• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

The few dedicated Whitburn seawatchers braved the blizzards this morning (with Ross still in position as I speak, mainly as he's frozen to the seat and there's no-one to free him). Between white-outs, passage was OK, but not brilliant. Highlights were 2 Blue Fulmars amongst 120 'normal' Fulmars in the first 2 hours, Velvet Scoter, ad s/p Mediterranean Gull and 6 Little Auks between 9.50 and 10.40. Things may improve over the next day or so as the wind drops and birds return north.

Recent upland Short-eareds at Hedleyhope & Ruffside, with Barn Owl close to the latter site too.

Good nos of Fieldfares on the moor edge nr Rookhope with a loose group of 700+ there.

Todays weather has seen a mixed flock of 40+ Chaff & Greenfinch assemble around local feeders - with all the recent singing, chasing & displaying having gone out the winda for the time being.

SE

Last edited:
StevieEvans said:
Recent upland Short-eareds at Hedleyhope & Ruffside, with Barn Owl close to the latter site too.

Good nos of Fieldfares on the moor edge nr Rookhope with a loose group of 700+ there.

Todays weather has seen a mixed flock of 40+ Chaff & Greenfinch assemble around local feeders - with all the recent singing, chasing & displaying having gone out the winda for the time being.

SE
Hi, Stevie,
this is a bit technical for me ( using the forum I mean ), just wanted to ask if you got my email about LEO,s in Weardale as I,m going up there this weekend,
allan rowell

Durham Bird Club

The venue for the April indoor meeting has now been confirmed as Eggleston Village Hall. This meeting is on Thursday 19th April and begins at 7:30 p.m. A tongue-in-cheek and not overly serious account will be given by the Durham Blackcocks on "Big Days in County Durham." You can join the team as they relive the highs and lows of ten years of "bird racing". The spring bird race is an annual and national charity event where teams compete in an attempt to see as many species as possible in their respective counties, within 24 hours. Durham Blackcocks are this year's defending national champions. The days themselves are a mix of elation, frustration, laughs, moans and groans, but are always enjoyable as the team races around all parts of Durham. If you think you may enjoy this talk then why not have a think about putting together a team for yourself? At the end of the day it's the birds that benefit from all monies raised.

Eggleston Village Hall is in the centre of the village opposite the Three Tuns pub. The grid reference of the location is NY 999 238

whitburnmark said:
The few dedicated Whitburn seawatchers braved the blizzards this morning (with Ross still in position as I speak, mainly as he's frozen to the seat and there's no-one to free him). Between white-outs, passage was OK, but not brilliant. Highlights were 2 Blue Fulmars amongst 120 'normal' Fulmars in the first 2 hours, Velvet Scoter, ad s/p Mediterranean Gull and 6 Little Auks between 9.50 and 10.40. Things may improve over the next day or so as the wind drops and birds return north.

7 Little Auks in the end, brightening up an otherwise fairly dull seawatch. They looked as fantastic as ever against the backdrop of the waves and white crests. One was in summer plumage - not often seen off our coast.

Adult Pom Skua reported off Hartlepool (with poss same bird at South Gare) but otherwise no other seawatching reports from east coast.

allan rowell said:
Hi, Stevie,
this is a bit technical for me ( using the forum I mean ), just wanted to ask if you got my email about LEO,s in Weardale as I,m going up there this weekend,
allan rowell

Hiya Allan
think thats maybe gone to my old Email address ?
new one is:-
stevie-evans"at"hotmail.com - ( replace "at" with @ )

Im sure i got your Tel number at the projects meet...... will give you a buzz 2moro if that is i can fathom out my new all singing all dancing mobile fone...... It does everything, you know, Pedometer, GPS, Torch, mago pixel camera & video, etc, but havnt worked out yet if i can phone anyone on it ;)

harry oliver said:
.......<snip>.......harrier olley........

who's this Harry Oliver then ?
welcome to BF.... who ever you are. ;)

Central area - late report from Weekend
pair of Kingfishers with nesting hole well excavated & a pair of Barn Owls hunting together.

END.

