• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does kitesurfing have an impact on birds? (1 Viewer)

Tiff

Hello everyone!

I am a graduate student at the University of Kent and I am investigating the kitesurfing and birds conflict, in the UK.

For anyone who is not familiar with the "kitesurfing and birds" conflict, there has been some concern that kitesurfing could be detrimental to particular bird populations along the UK coast; specifically wading birds that use areas along the coast as summer breeding grounds and winter roosts. However, there is little evidence that kitesurfing has any impact on these bird populations.

I would like to find out more about what birders think about this issue; particularly:

a) Whether or not you believe that kitesurfing has an impact on birds.
b) Any examples of cases where you may have personally observed or heard of disturbance/no disturbance to birds from kitesurfing.
c) What you think about how kitesurfing should be managed in protected areas.
d) Any other thoughts that you have on the issue.

I look forward to your comments!

Sincerely,
Tiffany

Hi Tiffany I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry I don't have any experience on this subject, but I'm sure you'll get many view from our members

D

Tiffany,I live in an area where kitesurfing and wake boarding are regular sports.
On our lagoon,which is part of the RSPB HODBARROW reserve,the wake boarders speed along the flocks of swans and grebes who are totally nonplussed.They just ride the waves.But,this reserve is a breeding area for Sandwich,Common and Little Terns.whereas these birds used to nest on the banks of the lagoon,they have now all moved down into the main reserve.
Kitesurfers are using the bay ,here in Haverigg on a regular basis,but the Cormorants , Herons,and other waders do not seem to be affected.

I have witnessed first hand the disturbance that kitesurfers cause waders. Its a regular occurance at Marazion with waders being pushed up and down the beach. Its bad enough they have to contend with the bloody dogs roaming the foreshore! The kites also scare birds that are across the road on Marazion Marsh. Ive seen waders and wildfowl startle suddenly into flight for no apparent reason only to look over my shoulder and see a kite above the sea wall. There was also an incident where a kite surfer let go of his kite which then blew across the main road and into Marazion Marsh. As if this wasnt enough to scare the birds (and endanger road users) the kites owner then walked across a conservation area, blatently disregarding the 'no entry' sign and crshed through about 100ft of reeds to drag his kite back. The reed bed held breeding Reed, Sedge and Cetti's warbler as well as being adjacent to a small heronry.

Hello everyone!

I am a graduate student at the University of Kent and I am investigating the kitesurfing and birds conflict, in the UK.

For anyone who is not familiar with the "kitesurfing and birds" conflict, there has been some concern that kitesurfing could be detrimental to particular bird populations along the UK coast; specifically wading birds that use areas along the coast as summer breeding grounds and winter roosts. However, there is little evidence that kitesurfing has any impact on these bird populations.

I would like to find out more about what birders think about this issue; particularly:

a) Whether or not you believe that kitesurfing has an impact on birds.
b) Any examples of cases where you may have personally observed or heard of disturbance/no disturbance to birds from kitesurfing.
c) What you think about how kitesurfing should be managed in protected areas.
d) Any other thoughts that you have on the issue.

I look forward to your comments!

Sincerely,
Tiffany
Hi Tiffany, I work for the RSPB and would be very interested in your findings and knowledge sharing. You can contact me at [email protected]

Although this thread is 15 years old, a study on this very topic has been recently published in Lithuania, specifically on moulting Mute Swans and other wildfowl. Can provide details if required.
Thanks for your reply. Yes would be interested, specifically have an interest in beach nesting birds and any proof or evidence if their is or no impact

I'm not sure I need to report to know it's a harmful activity when I routinely see flocks of Brent Geese and shorebirds flushed by kitesurfers. Add them to dog walkers as just another shoreline menace!

Has happened in Port Meadow, Oxford, which is flooded over in the winter (and, if lucky, in autumn and spring) and thus brings in a large number of roosting gulls, as well as waders.

Apparently the kitesurfers got yelled at by a birder fed up with them flushing all the birds away, and the matter was resolved there and then.

Hello Mark,

welcome to Birdforum!

Do you specifically look for the impact of kitesurfing to wildlife? Another activity that was proven to disturb birds is stand-up paddling as you surely know.

(I am quite confident that german language isnt a problem here?)

I found this about kitesurfing:

Hello Mark,

welcome to Birdforum!

Do you specifically look for the impact of kitesurfing to wildlife? Another activity that was proven to disturb birds is stand-up paddling as you surely know.

(I am quite confident that german language isnt a problem here?)

I found this about kitesurfing:
And there is this study from Norway, with English abstract (Google Translate does an OK job of translating the rest): NINA Brage: Ferdselsrelaterte forstyrrelser på fugl i Jærstrendene landskapsvernområde
SW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back