• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (6 Viewers)

Cheers,How do you guys edit your vids for uploading to the web?
I did one in Windows Live Movie Maker but there was no sound and the quality wasnt the best.The one I uploaded to Flickr was straight from the card and took ages.
Thanks,Mike.

Thanks for the replies to my earlier post and video links. I've not had the opportunity to do any videos for a week or two but I'm hoping to take a week off soon and will post some more then... A couple of things I have noticed so far:

The high magnification I'm getting with both my 600D videos and digiscoping with my ED50 scope and S95 compact mean that a good tripod head would make a big difference. I often find it pretty hard to keep the image centred where I want it to be when I lock the tripod down. The scope / tripod or 600D / tripod combination seems to dip a little meaning that I am having to aim them a little higher than I actually want and hope that the image drops into the right place when I tighten the tripod. This is pretty frustrating, but usually do-able for birds that arent moving around much. I've just ordered a Gitzo GH2720QR Bird Watching Head which is expensive, £250... :-( but should sort this problem out. It should also allow me to pan smoothly which is also difficult to do, especially when I use my smaller tripod.

The focus on the 600D video is pretty slow, but does seem to get there in a reasonable amount of time. I've currently auto-focus by half-pressing the shutter which seems to work for me. Manual focus is something I'm going to try out more shortly. You can re-focus in the middle of taking a video but if you do this by auto-focussing by half-pressing the shutter the focussing seems to hunt across pretty the full range of focusing before finding the right point. This means the image goes totally out of focus before finding the focus point again even if it is only slightly "off" to start with. This is the reason I want to give manual focus a try...

The excellent camera reviews on the dpreview.com website mention that the live-view / video auto-focus on the 600D isn't as good as it is on some of it's competitors so it may pay to look around. (I guess they are talking about Nikon DSLRs...) But as I've already got Canon lenses etc. changing manufacturers this wasn't really a sensible option for me...

I hope the above are of some use to people thinking of getting the 600D to take videos, I'd say that it is undoubtedly capable of taking good stuff but will take a bit of getting use to and I'm still very much a beginner myself...

In terms of taking still photos, the 600D is excellent and seems to me to be quicker at auto-focussing than my previous 500D. I'm not sure if this is the result of changes in the way the two cameras focus or some sort of false impression on my part. The sensors are different (15 MPxiel for the 500D, 18 MPixel for the 600D) and both cameras have the same DIGIC 4 image processor. (Perhaps the focusing algorithm has been "tweaked"(?) but I don't know anything about such things...) Martin G.

Last edited:
I use proper programs like sony vegas and things like that to edit my movies.

I know this isn't a bird but I got this video of a Mountain hare today. Its a bit soft on the close up but that was with 500mmf4 and the 1.4 & 2x tcs stacked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZwePRp6cU4

Hi Peteh,

Just been looking at your Little Gull video, very well done. I'm going to give videoing flying birds a go soon, I expect it will involve much swearing and many failed attempts.. ;-) M

Much has been said in the past about the use of TCs with the 100-400IS lens. Some people say that the combination does not give very good results.

The footage linked below was taken with a 7D and 100-400IS lens with 1.4x+2x stacked TCs at a range of 22.8m at 3200 ISO. I was able to achieve autofocus using Live View.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvJtajXdQk4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Any comments appreciated.

Mike

AMAZING JUST WHAT CAN BE DONE, very nice.
Rob.

I often use a 1.4 T/C on the 100-400L with my 7D. For videos it's great, for stills not so good. It can AF in liveview.

I suspected even a 2X would provide nice video results, Mike's Song Thrush proves that.

S/S is so slow anyway I generally use ISO 100 so it usually looks pretty 'clean'. Obviously with stacked t/cs I'd need to up that, surprised Mike used 3200, was it at first light early in the morning?

I often use a 1.4 T/C on the 100-400L with my 7D. For videos it's great, for stills not so good. It can AF in liveview.

I suspected even a 2X would provide nice video results, Mike's Song Thrush proves that.

S/S is so slow anyway I generally use ISO 100 so it usually looks pretty 'clean'. Obviously with stacked t/cs I'd need to up that, surprised Mike used 3200, was it at first light early in the morning?

I have the 100-400 lens and a Kenko 1.4x but I have hardly used them together because of the focusing problems. I had a little success with taping pins but the AF was really slow. I use the above with a 40d and I'm about to move up to a 7d. I have never used liveview but I don't understand how or why AF will work in liveview, could you please shed some light on it

I thought the only way you can use liveview is in MF as you have to select this to switch over don't you

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the focusing in live view is different, you can choose either live mode or quick mode. The latter uses whatever AF mode you were using before switching to live view (ie it disables live view for a short time whilst it's doing that and cannot focus if the max aperture is over f5.6, this is called phase detection AF), the former is slower but still works at f8 or even lower (this is contrast detection AF). This is with the 7D, dunno about your 40D.

AF is not so relevant for video anyway.

TBH I reckon T/Cs are not worth using on a 100-400L for stills. Even if you get AF to work the drop in IQ (in my experience at least) isn't worth it, cropping gives better results.

For video though it is well worth using as the drop in IQ is not discernible.

Stu,

The camera was set on Auto ISO whilst in video mode. I had forgot to manually set the ISO but was quite happy with the result. Attached below a still taken at the same time.(1/320th at f/16 at 3200 ISO).

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1684bf.jpg
    IMG_1684bf.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back