Green Sandpiper still at Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park on weir above boardwalk hump back bridge this morning. Also nice to see the pair of Canada Goose back on the island where they usually breed - first time I've seen them there this year.

Little else of note about.

Interesting report just appeared on Birdguides:
"Gyr Falcon:Langdon Beck, juv. wearing jesses from the road between here and Cow Green res. (08.00)"
Shame about the jesses but no doubt still a fine sight.

Thornley wood / far pasture

Lovely weather today and the birds look much nicer in the sunlight.

At Thornley the usual suspects , plus Song Thrush and Jay put in appearences.

Greenfinch was nice to see, not seen nor heard too many of these lately.

4 Little Grebe, 30+Teal, 3 Mallard.6+Coot and 4+Moorhen and over 20 Snipe.on Far Pasture.

Reed Bunting and calling Chiffchaff in the car park along with singing Dunnoocks

Attachments

• forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 82
  • forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 98
  • forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
  • forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 109
  • forum.jpg
    forum.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 115
Elemore Local Patch Raptor Watchpoint

Guided tour of Derek.C Country this morning, by the local expert himself no-less.
Black ice, snow cover & only 1 degree on setting out to visit this previously little known area, which is adjacent to the very well known man with stick Wilson Country. With a powerful sun out and up to a pleasant 12 deg on way back at noon.

one of the best views in the County...
or something similar in a recent Lek......
In the perfectly clear morning air we could see Durham Cathederal, The Angel of Scrap, Kirk Merrington Church & Hedleyhope wind turbines all in the middle distance.
Behind them & a fair way off, i was amazed to see the distinctive form of the snow capped Cheviot peaks to the north & the large coniferous swaithe of The Stang marking the southern limit of our Club recording area.

But what of its birds ( i knew Derek meant business as he had even brought a pair of binoculars ! )
So i tried to make an impressive start "think i heard a Tree spug there.." says i, "thats those Guinea fowl down there" was the curt reply........ I kicked my good myself firmly - i should have remembered their call from twitching those at Finchale at the weekend. (the fowls that is not the sparrows).

Nevermind, i quickly spotted a Robin & was well into my stride when i astounded my guide with a singing cock Chaffinch. Ah, all was well now & i could relax & begin to enjoy the walk. ;)
All 4 common finches were noted with ease, as well as all the common garden birds including Song thrush, Collared Dove & Wren etc. The light was perfect & a back drop of snow showed these birds off to their best.
A discreet check of a quiet corner revealed recent signs of a Barn owl with an almost black cock Pheasant giving us a start. Bright cock Yellowhammers & Skylarks were in fine song.
A distant buzzing alerted us to Willow tits, as we got close the calls sounded odd - had we got it right or was a Great tit making us out to also be a pair of Parus majors...... but yes we were correct Willows it was, although they were a very "tinny" sounding pair, a second pair seen later on along with several Long taileds.
Into a more open area now, with a couple of Meadow Pipits flicking north up & over a fence line with 5 cock Reed Buntings all sat together. Yellowhammers in singles & pairs with 20 or more in total. A bankside of bright yellow whinny bushes held a colony of Linnets, 5 or more cocks all singing over the top of each other - they had only recently returned.
Round the bend a small rock face held 30 odd paired Jackdaws & 2 pair of Stock Doves - very wary & belting off at speed. Down in the valley below 300+ Wood Pigeon were taking a nice chunk out of an autumn sown cereal.
There had been mention of Little Owl but i played it cool - i knew i would see it first - but my bird guide was on home ground & as we rounded a bend he quickly shouted out as one glared at us from a small Ash, while he was mobbed by Chaffs, Yellowhammers & a Blue tit in perfect light - off he bounded followed by his agitators. Below his perch masses of pellets & tiny mammal jaw bones & skulls. Another 9 Stock Dove across over open fields & a pair of Partridge.
Heading up over the top field, were Snow Buntings have been seen Skylarks were busy as well as 20 Magpie, a Mistley, a pole top Kes & another Partridge pair.
Time to take a breather & check a box from afar - no signs of activity, so we wandered over for a look across the woodlands. A likely viewpoint gave us a fair view around. By this time there was a fair bit heat in the sun & combined with a slight breeze it was looking good for a bird of prey or two.
A distant female Sparrowhawk soared in the distance, with a male dropping like a stone close by. Another, an adult female soared away to the north. A brief flash of a falcon was inconclusive.... & it seemed like Buzzards would be a no show.

