• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do the owners of both Zeiss SF and Swarovski EL/NL feel they are uncomfortable for the different color cast? (2 Viewers)

Sunlight is usually considered to be ~4800K, so 5000K is "neutral" for outdoor light w/ the sun at zenith on a clear day. 5000K is considered bluish for indoor lighting, which is typically 2700K or 3000K. Studies are showing that bluer light in the evening hours is not healthy. Most people prefer warmer light for indoors

Dismiss gpt at your peril.
As I see the problem, it (or whatever competitors evolve) will become impossible to dismiss even if we wanted to. As long as it is something Big Tech can use to harvest our data were going to be stuck with it. It will soon be what "Google it" is now.

Fascinating, I learn something almost every week on BF. I’ve always thought Color accuracy and color neutrality were the same. It appears that I am more sensitive to being able to see red, yellow and green, but I do not notice blues. I always thought that my Swarovski EL’s and certainly my Habichts neutral in color or lack thereof and what my eyes see without binoculars. But now I realize that neutral is completely different, and there are multiple neutral color hues that the eye could pick up.

I see the red in some Nikon‘s, yellow in the Leica’s and green on some Zeiss, yet see nothing , no color at all in Habichts. Therefore in essence it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re true color accuracy, it’s just I’m not capable of seeing neutral color hue. 🤯

If one wants to be critical, a pantone color checker could be used. (And read lots of color science)

Under natural light (ie full spectrum light), view the color checker without then with the binocular.

It will show you hue shifts, in addition to the commonly done test for tint.

about a couple years ago I ordered a Uvid hd + 8x32 and compared it with my Nikon MHG 8x30 and Swaro CL 8x30 (original). The CL looked to have accurate or neutral (no bias) colors compared to the Leica which had a touch of yellow. The Nikon showed stronger more obvious yellow compared to the Leica.

The Nikon and Leica have rich colors but different tones to them. I preferred the Uvid colors the most. I liked the CL more natural presentation second. I do like the colors in the MHG although I find it a little too warm (yellow) in general. However, its warm type of view is very easy on the eyes during prolonged viewing.

about a couple years ago I ordered a Uvid hd + 8x32 and compared it with my Nikon MHG 8x30 and Swaro CL 8x30 (original). The CL looked to have accurate or neutral (no bias) colors compared to the Leica which had a touch of yellow. The Nikon showed stronger more obvious yellow compared to the Leica.

The Nikon and Leica have rich colors but different tones to them. I preferred the Uvid colors the most. I liked the CL more natural presentation second. I do like the colors in the MHG although I find it a little too warm (yellow) in general. However, its warm type of view is very easy on the eyes during prolonged viewing.
Same here, I love the Swarovski sharpness and to me truer color, but the Leica and Nikons are so much easier on my eyes over longer observing sessions. My eyes are not as fatigued at the end of the day.

I love the Swarovski sharpness and to me truer color, but the Leica and Nikons are so much easier on my eyes over longervobserving sessions.
Interesting!
I feel the same, but only since a few years, and have the impression that my preferences are changing over time (aging?). Nowadays, for long days, Nikon and particularly Leica seem to fit my eyes best (is Zeiss is catching up with the SFL?). Perhaps a tad less sharp and bright than competing Swaro and Zeiss models (this is an impression, not a fact), but in many ways more „relaxed“. Must be getting old :oops:

You’re not looking hard enough. They like to hide in high grass, use higher magnification.
That's obviously not a unicorn, just an ordinary horse with random stuff photoshopped onto its head. (Narwhal presumably, and Pamela Anderson's hair?)

Look at medieval tapestries. Unicorns are smaller and more delicate, with rather different features. The problem must just be a lack of patience to lure one anymore.

That's obviously not a unicorn, just an ordinary horse with random stuff photoshopped onto its head. (Narwhal presumably, and Pamela Anderson's hair?)

Look at medieval tapestries. Unicorns are smaller and more delicate, with rather different features. The problem must just be a lack of patience to lure one anymore.
Oh so you’re saying I was tricked by some local farmer that had horse stables. I’ll get back into the field this weekend once I get back from my yeti searching trip 😆. And I don’t mean the travel mugs from Walmart.

Oh so you’re saying I was tricked by some local farmer that had horse stables. I’ll get back into the field this weekend once I get back from my yeti searching trip 😆. And I don’t mean the travel mugs from Walmart.
Clearly the problem is you can’t tell whether it’s a horse or a unicorn because you’re using the wrong binocular.

Edmund

Actually threads like this one, informative as they can be, always swerve into areas of pure subjectivity, where everybody seems to be looking for either Unicorns or maybe even Nirvana. Neither is to be found. We are seeing through mechanical optical systems that agree to one degree or another with our own DNA powered optical system.

I own the NL and will be picking up another SF next week. The view between the two makes zero difference to me. I prefer the view of the Zeiss, it is more comfortable for my eyes. I definitely prefer the ergonomics of the Zeiss. The sculpted barrels on the NL are horrible for large hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back