• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (28 Viewers)

Armed with the scuzz and jaybee guide, managed a good lunch of ham and cheese sandwich then these 2 appeared

dipper018a.jpg

Only trouble was in organising my sandwiches I forgot my tripod and monopod :eek!: so result a bit blurred. Still, will add that as a side note and venture out again later in the week

Meanwhile, time for a B :) - purely medicinal of course ;)

Dormans Pool 5.10pm this evening - Short-eared Owl x1 around the car park put on a good dispaly for Marmot - her first visit to see them here. After ten minutes it flew off south only to return a few minutes later being mobbed by four Crow. Last seen flying very high northwards over Dormans Pool with the Crows giving chase.

It was reported on TBC that yesterday morning two SEO pinned down a Barn Owl on the ground by the car park. Luckily it got free and flew away okay. No sign of it tonight up to 5.40pm.

Attachments

• IMG_3492bo.JPG
    IMG_3492bo.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3493ao.JPG
    IMG_3493ao.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3497ao.JPG
    IMG_3497ao.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3503ao.JPG
    IMG_3503ao.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3486ao.JPG
    IMG_3486ao.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
fifty pence mix up

firecrest report from lamesley reed beds this am

Great bird. Dont think we've even managed to conjure up a Chiffchaff yet on our patch......
Liked your latest images.
I reckon there's a fair number of wild birds, & birders, & feeding stations that really appreciate your support this winter:t:

I was wondering, Can you build me a similar bird trap:eek!: - suitable for a 5'4" female, may well be attracted in with pizza:eat:
:-O
--------------------

RBGull - seen again today around midday by ColinW et al, found yestday by MickyH.:t:

--------------------

Have had small nos of Siskins moving north over past 4 days, Houghton, Durham, Ch-le-St, Washington.

Oystercatcher over yestday, takes our garden list onto 44 this year.

Herring & LBBGulls back over the colony rooftops at Dham City

Blackbird with small young in the nest in Houghton town.

Woodcock roding this evening & Tawny Owl hunting from telegraph pole (poss after frogs, as several on roads) nr the Scouts Wood, Houghton.

Steve

Last edited:
Photography guide

It could be several hundred years before the name Scuzz and Jaybee are uttered in the same breathe as legendary bird photographers such as IanF and Snapper Evans but in the mean time we (Scuzz and I) thought that sharing our undoubted talent with others could be of use.
I've written a very short guide covering the basics of how we get such awe inspiring results.
The tricks and tips included in the guide are the culmination of all our hard work and being the sort of guys we are we thought we would share them :-O :-O :-O
The Guide can be read as a pdf file at the following address.

http://northeastwildlife.co.uk/looking.pdf

I now know the problem with my photograps- lack of coffee!!:-O

Nice one JBee and Scuzz

JBee, Can you give directions to your Barn owl. I would love to take a picture of him.

Regards

Beetlebug

In two minds Sunday what to do, bike (1st time this year) or birds :h?:- aah both o:). A bit restricted as bikes don't make good hides.
First off to Low Barns. Not a lot happening while I was there :-C. ''More of a listening day'' I was told, which isn't very helpful when you're not up to speed, or even dawdle in my case. The new feeder screens are now up but the actual feeders are still to relocate. Too many dogs / kids & cars about to make a stay worth while.......

Cowpen Bewley: Nice to put a person to the name IanF. Nice meeting you:hi: You'll be glad to hear that you didn't miss out on anything, of course you'd already have known that ;).
Haven't bothered posting any pics as there's enough double exposures with Scuzz & JBee:-O
I thought about tailing you. I wish I had (owl shots:t:)

:t:Andy

Nearly a full day in the local area today noting the following;

Birtley Reedbeds; Little Grebe, Teal, Mallard, Moorhen, Coot, 2 Kingfisher, 1 Grey Wagtail (over), 2 Mistle Thrush (over), 1 Chiffchaff (singing at 08:30 then calling repeatedly in the afternoon), Long-tailed Tit, Bullfinch & Reed Bunting.

Bowes Valley NR; 20+ Skylark, Meadow Pipit, 1 male Stonechat, 1 Goldcrest but no sign of the Firecrest.

Kibblesworth Brickworks Pool; 1 Little Grebe & a pair of Oystercatcher.

Clarty Lane/River Team/Urpeth Wood area; 2 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 3+ Grey Partridge, 7 Curlew, 1 GS Woodpecker, 1 Dipper, Jay heard, Bullfinch & 2 Yellowhammer.

Birtley Brickworks Pool area; 3 Mallard, 2 Moorhen, 2 Coot, 1pr Oystercatcher, Black-headed Gull, 4 Lesser Black-backed Gull (one ringed on left leg), Herring Gull, Common Gull, 1 Goldcrest, 1 Willow Tit, 1 Coal Tit.

Long Acre Wood; 1 GS Woodpecker, 2 Long-tailed Tit, 1 Coal Tit, 1 Treecreeper & 2 Bullfinch.

