• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Domesticated Duck - southern coast of Oregon 2 Nov (2 Viewers)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I am pretty sure these are a variation of domestic duck, confirmation or correction please. I saw them on a lake at a local park. As always thanks for the assistance. LisaIMG_1951.jpeg

Hello Lisa,

agree with Bewick and Raymie:yes they are domestic Ducks aka "Mandy Mallards".
Slight unusual goose like bill and head shape is within variation and as I have learned here and elsewhere no indication of Hybridisation ( what a term when it comes to domestic Ducks). But you know, I always search for this.

Thank you all. Domesticated was all I could come up with, but having never seen them I could have been wrong. Heck I am wrong about birds I see all the time.

There's a "fawn and white" variant of the domestic breed Indian Runner that looks a lot like this: eye ring, grey head, white neck, fawn/buff body, long oddly-shaped bill. I suspect there's some other breed in there to explain the orange bill tone and the body shape that I think is a little bulkier than normal for an Indian Runner. (The bird on the left in particular seems to have a very tall butt.)
The bird on the left is male, as you can see by the curly feathers above the tail. Not sure about the bird on the right - domestic breeds don't always show the curl. A female indian runner would usually have a different bill color than the male - but that's another one of those rules of thumb that domestics don't always obey.

Hello Lisa,

agree with Bewick and Raymie:yes they are domestic Ducks aka "Mandy Mallards".
Slight unusual goose like bill and head shape is within variation and as I have learned here and elsewhere no indication of Hybridisation ( what a term when it comes to domestic Ducks). But you know, I always search for this.

(Apols for correcting you, don't know if it's a typo or mislearned) = Manky Mallards*, ie manky being informal British for messy, scruffy or inferior.

Another one is 'yuck duck'

In both cases, highly disrespectful to the ducks concerned, although I tend to agree with the premise that they are inferior to proper wild or even purebred domestic duck varieties ... ;-)

*(Because these are in America, questionable whether this term would hold lol?!)

"Manky" is easily understood by Americans, though hardly ever used outside of birding or mountaineering.

There's a discussion here: Who would use the word "manky"?

I can confirm the use of "manky" in American rock climbing and mountaineering.

There is a 16th century term "mank" (defective, inferior; from the French manquer, to lack, miss, or fall short) which may or may not be related to late-1950s "manky".

This really seems to be pure domestic ducks (don´t know the breed though) and not "manky mallards " in my definition. I always had defined manky mallards as mixes with wild and domesticated mallard ancestry, showing the wrong colors for a wild mallard but essentially wild mallard size ...

but maybe others define manky mallard differently?

... the wings are so small compared to the body that they probably can´t get airborne. A typical sign for the larger domestic breeds... that means , allthough we have no size comparison, it must be a breed somewhat larger than mallard.

This really seems to be pure domestic ducks (don´t know the breed though) and not "manky mallards " in my definition. I always had defined manky mallards as mixes with wild and domesticated mallard ancestry, showing the wrong colors for a wild mallard but essentially wild mallard size ...

but maybe others define manky mallard differently?

... the wings are so small compared to the body that they probably can´t get airborne. A typical sign for the larger domestic breeds... that means , allthough we have no size comparison, it must be a breed somewhat larger than mallard.
You could well be right with these ones ... they are similar to each other too.

Although generally outside the crosses/mixes come in varying degrees of size? - often fatter or larger (especially towards the rear as in geese).

Although it has wider currency, "Manky" is generally understood to be of Scottish origin (do a google for details).

As to its meaning? - it means "clatty".
Roughly in the meaning of "dirty" or "untidy"? thats how I understood it, thus forming the personal definition as described in my previous post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back