• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Sparrowhawks ever hunt in pairs? (1 Viewer)

I'm sure your correct with the identification though the behaviour you describe is more reminiscencet of Hobby hunting tactic, particularly seeking out hirindines.....swooping and chasing then climbing sharply and high to seek out another target. Mind you, I've seen an adult female Sparrowhawk repeatedly and successfully catching Sand Martins gathering in the Autumn, albeit typically an ambush stratergy from the same hidden vantage point.

I'm sure your correct with the identification though the behaviour you describe is more reminiscencet of Hobby hunting tactic, particularly seeking out hirindines.....swooping and chasing then climbing sharply and high to seek out another target. Mind you, I've seen an adult female Sparrowhawk repeatedly and successfully catching Sand Martins gathering in the Autumn, albeit typically an ambush stratergy from the same hidden vantage point.
The major attack that I saw the start of was towards something on the ground, or at least below the height of the fence (6 or 7 feet) . I was sure it was a sparrowhawk at the time, but I will have to look again. (it was the third time I had seen one during the day, today, when the attack happened) I know there is also a goshawk around at times.

Thinking about my twenty years of twitching and birding, I don't think I've ever seen two Sparrowhawks together.

Except the 2 I saw hunting together over Holland Park in Eilat, Israel in late March, which is a bit too early for Levant Sparrowhawks.

Has anyone else seen Eurasian Sparrowhawks hunting in pairs?
Yes three four weeks ago driving round a corner of rural road in Dunbartonshire came across two young looking birds on top of a still live pigeon ripping its feathers, they reluctantly flew away

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back