• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (17 Viewers)

Looks like you had a canny day as well Mr Forrest.

(Sorry about putting the Twite in the wrong forum M8, the RSPB website had them at red status, so I mistakenly assumed “rare birds”.

Ta Ian.

Looks like you had a canny day as well Mr Forrest.

(Sorry about putting the Twite in the wrong forum M8, the RSPB website had them at red status, so I mistakenly assumed “rare birds”.

Ta Ian.

No problem Dave. They were a good find. I've been checking Greenabella and Seaton Snook but hadn't seen any so far. Looks like there were a couple of SEO down there this afternoon as well.

It was a long way off, it was dark (weather wise) and I didn't have my glasses on ;)
Mind you - the RSPB bloke in the hide checked his book and also agreed with twite - guess they know as much as us.
Hi JBee some of the RSPB staff are not very good on identifying birds at Saltholm.I was in the the main hide a few months ago and one RSPB bloke misidentified a Pink-footed goose he was telling people it was a Bean Goose i had to step in and correct him.

Last edited:
Hi JBee some of the RSPB staff are not very good on identifying birds at Saltholm.I was in the the main hide a few months ago and one RSPB bloke misidentified a Pink-footed goose he was telling people it was a Bean i had to step in and correct him.
Never heard of a Bean-footed goose Martin ;) ;) ;)

Merlin female perched on the rocks near the end of North Gare Pier this morning. RT Diver x3 on the sea. Lots of Oystercatcher flying over but not much else around.

Only a single Twite and a Kingfisher on Greenabella Marsh. Little Grebe x2 and Redshank x40 around.

Seaton Snook - 2.30pm - wader roost over high tide - Knot c.150, Grey Plover c.30, Dunlin c.30, Bar-tailed Godwit x4, Oystercatcher c.30, Curlew x4, Brent Goose x3 plus a few Redshank and Turnstone. Golden Plover c.50 on power station field.

RSPB Saltholme - Jack Snipe showing at Bottom Tank.

A1185 Seal Sands Road/tip - c.4.20-4.30pm - Starlings quite a spectacle with several thousands swirling around moving from the tip onto the pylons prior to dropping to the reedbeds. The photo doesn't do it justice as there's only a tiny proportion of them in the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_7984ao.jpg
    IMG_7984ao.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8068aoo.jpg
    IMG_8068aoo.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7959aoo.jpg
    IMG_7959aoo.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_8396aoo.jpg
    IMG_8396aoo.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_8508aoo.jpg
    IMG_8508aoo.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 121
A few pics I managed from October, in what turned out to be an eventful month for the county. Crane, Bluethroat, Sabines Gull, Red flanked Bluetail, record number of Firecrests and of course a certain warbler.;)

Attachments

• Bluethroat 010.jpg
    Bluethroat 010.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Blackstart 041.jpg
    Blackstart 041.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Fire 027.jpg
    Fire 027.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 137
  • bull 037.jpg
    bull 037.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 91
  • sNOW 005.jpg
    sNOW 005.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Treat myself to a full 8 hours in perfect conditions on Saturday around the Easington & Seaham areas - 90 species noted.

The days highlights including
1Swallow
1GCGrebe
1st wint male Ring Ousel on Blast Beach
2Chiffchaff,
9Shelduck ots
24Tree Sparrow inc 6 close to coast, presumably migrant birds ?
370+Blackbirds - everywhere, most prominent bird of the day
1Heron
Little Owl pair in tree on Blast Beach
1Green Woodpecker
5Stonechat
several Marsh Tit
4Willow Tit
single male Blackcap
min 125+Meadow Pipit
2Woodcock both from field edges
Peregrine which flew out to sea !
1-2 Short-eared Owl (1 in off)
Wigeon, Teal, Scoter, RTDivers etc on the sea
1Snipe
120Skylark with several singing on passage
4Sparrowhawk
40+Reed Bunting
1Red-legged Partridge
1Turnstone
Barn Owl dozing in roost hole on cliffs nr E'ton
5Redshank
2Snow Bunting N up coast
9+Kestrel including 1 mobbing female Merlin etc

A real perfect warm sunny day, with Ivy attracting several each of Red Admirals & Speckled Woods, 2 Comma & a Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly seen. There were even a couple of Grashoppers active - scary on the last day of October.
Nice to bump into a few other DBC members during the day.

