• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID: Aylesbury x Mallard? Manchester, UK (1 Viewer)

There's one Aylesbury duck in my local park which is always together with three other ducks, but I'm not sure what they are.

They're a bit smaller than the Aylesbury and a bit bigger than mallards. They're a very light brown colour mixed with white, with black beaks and feet. Their back end has the same kind of shape as an Aylesbury (slightly sticking up tail, saggy bottom).

What are they? A mallard/Aylesbury cross?

Edit: My photo attachments vanished? Not sure how this works...
Anyway: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3
Taken on my mobile so not all that clear. Last one is probably the best.

Last edited:
Yes, Aylesbury x mallard (all 3 female). It looks like the full Aylesbury on the left of the first shot is male, and probably the other one also.

Are the three brown ones not all young juveniles (no wings), so not possible to sex? It's a bit early for adults to be in wing moult.

I think you're right, but wouldn't there be a degree of drake plumage / bill coloration at this stage (there doesn't appear to be any remaining down), although I realise it's not likely to be to the extent of full mallard? IMO at this age the bills look too dark to be male but please correct me if that's not the case.

There is no recent wild mallard blood in the brown ducks. The brown birds are most likely khaki campbell \ Orpington \ Welsh harlequin domestic hybrid type birds.

Last edited:
There is no recent wild mallard blood in the brown ducks. The brown birds are most likely khaki campbell \ Orpington \ Welsh harlequin domestic hybrid type birds.

Agree, barnyard Mallards of a common type with nothing about them suggestive of recent back-crossing with wild stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back