• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do the owners of both Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL/NL feel they are uncomfortable for the different color cast? (1 Viewer)

This is my experience.

It is heresy to say it, but the SF made my EL SV look “muddy” in direct comparison.
Not heresy at all, it’s what you perceive. It’s been said hundreds of times here, that some are more sensitive to specific characteristics that others may not noice at all. Although from my experience, it seems to be rare that the SF’s slight color leaning due to coatings are unacceptable. But I certainly, respectfully don’t doubt what your seeing.

Henry, thank you, that is very useful to me.

But now another task for me please! (Henry, others.) I'd like to know how you would describe the difference away from fidelity in the Conquest (in that photo). Warmer? More red? I'm pretty poor at this. Maybe one reason is not having needed to state or describe the results of my own experiments, or maybe I am just confused in trying to describe color--this is not the first time. My purpose at the moment is to know what I am seeing! That is, thru. Z. Conquest, and (separately) Z. Victory Pocket, and Meopta MeoStar HD, my regularly used binos.

Recently I wrote in the Meopta subforum: 'I found Leica "too red" and Zeiss "too blue-green" for me and hoped, from a lot I had read in BF, that Meopta's color rendition was right for me and went for one (the 15x56). I do like it but switching between that and Zeiss (in 8x and 10x) is a bit discordant. I try to look on the positive side philosophically that this reminds me all is relative!'

Scott98, I too am basically a "cooler and warmer" man, and, see above, I say this with some chagrin, but, see above, sometimes I dare to cite the spectrum.

It may have escaped my attention in the discussion, but the color sensitivity of the eye can be different from person to person, but probably more important is how the color sensitivity of the human eye changes with age. Yellowing of the eye lens with increasing age is fairly common phenomenon and that will affect the color sensitivity of the eye. Binocular producers can only make their optical systems fulfilling international standards used for color reproduction. I have tried , as mentioned earlier, to describe that in my review paper published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back