How many times does it happen? "Aye we better be getn back" advised the leader as he stepped away..... i had one last look & within 3 seconds a large UFO was headed towards us.
A Buzzard came closer & soon brought another 2 into the air, a brief scrap as two lifted & quickly gained height. Then in came a Peregrine to investigate with another shadowing him above, a quick scan round revealed 2 pairs of Sparrowhawks soaring round. The Buzzards continued on skyward to a great height, leaving the Pers below, with some interaction on the way. At this point one of the Peregrines drifted closer before effortlessly heading off to the north. As a Buzzard pair again settled to perch.
The "getn back" was delayed by half an hour, but we'd added 5 Sparrowhawk, 4 Kestrel, 2 Peregrine & 4 Buzzard.
Cheers Derek 10 /10

Last edited:
Male Blackcap in back garden this afternoon was a bit of a surprise. Ironically, probably a result of cold weather. It announced it's presence with a few bursts of song!

Still decent numbers of buntings coming to my garden feeder (between Jarrow and West Boldon) - 8-10 Yellowhammers and 6+ Reed Buntings. Interestingly, all the Reed Buntings are males, the females present over the past month or so seemed to have cleared off. I'd have thought it would have been the other way round, with males leaving first to set up territories? The Yellowhammers are still a mix of both sexes. Also 6+ Tree Sparrows, but these are declining week by week.

ho hum

StevieEvans said:
Guided tour of Derek.C Country this morning, by the local expert himself no-less.
Black ice, snow cover & only 1 degree on setting out to visit this previously little known area, which is adjacent to the very well known man with stick Wilson Country. With a powerful sun out and up to a pleasant 12 deg on way back at noon.

or something similar in a recent Lek......
In the perfectly clear morning air we could see Durham Cathederal, The Angel of Scrap, Kirk Merrington Church & Hedleyhope wind turbines all in the middle distance.
Behind them & a fair way off, i was amazed to see the distinctive form of the snow capped Cheviot peaks to the north & the large coniferous swaithe of The Stang marking the southern limit of our Club recording area.

But what of its birds ( i knew Derek meant business as he had even brought a pair of binoculars ! )
So i tried to make an impressive start "think i heard a Tree spug there.." says i, "thats those Guinea fowl down there" was the curt reply........ I kicked my good myself firmly - i should have remembered their call from twitching those at Finchale at the weekend. (the fowls that is not the sparrows).

Nevermind, i quickly spotted a Robin & was well into my stride when i astounded my guide with a singing cock Chaffinch. Ah, all was well now & i could relax & begin to enjoy the walk. ;)
All 4 common finches were noted with ease, as well as all the common garden birds including Song thrush, Collared Dove & Wren etc. The light was perfect & a back drop of snow showed these birds off to their best.
A discreet check of a quiet corner revealed recent signs of a Barn owl with an almost black cock Pheasant giving us a start. Bright cock Yellowhammers & Skylarks were in fine song.
A distant buzzing alerted us to Willow tits, as we got close the calls sounded odd - had we got it right or was a Great tit making us out to also be a pair of Parus majors...... but yes we were correct Willows it was, although they were a very "tinny" sounding pair, a second pair seen later on along with several Long taileds.
Into a more open area now, with a couple of Meadow Pipits flicking north up & over a fence line with 5 cock Reed Buntings all sat together. Yellowhammers in singles & pairs with 20 or more in total. A bankside of bright yellow whinny bushes held a colony of Linnets, 5 or more cocks all singing over the top of each other - they had only recently returned.
Round the bend a small rock face held 30 odd paired Jackdaws & 2 pair of Stock Doves - very wary & belting off at speed. Down in the valley below 300+ Wood Pigeon were taking a nice chunk out of an autumn sown cereal.
There had been mention of Little Owl but i played it cool - i knew i would see it first - but my bird guide was on home ground & as we rounded a bend he quickly shouted out as one glared at us from a small Ash, while he was mobbed by Chaffs, Yellowhammers & a Blue tit in perfect light - off he bounded followed by his agitators. Below his perch masses of pellets & tiny mammal jaw bones & skulls. Another 9 Stock Dove across over open fields & a pair of Partridge.
Heading up over the top field, were Snow Buntings have been seen Skylarks were busy as well as 20 Magpie, a Mistley, a pole top Kes & another Partridge pair.
Time to take a breather & check a box from afar - no signs of activity, so we wandered over for a look across the woodlands. A likely viewpoint gave us a fair view around. By this time there was a fair bit heat in the sun & combined with a slight breeze it was looking good for a bird of prey or two.
A distant female Sparrowhawk soared in the distance, with a male dropping like a stone close by. Another, an adult female soared away to the north. A brief flash of a falcon was inconclusive.... & it seemed like Buzzards would be a no show.

