• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (12 Viewers)

Looking for Red Kites

whitburnmark said:
I had a meeting with the Northern Kites project manager at the weekend and we've got something a bit firmer sorted for the April 'Durham Raptor Watch' mentioned previously. On both Saturday 7th (Easter Saturday) and Saturday 15th April, willing volunteers will be organised into pairs/3s and will position themselves at likely kite/raptor areas between 10.00 and 12.00 (the peak raptor flying period). The Northern Kites team will give us some potential areas to check, where the habitat is just right or where kites have been recently seen. The main idea is to try and locate any kites showing signs of establishing territory, so Northern Kites can then monitor them more closely. It's really just watching the area for a couple of hours, noting the behaviour of any kites seen (hopefully), and just enjoying the sunshine and the other raptors/birds in the area. It should also be a good opportunity to try get an idea of the size of our Buzzard population, and who knows, Goshawks or other surprises may pop up. As we're just doing the watch for a couple of hours, there'll be then chance to get together for a social sandwich/drink and enjoy the rest of the day.
If anyone who hasn't got transport wants to participate, we should be able to get something sorted for car sharing/lifts. Obviously if the weather is looking decidely dodgy, we can then make alternative plans. At least we'll have 2 dates to aim at.
If anyone fancies joining in, drop me a PM or email saying which date and I'll get a list of people sorted. We'll sort out the fine details a bit nearer the time.

A Red Kite reported from Rainton Meadows on Wednesday

Its quiet tonight?
Stevie very kindly delivered loads of Tree Sparrow boxes yesterday, some delivered to my neighbour who reports (my) Barn Owl was in his garden through the week!
My boxes have all been put up...with 'for sale / to let' signs and blow me, Iv'e already had some students round!
Hope Jaybee can come round next week and take some proper pics.

Paul

Paul Mc said:
Its quiet tonight?
Stevie very kindly delivered loads of Tree Sparrow boxes yesterday, some delivered to my neighbour who reports (my) Barn Owl was in his garden through the week!
My boxes have all been put up...with 'for sale / to let' signs and blow me, Iv'e already had some students round!
Hope Jaybee can come round next week and take some proper pics.

Paul

if he cant paul i will. Dont know if you know or not but i taught jaybee and Ianf all they know bout photography , plus Im a member of the 2006 quiz team champions ;) lol, ( wont let them forget about that) Also its not commonly known but Steve Evans always runs his posts past me just to make sure they sound ok ;) So there you have it my friend if you need me ... call me!!!!!!!!. Well it got you thinking didnt it, didnt it ? But on a serious note i would love to have a butchers around youre patch it sounds great, cheers Ted

Paul Mc said:
........<snip>.............delivered to my neighbour who reports (my) Barn Owl was in his garden through the week!..............
Paul

is that garden as in garden gnomes & pot plants OR garden as in hooves & troughs ?
either way pls Email me a grid ref.
SE

Chiffchaff

1st Chiffchaff of the year at washingwell woods this morning. liam and i went looking for tawnys with no luck but will be back up there later. pair of yellowhammer and gray wag seem to be making there Territorys up by the stream

Bishop Middleham

the Lapwings etc wont be long....
SE[/QUOTE]

I just had a quick look back over the postings for the week.
I had a quick look at the site on thursday on the way to work. I didn't go too far in but there were at least four lapwings flying and soaring. Brilliant.
Is this some kind of mating ritual?

Had a ride to Weardale yesterday with CW.
What a pleasure it is to be in the company of such a knowledgable guy as him.
Unfortunately not even Colin could control the weather and it pretty much rained and stayed overcast all day.
Black grouse were just to distant (counted 15) and under such gloomy conditions a photograph was never going to happen.
Even shots of the red grouse were hit and miss with the ever present rain and black clouds.
Still we had a great drive around and picked up the odd photo on the way.
Looking forward to going back when the sun is shining as its a bit of a paradise for photographers.

Attachments

• dipper-00006.jpg
    dipper-00006.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 78
  • dipper-00009.jpg
    dipper-00009.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 112
  • red_grouse-00002.jpg
    red_grouse-00002.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 106
  • red_grouse-00004.jpg
    red_grouse-00004.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 97
  • goosander-00050.jpg
    goosander-00050.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 94
ted hilland said:
Dont know if you know or not but i taught jaybee and Ianf all they know bout photography
cheers Ted
I didnt even know how to take a photo of a bird until I read Teds Book "Box Brownie - The ultimate camera for the serious birder" ;) ;)

Rare photo

Was lucky enough to get extremely rare shots of a Colinicus Wilsonicus not only gathering nesting material at Hetton Bogs but also of the individual actually on the nest.
The CW has been a regular vistor to the Bogs and local area for many years though sightings are rare as it constantly patrols its vast territory.
Playing tracks from Chers Greatest Hits can, on occassion, bring the CW out into the open.