Local patch year list now upto 88 of which 67 have been seen in the last two day's.

Also today at Chester-le-St/Riverside; 47 Mute Swan's and a Dipper.

Last edited:
Belasis Avenue, Billingham/Haverton Hill by pipeline - 6.50am - Barn Owl out hunting.

Tilery Wood/A689 - 9.30am - Crossbill x5 'singing' in trees above car park. Also Willow Tit x2 on the tables plus Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit and a calling Nuthatch that came close but never came onto the tables.

Little Owl x2 north side of A689 plus Little Owl at Hurworth Burn Res in roadside tree by Dropswell Farm entrance - possibly a new nest site as I've never seen one in that tree before though the farmer was trimming hedges by a known nest tree 500m west. Also one at Pudding Poke Farm and one on telegraph pole by Trimdon cemetery.

On Hurworth Burn Res - Great Crested Grebe x5. Goosander x3, Goldeneye x3, Shelduck x5. Willow Tit, Robin and Blackbird on feeders.

Photos: 1. Chaffinch - 2. Coal Tit - 3. Willow Tit - 4. Little Owl - 5. Barn Owl

Attachments

• IMG_3686ao.JPG
    IMG_3686ao.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3899ao.JPG
    IMG_3899ao.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3947ao.JPG
    IMG_3947ao.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4198ao.JPG
    IMG_4198ao.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3548ao.JPG
    IMG_3548ao.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 98
Teeside

Had a couple of hours down Teeside today starting at Cowpen Bewley.
Tree Sparrows, Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Great Tit on the car park feeders. Walking round saw 3 Magpies, a few Crows, Yellowhammer, Robins and Blackbirds. At the main lake there was 1 Goldeneye, 2 Little Grebe, 5-7 Shoveller, 2 Mute Swans and loads of Tufties and Mallards. Including one that had a go at a Coot.

Zinc works road next Loads of flocks of Starlings, Crows and Gulls kept taking off but I couldn't see what was putting them up:h?: and only one Stonechat on the posts.

North Gare. Lots of Curlew, Lapwing, and Widgeon, 2 Redshanks, 1 Little Egret and four Greylags Geese.

No sign of the Red Necked Grebe at Hartlepool this afternoon between 3:00 - 4:00pm.

Attachments

• Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Starlings.jpg
    Starlings.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Fight 1.jpg
    Fight 1.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 61
Newburn Bridge 3-3-09

Called to Newburn Bridge this morning

Not much about other than a few Oyster Catchers and plenty of Gulls .

I did take this one maybe a ( Turnstone ) ? Any Help in comfirming this or correcting me would be great .

Cheers
Carl.

Attachments

• _MG_7912.jpg
    _MG_7912.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 67
Occasionally get a Grey Heron around the houses, presumably checking garden ponds for fish/frogs, today it was forced down by mobbing Gull's and stayed put until they left.

Attachments

• 03032009 003.jpg
    03032009 003.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 74
Called to Newburn Bridge this morning

Not much about other than a few Oyster Catchers and plenty of Gulls .

I did take this one maybe a ( Turnstone ) ? Any Help in comfirming this or correcting me would be great .

Cheers
Carl.

Carl.
Normally best to go to Newburn Bridge around High Tide or just before and nearly always get birds like purple sandpiper, sanderling, ringed plover, oyster catchers, knot, various gulls and med gull normally on nearby lampost.
Also pretty much the same birds at the headland between the two piers.

Weardale/Teesdale yesterday:

Large flocks of fieldfare, Lapwings and starlings around Langdon Beck area with few redwing. 7 male & 4 female black grouse seen, 3 grey partridge at a distance, 2 golden plover, 2 pied wagtail, 1 mistle thrush, chaffinch, blue & great tits, 1 kestrel and a few red grouse. Also managed to spot 1 buzzard which was miles away, high up.

Attachments

• _74H5785.jpg
    _74H5785.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_3635.jpg
    _MG_3635.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_3646.jpg
    _MG_3646.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_3722.jpg
    _MG_3722.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 61
  • _74H5905.jpg
    _74H5905.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 57
And a few black grouse and buzzard effort.

Attachments

• _MG_3906.jpg
    _MG_3906.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_4010.jpg
    _MG_4010.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_4069.jpg
    _MG_4069.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 83
  • _MG_4191.jpg
    _MG_4191.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_4222.jpg
    _MG_4222.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 69
Snapped this yesterday morning near Durham, only shot I got, can anyone I.D It for me ?.

Attachments

• _74H5701.jpg
    _74H5701.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 123
Barmston Pond,0545-0715.
1 Little Grebe
2 Mute Swan
2 Greylag Goose
Drake Teal
10 Mallard
Female Pochard
18 Tufted Duck
12 Coot
4 Moorhen
2 Oystercatcher
1 lbb gull

0735;
Greylag Goose flew north over washington highway and a coal tit along
the edge of the highway and 2-3 Yellowhammer at woodhouse farm n.hylton

0830;
15 Shelduck at claxheugh rock,s.hylton

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back