How many times does it happen? "Aye we better be getn back" advised the leader as he stepped away..... i had one last look & within 3 seconds a large UFO was headed towards us.
A Buzzard came closer & soon brought another 2 into the air, a brief scrap as two lifted & quickly gained height. Then in came a Peregrine to investigate with another shadowing him above, a quick scan round revealed 2 pairs of Sparrowhawks soaring round. The Buzzards continued on skyward to a great height, leaving the Pers below, with some interaction on the way. At this point one of the Peregrines drifted closer before effortlessly heading off to the north. As a Buzzard pair again settled to perch.
The "getn back" was delayed by half an hour, but we'd added 5 Sparrowhawk, 4 Kestrel, 2 Peregrine & 4 Buzzard.
Cheers Derek 10 /10

how do you do that? Iv never had a day like that! Perhaps it will come in time with a little more experience and patience! When i was there the only bird of note i saw was a long tailed tit! Ho hum

steve great report, how do you do it I was along that way this afternoon and saw next to nowt, did get a photo of the dark pheasant though.

Attachments

• blue pheasant.jpg
    blue pheasant.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 116
I had a stroll along the beach at Seaton Snook this afternoon. Not a great deal about.

There were a half dozen Linnet along the fence by the field behind the dunes, Canada Goose x6 and a few Redshank. A couple of Meadow Pipit were flitting around as well.

Looking across Greatham Creek there were plenty of Shags and Red Breasted Merganser around, maybe a dozen of each. There were a few Cormorant and a few Shelduck.

The only waders seen were Oystercatcher, Dunlin, Ringed Plover and Sanderling x2.

Heading back along Zinc Works Road I saw Curlew, Mallard, Teal, Kestrel, Redshank and Yellowhammer.

Attachments

• IMG_3948ao.JPG
    IMG_3948ao.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4002ao.JPG
    IMG_4002ao.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4064ao.JPG
    IMG_4064ao.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4099ao.JPG
    IMG_4099ao.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 88
This evening I popped along to Hurworth Burn Reservoir. I came across one of the wardens who'd been down to see the LEO's. He'd also come across an SEO and Little Owl. He put me onto the location of the LO but there was no sign.

The LEO's on the other hand put on a very good display as they hunted along the cycleway often passing overhead - aren't cyclists a blessing! The Owls were hunting and landing in bushes but every time a cyclist came along they flew away from him and over me. I just stood still and waited ;)

I saw two LEO's and heard one calling.

Attachments

• IMG_4117bo.JPG
    IMG_4117bo.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4118bo.JPG
    IMG_4118bo.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4119bo.JPG
    IMG_4119bo.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4121bo.JPG
    IMG_4121bo.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4120ao.JPG
    IMG_4120ao.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 138
Early morning seawatching at Whitburn with PH produced a few birds, though there was still a rather quiet feel to proceedings. Six duck species included 2 Velvet Scoters and 2 Goosanders; a Blue Fulmar showed very well as it headed south and a Lapland Bunting flew north along the cliffs calling. There were some signs of passerine migration with a few Meadow Pipits and Skylarks over the sea. The leucistic/faded Herring Gull was also still around. No Sandwich Tern as yet, but there doesn't seem to be many reported around the country at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back