe in small amounts - linseed oil, turpentine, mineral oil and tung oil. Personally I would ere on the side of caution and only use teak oil on exterior surfaces.
The correct way to use linseed oil is to start with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine, reducing the amount of turpentine by about 10-20% for each coat. Each successive coat will take longer to dry. For the interior of a bird house, I would say that 2-3 coats is fine - you're not looking to create a varnish, just have the oil penetrate and protect the wood. This will make it harder for rot and parasites to take hold, and aid with cleaning. Used on the exterior, linseed oil will significantly darken the wood over time, teak oil less so.
Anyway, I hope that clears up some of the misconceptions I've read online. I'm on my boat in the Bahamas currently, and have already befriended a Red-Legged Thrush and some Grey Kingbirds. I will soon be building a teak birdhouse (I'm working at a marine salvage yard here so we have plenty of "scrap" teak). I don't have a decent camera, only my phone, but hopefully I can get some good photos after the bird house is built, maybe I can start training them to eat from my hand, if I have time.

Hello SV Chineel,
Thank you for your great advice,, as far as protecting the finish, of a wood bird feeder. Kindest regards, from N. Kentucky.

Will the birds still occupy a house tested with a birdhouse treated with some turpentine in it?

Thank you for this info. Will the birds still occupy a house tested with a birdhouse treated with a mixture with some turpentine in it? The smell is very strong right now. Thanks so much for your help.

Others may disagree, but I think perhaps too much is made of the preservatives of nest boxes - most modern finishes are fine as long as you let them thoroughly cure and any fumes to disperse before putting them up. Eg turpentine is not majorly toxic and the fumes soon disappear.

Yes indeed. My first home made blue tit box as a child was made of untreated chipboard, the wrong shape, wrong size and wrong hole size. But it was occupied by Blue Tits every year until it literally fell apart. As always it is a question of Location, Location, Location

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back