• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

The w/end

Twite at Rog on Saturday with the finch flock in first crop field past allotments. Also seen Sunday I gather.

Glauc still at Balbriggan as is Black Red; 2 Jack Snipe at Portmarnock on Sunday afternoon. Two separate flocks of 26 and 75 Stock Dove in Lusk/Rush areas on Saturday only other sightings of note.

Some shots from Swords attached:

Attachments

• bkwit180208.JPG
    bkwit180208.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 136
  • bkwit180208_1.JPG
    bkwit180208_1.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 138
  • CG120208.jpg
    CG120208.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 144
The w/end

And a few from the garden....

Attachments

• Bkcp160208 copy.jpg
    Bkcp160208 copy.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Bfnch150208.JPG
    Bfnch150208.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 133
  • siskin170208.jpg
    siskin170208.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 145
Dave,
Great photographs, all super quality. What's the secret?
What area of Balbriggan are the Gull & Bl Red? are they both about the harbour?
We almost never get Bullfinch or Siskins in our garden and in fact they are pretty 'rare' in the area.
Regards, Joe

Joe,

Ta for that - just the light was good for a change.

Gull is around the general harbour area - been on the beach north of harbour, out on water and around back of south pier also. Black Red seems to favour south pier around O Sheas and rocky area behind south pier. Bit elusive at times!

Bullfinch regular in garden at this time of year - a pair usually arrive and de-bud a sargenti-type cherry tree I inherited with the gaff.

l

Gull is around the general harbour area - been on the beach north of harbour, out on water and around back of south pier also. Black Red seems to favour south pier around O Sheas and rocky area behind south pier. Bit elusive at times!

Great shots Dave. I must go south of the border next week and check out Balbriggan 'docks' and the Lapland Buntings.

I spent several hours surveying in the Phoenix Park today and had two Brambling opposite the Wellington Monument in a wooded area. Also 3 Jay and 4 Treecreeper and about 20 Skylark in the 15 Acres. Nice few Lesser Redpoll and Siskin and Redwing about the place.

Thanks Peter.

Great shots Dave. I must go south of the border next week and check out Balbriggan 'docks' and the Lapland Buntings.

You'll have to cross that little bit of Mordor first before reaching us don't forget!!

I spent several hours surveying in the Phoenix Park today and had two Brambling opposite the Wellington Monument in a wooded area. Also 3 Jay and 4 Treecreeper and about 20 Skylark in the 15 Acres. Nice few Lesser Redpoll and Siskin and Redwing about the place.

Nice record of Skylarks in the Park; they regular there? - Also still need Jay for year for county...

BTW - Anytime I've seen Purple Sands at Clogher they've been on the rocks below 'traditional' seawatch spot.

Thanks Peter.

Nice record of Skylarks in the Park; they regular there? - Also still need Jay for year for county...

BTW - Anytime I've seen Purple Sands at Clogher they've been on the rocks below 'traditional' seawatch spot.

Yes Skylark still breed int the Phoenix Park. Mainly in the 15 acres at the Popes Cross, but I also had a singing male at the Polo Grounds last summer.

Sean Geraty regularly birds in the park,where he works. I think he has had about 40 Skylark in winter.

One species seems to have gone extinct as a breeder in the park Reed Bunting. A pair nested beside the Aras lake before the zoo took it over but I havent seen them since (6 years).
Arable seed eaters are rare in the park(probably on account of the lack of land under cultivation!). Still one Stock Dove knocking around.

A survey last summer showed Jay is still widespread in the park. Yet no sign of Long eared Owl which is a mystery. Anybody out there seen Long-eared Owl in the Phoenix Park in the last few years?

Re; Clogher Head and Purple Sandpipers I presume the 'traditional seawatching point' is at the end of the wall that divides the head in two, the furthest point east?

Last edited:
Some shots of various members of the thrush family from around the Phoenix park during the last couple of weeks.

Attachments

• red DSC01632.JPG
    red DSC01632.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 140
  • song DSC01529.JPG
    song DSC01529.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 120
  • mistleDSC01912.JPG
    mistleDSC01912.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 115
  • fieldDSC01136.JPG
    fieldDSC01136.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 124
  • blackDSC01918.JPG
    blackDSC01918.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 124
Some shots of various members of the thrush family from around the Phoenix park during the last couple of weeks.

A clean sweep! Well done Eanin.
Siberian or Dusky Thrush would be nice next time!

I was in the park today doing some survey work and managed to see just a single Fieldfare. They seem to be scarce enough. Plenty of Redwing though.
Saw another Jay today and 4 Treecreeper and a Sparrowhawk in the Aras. Not much else of note.

They have moved the deer out of the Aras so that should improve things for the birds.

Still a nice day to be out and about.

Booterstown Marsh and West Pier this morning, 7am to 10am, nothing special to report. A few Mergansers off the pier, a handful of GC Grebes, good numbers (14 or so) RT Divers, a flock of about 22 Common Scoter far out in the Bay. I was actually looking for Water Rail at Booterstown, which I'm told can sometimes be seen on the marsh, before sunrise when the tide is out. No joy. Has anyone any advice on seeing Water Rail in the Dublin area?

Booterstown Marsh and West Pier this morning, 7am to 10am, nothing special to report. A few Mergansers off the pier, a handful of GC Grebes, good numbers (14 or so) RT Divers, a flock of about 22 Common Scoter far out in the Bay. I was actually looking for Water Rail at Booterstown, which I'm told can sometimes be seen on the marsh, before sunrise when the tide is out. No joy. Has anyone any advice on seeing Water Rail in the Dublin area?

Not so sure about seeing them, which is quite difficult at the best of times. I find if they are there, particularly this time of year you will here them, (a pig like squeel) especially evening time and if your very lucky and have a good vantage point, you might get to see one.

Good Luck. I have heard a few in Louth over the last few weeks, allways late evening.

Hi,
Dipper action from the Delvin,
Joe

Attachments

• Dipper no 1.jpg
    Dipper no 1.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Dipper no 2.jpg
    Dipper no 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 139
  • Dipper no 3.jpg
    Dipper no 3.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Dipper no 4.jpg
    Dipper no 4.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 121
Peter,
Picture on left was taken this morning and the other three were taken in April 2007. All were taken from a hide I have in the garden of one of my neighbours: the Delvin runs through his garden and he has Little Grebe, Mallard and Teal as well as Dipper, Grey Wag, Common Sand (last April/May) and Kingfisher.
He has also had Sparrowhawk nest in his Garden which is pretty large and wildlife friendly.
Regards,
Joe

Blustery morning in the Phoenix park, 3 brambling still around.
heres a couple of pochard shots ( wild birds ) taken in the zoo
today.

Sean

Attachments

• Poch2DSC02128.JPG
    Poch2DSC02128.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 121
  • PochDSC02185.JPG
    PochDSC02185.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 120
Hi,
Action really slow on Dublin forum so a few more snaps to jolly things along.
Joe

Attachments

• 02 0 Gull.jpg
    02 0 Gull.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 03 0 Shelduck .jpg
    03 0 Shelduck .jpg
    156 KB · Views: 107
  • Swallow in flight.jpg
    Swallow in flight.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Swallows Four .jpg
    Swallows Four .jpg
    194 KB · Views: 124
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back