• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dungeness, 24th . (1 Viewer)

shrikebirder

55 species. 4 lifers. OK. The only really annoying thing was that; we went on the bittern walk, everyone else saw the bittern, and I didn't! That would have been a lifer for me!

Last edited:
Shrikebirder,

Bad luck mate STILL 4 lifers in a day, that's something to be happy with. Now you are well "bittern" by the bug! Soz...

Be interested in what you did see as I'm planning to do a day down there Tuesday next.

Hi Shrikebirder,

I assume that you were in Rob's group rather than mine on the 'Bittern Safari' at Dungeness. I thought that his group got good views .... what happened? Unfortunately when it appeared for my group the bird flew up on the far side of the reserve so only few people saw it. They tend to drop down fairly quickly so you have to be very quick, lucky or both! At least we had a Bittern - they failed to show on our Bittern specific walk last year.

Do try again - details of walks are on the RSPB website - as I'd be delighted to show you one. Make sure you say 'hello' as I lead many of the walks at Dunge. You can massively increase your chances of seeing Bittern at Dungeness (and elsewhere) by looking after a sharp frost. This freezes up many of the birds' favoured feeding sites which means that they are far more likely to fly - rather than walk - from one part of their hunting range to another.

Be interested in what you did see as I'm planning to do a day down there Tuesday next.

Hi, the ARC is currently better for seeing ducks (Goldeneye, Goosander, Gadwall, etc) and keep a sharp eye out for Peregrine. On the 'main reserve' you can see all these (but often more distantly). The Christmas Dell hide had 2 Red-crested Pochards and a Slavonian Grebe whilst the Dengemarsh Hide has a Black-necked Grebe. Smew are few in number, but Christmas Dell is arguably the best hide for them. Down on the point there may also be an Iceland Gull. Look at the KOS website for more details of birds in the area,

Also had at least 4 Smew on the ARC pit on Saturday, incl 1 drake. I think a Glauc was also reported from somewhere near the power station today as well.

PS - John - good to see you briefly on Saturday, it was my Dad and I that pointed out the Slav, and then made way for your group to get into the hide! With the Night Heron and Rye Harbour LEOs, we had a cracking day in the area.

Right..Looks as though the ARC site it is. I will, however, check the reprot the day before so that I get the best chance of spotting some good ones. Thanks for the advice.

John - good to see you briefly on Saturday, it was my Dad and I that pointed out the Slav, and then made way for your group to get into the hide! .

Do thank your Dad again for me - it's always difficult when you're taking a largish group round and the hides are packed. On the one hand I don't want to barge in, but on the other hand visitors want to see as much as they can. Happily, I always find people very understanding and thoughtful - but I never take them for granted! A pity I didn't have more time as it would have been pleasant to have had a chat. Do say 'hello' next time you bump into one another,

THE LIST:
mute swan
greylag goose
canada goose
shelduck
wigeon
gadwall
mallard
pintail
shovler
teal
red crested pochard*
pochard
ruddy duck*
tufted duck
goldeneye
smew*
pheasant
little grebe
great crested grebe
slavonian grebe
black necked grebe
cormarant
grey heron
sparrowhawk
kestrel
moorhen
coot
herring gull
LBBG
lapwing
dunlin
black headed gull
GBBG
common gull
stock dove
woodpigeon
collared dove
parakeet
green woodpecker
robin
blackbird
redwing
cetti's warbler*

bearded tit*
blue tit
great tit
magpie
jackdaw
rook
starling
house sparrow
chaffinch
reed bunting
feral pigeon
buzzard

*=lifer

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back