NB: Both species pictured, unaware of observers presence - facial disc shows Barn owl in relaxed state, Little Owl looking over its shoulder at some of the packs of dogs bouncing down the beach.

Attachments

• sleeping_beauty.jpg
    sleeping_beauty.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 115
  • cyclops.jpg
    cyclops.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Greenabella Marsh - 10.00am - Twite x36, Brent Goose x1, Shot-eared Owl x1, Kingfisher x1, Meadow Pipit x3, Skylark x1, Little Egret x2, Redshank, Shoveler, Teal, Wigeon, Black-tailed Godwit, Linnet, Goldfinch.

Attachments

• IMG_9019ao.jpg
    IMG_9019ao.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9078aoo.jpg
    IMG_9078aoo.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8972ao.jpg
    IMG_8972ao.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8869aoo.jpg
    IMG_8869aoo.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_8896aoo.jpg
    IMG_8896aoo.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 130
Ian, check the jack snipe that we took last week against the ones that were taken by Tom (yesterday) and Mick (today) please. They are two different birds, markings on the heads are slightly different, looks like adult and this years young bird.

(Blind tho)

Ian, check the jack snipe that we took last week against the ones that were taken by Tom (yesterday) and Mick (today) please. They are two different birds, markings on the heads are slightly different, looks like adult and this years young bird.

(Blind tho)

They do look to be different birds. Last week there were several reports of at least two Jack Snipe on the Bottom Tank. There could well be more than that.

Just after you left a Water Rail showed itself for quite a while. It was right over on the far bank behind the last fence post.

They do look to be different birds. Last week there were several reports of at least two Jack Snipe on the Bottom Tank. There could well be more than that.

I think that's got to be the case as the most recent shots have a whithered/hardened bill, t'other's bill looks plumper and lighter in colour.

(Looks like it's warming up at Saltholme, bird wise, see if you can get a patio heater installed for the lads Ian....)

(I'll get that rspb place's spelling right yet)

Last edited:
I think that's got to be the case as the most recent shots have a whithered/hardened bill, t'other's bill looks plumper and lighter in colour.

(Looks like it's warming up at Saltohome, bird wise, see if you can get a patio heater installed for the lads Ian....)

Have posted today's pic's - I had noticed the beak on todays bird but hadn't compared it with previous pic's - well spotted.

Nice to speak to you today Dave - see you around.

Attachments

• Jack Snipe_1.jpg
    Jack Snipe_1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Jack Snipe1_1.jpg
    Jack Snipe1_1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Jack Snipe3_1.jpg
    Jack Snipe3_1.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 125
RSPB Saltholme - pm - Whooper Swan x3, Barnacle Geese x17, Golden Plover 500+ on Back Saltholme. A couple of odd looking geese back again. Just albanistic I think. One with a flock of Greylags and the other with Canadas. They may even be the ones that were about earlier in the year.

Staff working by screen at Bottom Tank - demolishing a fence so no birds present let alone Jack Snipe!

Attachments

• IMG_9383bo.jpg
    IMG_9383bo.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9437ao.jpg
    IMG_9437ao.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_9467abo.jpg
    IMG_9467abo.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9496ao.jpg
    IMG_9496ao.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9533ao.jpg
    IMG_9533ao.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 100
RSPB Saltholme - pm - Whooper Swan x3, Barnacle Geese x17, Golden Plover 500+ on Back Saltholme. A couple of odd looking geese back again. Just albanistic I think. One with a flock of Greylags and the other with Canadas. They may even be the ones that were about earlier in the year.

Staff working by screen at Bottom Tank - demolishing a fence so no birds present let alone Jack Snipe!

Hi Ian
The goose in the Canada flock looks like the darker subspecies of Snow Goose, called a Blue Goose.
A

RSPB Saltholme

I see they have started work on the heating system then Ian, you must have some clout down there lad.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back