• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Downy or Hairy Woodpecker (New York State) (1 Viewer)

khustochka

Looks like a rather long bill for me, isn't it?

May 2, 2011, Essex County, NY (Adirondack Park)

Attachments

• img_1710-woodp.jpg
    img_1710-woodp.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 219
I get the impression that the bill is consistent with Downy Woodpecker. The Downy Woodpecker usually has a couple of black bars on the outer tail feathers, but not always!

I'd go with Hairy on this one although the beak looks a bit on the thin side but could be the angle it was taken.

One of those intermediate birds where bill length alone isn't enough. The long black spur extending into the breast, as well as the all white outer tail feathers, both support Hairy, however.

Best,
Jim

I get the impression that the bill is consistent with Downy Woodpecker. The Downy Woodpecker usually has a couple of black bars on the outer tail feathers, but not always!
I'm curious as to why you say not always? My field guides mention this as a distinct field mark for downy woodpeckers.

Hairy for me. Bill seems long enough for Hairy IMO. Also as others have said the white outer tail feathers match it.

It also has that look of a Hairy compared to the cute look I find in the Downy.

I'm curious as to why you say not always? My field guides mention this as a distinct field mark for downy woodpeckers.

See the big Sibley (p.312) where it’s noted that Downies sometimes lack barred outer tail feathers & Hairies sometimes have them. Personally, I’ve seen at least one unambiguous Downy in Nevada with unmarked outer tail feathers.

Last edited:
What about this clue? http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/02/a-new-clue-for-identifying-downy-and-hairy-woodpeckers/

Honestly, I looked at different photos of Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers on flickr and realized it is not easy to use this clue because the position of the head changes the feather pattern greatly.

I haven't looked at other pictures much, but Sibley's illustration certainly makes yours look like a Hairy by the shape of the black bar through the eye (not going down so much into the cheek). However, as you say it is perhaps more complex than the illustration suggests.

See the big Sibley (p.312) where it’s noted that Downies sometimes lack barred outer tail feathers & Hairies sometimes have them. Personally, I’ve seen at least one unambiguous Downie in Nevada with unmarked outer tail feathers.
Thanks for the explanation. :) There's such variation in other field marks that I was hoping that one was at least a constant... oh well!

To me, if there is any question whether the bills long enough for a Hairy, it's a Downy. My first impression here is Hairy supported by the lack of black markings.

To me, if there is any question whether the bills long enough for a Hairy, it's a Downy. My first impression here is Hairy supported by the lack of black markings.
Entertaining... Your rule of thumb for this pair is exactly the same as mine. But in this case with the opposite conclusion :)

I thought that Western Downies sometimes lacked the black marks on the tail but Eastern always showed them but i might have imagined it. Hairy for me

I thought that Western Downies sometimes lacked the black marks on the tail but Eastern always showed them but i might have imagined it. Hairy for me

I remember reading about that, as well, but cannot remember where.

As for the bird in question, the bill length and the lack of bars on the tail support Hairy, but the bill thickness (could be the angle) and the thin-looking branch it's perched on support Downy. So I'm leaning toward Hairy, but not 100% sure.

Others have pointed out the "bars/no bars" of "eastern/and some western Downies". I believe I have been swayed to the Hairy side, as this photo was taken in New York (eastern bird, in all probability). Bird has no black showing on the white tail feathers, somewhat reduced white area on the face, more bulky appearing overall, etc. The only thing for me was the small looking bill of the bird, but I guess that may be due to (as it appears) the bird in the photo is looking a little bit to its right and also the bristles around the nostrils may be obscuring the bill's actual length somewhat.

So, I am going with Hairy Woodpecker now as most of the characteristics of this species are shown by the bird in the photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back