• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dogs on Nature Reserves (1 Viewer)

On the reserve today and two women with dogs off leads. One, a lurcher bolted for and very nearly caught a duck. When spoken to by myself the response I got was anger and ignorance (again), and when told the dog had almost caught the duck the reply was "So what?"
It would be easy, looking at the people I see every day to evaluate that all dog walkers are ignorant, selfish, dim witted idiots. Thus we need to make the law listen to us and do something about it.
I saw 10 dogs today, not one on a lead.

On the reserve today and two women with dogs off leads. One, a lurcher bolted for and very nearly caught a duck. When spoken to by myself the response I got was anger and ignorance (again), and when told the dog had almost caught the duck the reply was "So what?"
It would be easy, looking at the people I see every day to evaluate that all dog walkers are ignorant, selfish, dim witted idiots. Thus we need to make the law listen to us and do something about it.
I saw 10 dogs today, not one on a lead.

so, can I ask, what are you doing about all these incidents Deseo? who are you engaging with to solve the problem? (apart from the owners, who sound ignorant to say the least).

Cos one thing I have noticed on here over the years is that nothing will change as a result of discussing something on this conservation forum.

so, can I ask, what are you doing about all these incidents Deseo? who are you engaging with to solve the problem? (apart from the owners, who sound ignorant to say the least).

Cos one thing I have noticed on here over the years is that nothing will change as a result of discussing something on this conservation forum.

This question has already been asked (by me!) and answered above - basically, it's the owner who takes the decision whether or not to prosecute (unless witnessed and actioned by a Police Officer or similar), and as this is Deseo's employer, his hands are rather frustratingly tied - only exception would be if a dog assaulted him or anyone else, when a private prosecution could be pursued.

I see it now, "man at the top who is in charge of whether or not we take action". Well I would escalate to his boss. You find that people who are scared about upsetting people, are even more scared of who they report to lol. Especially if they aren't doing their job properly.
But it's easy for me to be all righteous and smart on my keyboard!

Yes unfortunately all of the wildlife bodies are s**t scared of upsetting dog owners because lots of their members are dog owners and may not pay the subs if worried that their sweet pooch might not be welcome in the gang.
I personally say sod em, if they can't abide by our rules then they shouldn't be on our reserves. All we need is someone with a backbone to take charge and make it happen.

Good idea Peter except I think you will find. That his boss has not developed a vertebral column. |;|

I understand. I was suggesting escalating to the spineless person's boss, and higher if necessary. Eventually you will reach someone who is horrified that funding is supposed to be for a nature reserve and is being wasted.

Much praise for Deseo for being on the ball with this unfortunate and sorry situation, for highlighting it both locally on the Lound Bird Club web site and nationally and regionally through media and TV.

The owners of the nearby Idle Valley Nature Reserve, Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust, will hopefully have a rethink about implementing stricter rules on allowing public access with dogs onto its reserve. I am personally in favour of a complete all year round 'NO Lead then NO Access' approach and I am also a dog owner myself.

What happened to that innocent Mute Swan highlighted graphically the raw instinct in all dogs to attack and kill so all dog owners should look at the evidence, listen to both sides and comply with the rules that are set.

I understand. I was suggesting escalating to the spineless person's boss, and higher if necessary. Eventually you will reach someone who is horrified that funding is supposed to be for a nature reserve and is being wasted.

The wildlife trust is unlike other organisations Peter.
I have already spoken to the Cheif Executive at their 'National Office'.
Very nice lady, once the Chief exec at Notts. WT.

Guess what. Nothing to do with them. It's just sheer genius the way they operate. You couldn't make it up. :clap:

Attacked by - Dog on nature reserve

<snip> The owners of the nearby Idle Valley Nature Reserve, Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust, will hopefully have a rethink about implementing stricter rules on allowing public access with dogs onto its reserve. <big snip>

Oh yes Gaz. Their thinking all right. But only after a lot of pressure has been brought to bare and an MP has been breathing down their necks.
You should voice your opinions to the owners (NWT) about dogs off leads Gaz. The more that complain, then the more likely they just might get the message.

I met a member of Bassetlaws environmental section at a police meeting recently and asked about 'Dog Control orders'. She said the council was very supportive of the idea. - So Watch This Space! ;)

But please don't hold your breath :-O

Just for the record folks.
I was on a reserve in Lincolnshire yesterday and as if by magic I met an irresponsible dog owner, who's dog then proceeded to bark at then attack me while off the lead.
The dog repeatedly went for me over and over again, growling and snapping for no reason. It even managed to bite the bottom of my trouser leg as I backed away from it. It was genuinely frightening.

The lady dog owner just laughed when I shouted at the dog. She just said "it wont hurt you". So i shouted at her and asked her to please put the dog on a lead. (which she had around her neck)
She just repeated that she couldn't. When asked why not she replied.
"It's a rescue dog and it won't come when I call it" and "it doesn't like men any way". My next comments were unprintable. Sorry.

