• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Image Stabilisation (IS) for binoculars (1 Viewer)

With the way of the world these days, with costs spiralling in fuel and raw materials £39.00 overheads may seem a good deal to some. !
Go for it.;)

After I refine the design a bit more, will PM you - shipping is on me, a small parcel is less than $10 :).
So very kind of you. I shall look forward to hearing from you.

I think your idea of an entropy source is interesting. I know the plastic bottle was non-esthetic, but there are probably neater containers. (Maybe wrap the solder around the bottle for a neater look? But that would increase the total weight.)

I may do a search for carbon fiber 1/4-20 threaded rods, or carbon fiber tubes that could couple to 1/4-20 threaded inserts.

Love it! I’ve been unknowingly aiming (pun intended) to do the same for binoculars. They have the stiff rod, tip weight, and rubber dampers exactly as needed.

These following may work well. Do need an adapter to bend the tip out of view however.

18 inch: 109g
24 inch: 123g
27 inch: 130g
30 inch: 138g
34 inch: 147g

Look into angled stabilizer quick release like this one. Adjustable is prob avail. You could just leave this on binos, the rod clamps in with just a button push.
Screenshot_20220904-123129_Chrome.jpg

Love it! I’ve been unknowingly aiming (pun intended) to do the same for binoculars. They have the stiff rod, tip weight, and rubber dampers exactly as needed.

These following may work well. Do need an adapter to bend the tip out of view however.

18 inch: 109g
24 inch: 123g
27 inch: 130g
30 inch: 138g
34 inch: 147g

From a quick Google search, 5/16-24 seems the industry standard at the end that mounts into the bow.
The weight end of the rod may be either 5/16-24 or 1/4-20.
Perhaps if you find a rod with both thread dimensions/pitches, you could make it work.

From a quick Google search, 5/16-24 seems the industry standard at the end that mounts into the bow.
The weight end of the rod may be either 5/16-24 or 1/4-20.
Perhaps if you find a rod with both thread dimensions/pitches, you could make it work.

You beat me to it, well said. I’m looking but not finding an adapter that does both 1/4”-5/16” convertion, and allows angulation.

Have a feeling that Bino Steve is looking into this too 😝

You beat me to it, well said. I’m looking but not finding an adapter that does both 1/4”-5/16” convertion, and allows angulation.

Have a feeling that Bino Steve is looking into this too 😝

1/4-20 male to 5/16-24 female:

Ok, skip the Archery stuff, here is the carbon rod 1/4-20 male one end, 1/4-20 female other. From Camera rig world. Diff sizes avail. Prob find on Amazon to. Matthews is well known.
Screenshot_20220904-162643_Chrome.jpg

10 second review of binopod:

It is ok. Main benefit is weight being taken up by harness, allowing much heavier optics. But stability isn’t there eg breathing will move the bino.

Oh the plus side, I now have a ?bipod that can be attached to the bino and it works as a stick stabiliser!

16FFDB21-B781-49D3-886B-7F834DC61FCC.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back