Attachments

• _DSC2816.jpg
    _DSC2816.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 128
  • _DSC0513.jpg
    _DSC0513.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Boldon Flats

The sluice gate at Boldon Flats was taken out this morning by a couple of willing DBC volunteers. Unfortunately the timing of its removal is forced by the local council (part of the lease) and is a shame as there are still good numbers of birds using the site. So if you go there in the next wek or so and find there's not a lot of water left, that's the reason!
When we were removing the sluice, two Grey Herons flew past, one chasing the other. When I looked with my bins, I could see the reason - one was carrying a Weasel! I couldn't see if the Weasel was still alive or not and the herons eventually landed out of view. First time I've actually seen a Grey Heron with this prey.

ted hilland said:
if he cant paul i will. Dont know if you know or not but i taught jaybee and Ianf all they know bout photography , plus Im a member of the 2006 quiz team champions ;) lol, ( wont let them forget about that) Also its not commonly known but Steve Evans always runs his posts past me just to make sure they sound ok ;) So there you have it my friend if you need me ... call me!!!!!!!!. Well it got you thinking didnt it, didnt it ? But on a serious note i would love to have a butchers around youre patch it sounds great, cheers Ted

Rumour has it you don't know your arse from your tail 8-P

By the way, received the DBC 2002/3 combined annual reports today - excellent articles and great pics - well done to all concerned.

Can anyone confirm how many have now been sent out? - I have the 2004 and am sure 2005 and possibly 2006 were sent. Or did I dream it? Someone please confirm to stop me looking for something I ain't gonna find.

Ta B :)

Feedback / Questionnaire

Quacker said:
.........<snip>.........

By the way, received the DBC 2002/3 combined annual reports today - excellent articles and great pics - well done to all concerned.

nice to get some positive feedback.
great pics in there from the clubs IanF & DaveB

dont forget to include the same comments on the questionnaire form !

"Annual reports" & "up to date" aren't something we've been used to associating with DBC for several years now....... ;)

reports are a team effort, but whitburnmark certainly deserves a big slap on the back for masterminding the recent slick & informative productions.
Im sure he'll fill us all in on the report thats currently in progress
SE

Last edited:
I had quick visit to Low Barns this afternoon between 3 - 4.30 p.m after visiting Langdon Beck area. Apart from the usual residents the Northumbrian Hide produced a Woodcock and a Hooded Crow which didn't look like hybrids previously reported. It was interesting to watch it walking along feeding until two Carrion Crows moved it on with a couple of angry open beak gestures.

There was also a male Goosander on the river by the wear.

"By the way, received the DBC 2002/3 combined annual reports today - excellent articles and great pics - well done to all concerned."

Dont often agree with a Makem but got to with this one

whitburnmark said:
The sluice gate at Boldon Flats was taken out this morning by a couple of willing DBC volunteers. Unfortunately the timing of its removal is forced by the local council (part of the lease) and is a shame as there are still good numbers of birds using the site. So if you go there in the next wek or so and find there's not a lot of water left, that's the reason!
When we were removing the sluice, two Grey Herons flew past, one chasing the other. When I looked with my bins, I could see the reason - one was carrying a Weasel! I couldn't see if the Weasel was still alive or not and the herons eventually landed out of view. First time I've actually seen a Grey Heron with this prey.
we seen a heron on the river derwent with an eel about 2ft long and Wondered what it was going to do with such a massive thing it took in away from water and beat it to death then swallowed it whole amazing

Got to agree on the Annual report...excellent read. Particularly liked the feature on the Bee Eaters. Ideal for someone like myself who spent more time fishing instead of Birding around that period.

Walked 5 mile into Castle Eden Dene from my house towards dusk. I was hoping to see some Tawny Owl activity around an old tree stump I found 2 years ago (I say found...it was actually right on the footpath and the warden showed me it) Had good views of Tawnys going in and out of the hole at the top of the stump the last 2 years. Got there to find it had blown down over the winter. |:(|

Quacker said:
Rumour has it you don't know your arse from your tail 8-P

Can anyone confirm how many have now been sent out? - I have the 2004 and am sure 2005 and possibly 2006 were sent. Or did I dream it? Someone please confirm to stop me looking for something I ain't gonna find.

Don't think you'll find 2006 as it is still in production but coming along very well. Hopefully will be with in or about June. Perhaps you were thinking about 2001 as it was produced in from memeory early on in 2006 as well as 2004 in September and 2005 as an early Xmas present. Some serious work gone on in 2006 by the County Recorders and their associates and nice to find it appreciated.

The Chairman said:
Don't think you'll find 2006 as it is still in production but coming along very well. Hopefully will be with in or about June. Perhaps you were thinking about 2001 as it was produced in from memeory early on in 2006 as well as 2004 in September and 2005 as an early Xmas present. Some serious work gone on in 2006 by the County Recorders and their associates and nice to find it appreciated.

Cheers Mr Chair!

Saves me looking, though I am missing the 2005 one - I know I received it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back