• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorokhovo as a place for birdwatching (1 Viewer)

G

Gleb Berloff

Just thought I could share what I have discovered about a place I love to visit with my family. I don't want to live there anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the beautiful spectacle on offer there. I have seen myself the following species there:
Honey-buzzard. Quite a lot of them, breed in the region. These are rare in the region
Long-eared owl. Breed right in my former village. In 2018 and 2019 raised owlets which could be heard calling in June and July
Hen harrier. Saw a ringtail on a nearby field, then a young male on a different field. They must be breeding here somewhere, despite being very rare in the region
White stork. A pair has been breeding in the region for several years now near home. These are rare in the region
Hazel grouse. Saw one in the forest whilst running around looking for mushrooms.
Nutcracker. One observed me as I was running around one evening at quite a small distance.
Golden Oriole. A calling male was present near my former village, but did not return last year. However, found them in a different place, closer to home.
Black Grouse. I have not seen these, but they do lurk in the region.
This is followed by the more typical kestrels and buzzards. Near this is a wonderful lake where, surprisingly, such rare species breed as white-tailed eagle and osprey, capercaillie and goshawk, and there have been sporadic sightings of bears in the region.
Hope to explore the region more thoroughly with my girlfriend, aunt and cousins this year. I really am bent on tracking the hazel grouse and white-tailed eagle down. And I am guaranteed views of white stork as well. Looking forward to the summer

Here is a list of the best images I have from the region.
Shown are white stork, long-eared owl, golden oriole, honey buzzer and hen harrier. The white stork picture was taken by my aunt, who told me about them

Attachments

• Auntie's picture of white storks.jpg
    Auntie's picture of white storks.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 10
  • Long-eared owl 2.jpg
    Long-eared owl 2.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01886.jpg
    DSC01886.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC06411 (1).jpg
    DSC06411 (1).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC06385.jpg
    DSC06385.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 84
Neither of these, actually. Dorokhovo in Moscow Oblast, Russia. The locations are dispersed over a very wide area. The white storks live next to a busy road- I could provide the location if required by PM. Their tolerance of so much noise and the fact that they live on a farm amazes me.

I lived on the edge of St Petersburg for a few years, wildlife was amazing, my local patch began right outside my window. I'm back in the UK now and miss my patch so, so much.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back