• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (28 Viewers)

Lesser spotted woodpeckers

Perhaps a long shot but with March heralded as the season for lesser spotted woodpeckers I was wondering what the chances are of seeing one locally.

Are there any known strongholds in the county?

Perhaps a long shot but with March heralded as the season for lesser spotted woodpeckers I was wondering what the chances are of seeing one locally.

Are there any known strongholds in the county?

I don't think that there is any real strongholds anywhere near here. A freind on Durham Bird Club Forum thought he saw one at Croxdale Estate not so long ago but it was unconfirmed. I don't think that there is anywhere in the County that is a really good spot for the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Potteric Carr in Doncaster has 1 pair of them :-O that's the closet place to here that I know of that has Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Here is something from Gateshead Bird Club website:
http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk/Rarebirds/Rarebird3.htm
I hope this is of some help,
Andrew Kinghorn
ps. In 2007 there where 9 recorced in the County.

Last edited:
Canaries in sedgefield, although not wild they caused alot of oohs and aaahs from the non birding public. Not likly to survive, as they are very conspicuous and a :cat: will get them:storm:. Probably going birding this friday. Where is the best place in the N tees Marshes to see SEOs? I went to Saltholme, seal sand s and greatham creek looking for them (saltholme x3 and not seen any:-C) any ideas. Pleas enclose a map, i don't now the area very well:eek!:

I don't think that there is any real strongholds anywhere near here. A freind on Durham Bird Club Forum thought he saw one at Croxdale Estate not so long ago but it was unconfirmed. I don't think that there is anywhere in the County that is a really good spot for the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Potteric Carr in Doncaster has 1 pair of them :-O that's the closet place to here that I know of that has Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers.

Here is something from Gateshead Bird Club website:
http://www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk/Rarebirds/Rarebird3.htm
I hope this is of some help,
Andrew Kinghorn
ps. In 2007 there where 9 recorced in the County.

Thanks for the info Andrew!

My expectations were always slim as the species appears to have never had a stronghold north of Yorkshire/Lancashire. I don't think that I'll be making a trip to Doncaster anytime soon!

Thanks for the info Andrew!

My expectations were always slim as the species appears to have never had a stronghold north of Yorkshire/Lancashire. I don't think that I'll be making a trip to Doncaster anytime soon!

ha ha Doncaster is pretty far I agree. I would still go out and keep a keen eye out for a lesser spotted woodpecker. You might well pick one up.:t:

...................... Probably going birding this friday. Where is the best place in the N tees Marshes to see SEOs? I went to Saltholme, seal sand s and greatham creek looking for them (saltholme x3 and not seen any:-C) any ideas. Pleas enclose a map, i don't now the area very well:eek!:

There's still at least one on Greenabella Marsh but Dormans Pool car park area around 5.00-5.30pm is probably still the best bet with up to two present and the chance of Barn Owl as well. They're usually around the car park area but can by anywhere aorund that area.

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve

Excellent selection of both wildfowl & waders on the Durham Bird Clubs Nature Reserve at Bishop Middleham today :-

14 Gadwall
2 Shoveller pair
4 Goosander 4 redheads hauled out & preening
12 Pochard
3+ Dabchick
120 Teal in total
160 Wigeon in total

3 Ruff
1 Ringed Plover
1 Dunlin
7 Oystercatcher
12 Golden Plover
12 Snipe
90 Curlew
145 Lapwing
20+ Redshank

Very few passerines, especially the farmland ones. We had singles only of Linnet, Reed Bunt & Yellowhammer. Was half expecting to see Corn Bunts singing in the sun.....
Along the railway line, Willow & Long tailed Tit, decent flocks of Fieldfare/Starling & Curlew. Little owl was at Moto-cross track as per usual. Several pairs & singles of Stock Dove throughout.

All visitors welcome. Plenty of footpaths & interpretive boards around site.
Parking at http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=432735&y=531269&z=115&sv=432735,531269&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=816&ax=432735&ay=531269&lm=0

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Clara Vale yesterday:

Much the same birds as the last visit, redpoll, siskin, wren, golfinch, greenfinch, gs woodpecker, heron, etc, also kingfisher which sat for ages on the perch to the left of the big pond.
Sphawk also flying through the station a few times and on one occassion, swooped in and picked a goldfich from the feeder, this happened in the blink of an eye and was amazing how It just seemed to reach out and grab the finch without hardly moving the feeder.

Popped down to Thornley Woods for an hour with the hope of getting the brambling. Shortly after we arrived a sphawk swooped in and took a wood pigeon and stumbled into the undergrowth to the left of the hide. That was the birdlife gone for a good while.
Brambling didn't show but as a bonus we saw a total of 3 roe deer which wandered through near the boundry fence.

Attachments

• _74H6146.jpg
    _74H6146.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 63
  • _74H6162.jpg
    _74H6162.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 77
  • _74H6233.jpg
    _74H6233.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 52
  • _74H6247.jpg
    _74H6247.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 93
  • _MG_4333.jpg
    _MG_4333.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 65
Would anyone know if the Grebe is still at Hartlepool harbour? I've just came back from holiday and it would appear everyone and their dog has seen it and I'm feeling a bit left out! Cheers.

Would anyone know if the Grebe is still at Hartlepool harbour? I've just came back from holiday and it would appear everyone and their dog has seen it and I'm feeling a bit left out! Cheers.

I've not seen it for about a week now and not seen any reports. Still time yet though for another to appear. Last year there was one in the same place from last week in March through to the 8th April.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back