I have reported the attack to Humberside Police.

What happened to that innocent Mute Swan highlighted graphically the raw instinct in all dogs to attack and kill so all dog owners should look at the evidence, listen to both sides and comply with the rules that are set.

I don't actually think that there is raw instinct to kill, its more to do with the reckless stupidity of the owners. I did an eight mile walk yesterday and met several farm dogs on my walk, not a single problem from any of them, did have a couple of problems though, both with idiots out walking with their dogs and who had got their dogs off the leash.

By their very nature dogs are territorial and spend most of their time within strictly defined areas and when their owner takes them for a walk and let them off the leash they are actually away from their own defined territory and they have a need to assert themselves as being in control of the situation and to achieve that can involve anything from challenging other people to catching and killing something to let their owner that it is control of the situation, add to that the situation where it and its owner are faced with challenge (perhaps from an official who wants its owner to bring it under control) it may see that situation as a threat and choose to attack. The truth is that in that situation almost any action by the dog's target will be seen as a threat.

You also have to imagine the situation where a dog sees someone crouching over a tripod looking through a scope or camera, or simply standing there looing through a viewfinder that is pointed at something what is that dog really seeing? It is most probably seeing something that is "tensed up" and in a threat postion waiting to pounce and for many dogs that is a situation where it has to challenge that "threat" and try to take control.

Last edited:
The wildlife trust is unlike other organisations Peter.
I have already spoken to the Cheif Executive at their 'National Office'.
Very nice lady, once the Chief exec at Notts. WT.

Guess what. Nothing to do with them. It's just sheer genius the way they operate. You couldn't make it up. :clap:

Then you need to go higher.. who pays the trust? the general public I guess. So the petition is the way to go, if you get enough names on it, plus letters from trust members threatening to withdraw their membership if nothing is done. Remind them of their mission statement, which isn't to build huge recreational areas for dogs lol

I don't actually think that there is raw instinct to kill, its more to do with the reckless stupidity of the owners. I did an eight mile walk yesterday and met several farm dogs on my walk, not a single problem from any of them, did have a couple of problems though, both with idiots out walking with their dogs and who had got their dogs off the leash.

By their very nature dogs are territorial and spend most of their time within strictly defined areas and when their owner takes them for a walk and let them off the leash they are actually away from their own defined territory and they have a need to assert themselves as being in control of the situation and to achieve that can involve anything from challenging other people to catching and killing something to let their owner that it is control of the situation, add to that the situation where it and its owner are faced with challenge (perhaps from an official who wants its owner to bring it under control) it may see that situation as a threat and choose to attack. The truth is that in that situation almost any action by the dog's target will be seen as a threat.

You also have to imagine the situation where a dog sees someone crouching over a tripod looking through a scope or camera, or simply standing there looing through a viewfinder that is pointed at something what is that dog really seeing? It is most probably seeing something that is "tensed up" and in a threat postion waiting to pounce and for many dogs that is a situation where it has to challenge that "threat" and try to take control.

You do talk a load of rubbish sometimes SW. Dogs do not see humans as other dogs or themselves as humans, with the sole exception that they bond with their owner and owner's family, and recognise the owner as the alpha animal in their pack. When they don't, which is generally with a weak-minded female owner, it is always trouble. It was noticeable indoors with Tansy just before Mum had to go into a home with Alzheimer's that she did not defer to Mum as she used to.

They will act to a perceived threat to their pack but in doing so they will take their cue from their alpha, so aggression from that individual will set them off.

However, like many animals they have neophobia and will often react negatively to a tripod on that account. They also don't like to be surprised so a birder standing still and quiet that they come upon suddenly may produce a surprise and defence reaction, usually to startle then stand and bark.

As for hunting behaviour being a desire to please the pack leader - the mind boggles. They are carnivores doing what they do. Mostly they are so modified from the wild state that they are unusccessful. Obviously breeds designed for hunting do better.

None of which makes them appropriate visitors to high level wildlife reserves or justifies your objections to them anywhere else.

John

Don't know about SW talking a load of rubbish sometimes.

Dogs suffering from neophobia eh! That takes some beating John. LOL

Maybe the dog that attacked me was suffering with stage freight, with it being it's first time on a nature reserve. No! joking apart and according to it's uncaring owner.

The poor thing suffered with Misandry and it attacks every man it sees.
Irrespective of if he's stood still or surprised and how many legs you have does not effect it's attack choices at all. ;)

Then you need to go higher.. who pays the trust? the general public I guess. So the petition is the way to go, if you get enough names on it, <snip>lol

I totally agree Peter. 40 people have kindly signed the petition but we need many more signatures to win this battle .

If we do succeed in Notts. Then it will set a precedent so that other areas/counties can stop this menace on their reserves.

So please post your friends and other forums you belong to the link below.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/An...p_Control_or_Ban_dogs_on_Nature_Reserves_NOW/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back