• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (20 Viewers)

A great find by Derek and Dougie and well done to Mark for making the ID :t:

Come on you Durham snappers - someone post a shot of the bird on this thread. The views I had today were OK but the bird refused to sit still !!

I look forward to the full story in Birdwatch mag !

Rainton Meadows

Called over this PM not a lot over on Joes Pond apart from the usual Mallard and Teal x 7. However over on Pond Two quite a variety ie:- BHG x c150[, Snipe x 1, Wigeon x 28, Canada Geese x 4, Greylag Geese x 4, Gadwal x 5, Shoveler x 7 (3 male in Eclipse). Then just left of hide and Tern Island from behind high edge of pond Juvenile Whooper Swan x 1 very distinctive Wedge shaped head held high on long straight neck, then to confirm my sighting 1 Adult appeared from further round the pond edge before both flew off in an Easterly direction towards Hetton Lyons CP. Pond 4 produced Greylag Geese x c300, Pink-footed Goose x 1. On my way home thought I would call into HLCP to check if Whooper Swans had indeed flew there, no such luck.

Best I can offer.

Thanks Scuzz. Nice shot considering the circumstances.
I reckon this species will be another Pacific Diver scenario. Wide exposure of the first one will mean everyone is familiar with the bird's ID points and they'll start turning up a bit more regularly.
A

Ward Jackson Park - yesterday - Ring-necked Parakeet x5 around the clock tower area feeding on berries. Apparently the fenced area where they used to nest (tree removed for safety) is now a car park that no one uses - no signs up.

Pudding Poke Farm - Little Owl perched in the open.

Tilery Wood - Willow Tit x2, Coal Tit, Wren and Great Tit coming to tables by car park. Goldcrest x3 in trees beside car park.

Attachments

• IMG_6725ao.jpg
    IMG_6725ao.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6702b.jpg
    IMG_6702b.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6594ao.jpg
    IMG_6594ao.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6755ao.jpg
    IMG_6755ao.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_6773ao.jpg
    IMG_6773ao.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 68
Hartlepool & Teesside/Saltholme yesterday:

Hartlepool headland between the piers:
Turnstone, oystercatcher, redshank, ringed plover, the usual Bh,Herring & BB gulls,cormorants, starlings and good numbers of rock pipits.
Not much around the Croft area other than single goldcrest seen by JBee and the norm, blackbirds, sparrows, robin, jackdaws etc.

Called at Jacksons Landing: 2 cormorants and a few herring gulls.

Newburn Bridge at high tide:
Again, the usual gulls, sanderling, oystercatchers, redshank, ringed plovers, purple sandpiper, dunlin and med gull which stood preening on the shoreline.

Attachments

• _MG_1549.JPG
    _MG_1549.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_1551.JPG
    _MG_1551.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_1602.JPG
    _MG_1602.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_5191.JPG
    _MG_5191.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_5199.JPG
    _MG_5199.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 69
Spent the rest of the day at the Wildlife watchpoint / Saltholme.

Pretty dull, weatherwise by now and cold with it, but plenty to see from the hide.

Goldfinch, greenfinch, pied wagtail, teal, gadwall, shoveler, little egret, BH gulls, grey heron, little grebe, BT godwit, redshank (possible twite which made a brief appearance).

Also a hare which appeared to the right hand side of the hide 3 times.

Attachments

• _MG_5324.JPG
    _MG_5324.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
  • _MG_5530.JPG
    _MG_5530.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_5832.JPG
    _MG_5832.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 65
  • _MG_5893.JPG
    _MG_5893.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_5502.JPG
    _MG_5502.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 60
And a couple for luck including what I think is the Twite.

Attachments

• _MG_5269.JPG
    _MG_5269.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 179
  • _MG_5458.JPG
    _MG_5458.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_5738.JPG
    _MG_5738.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_5801.JPG
    _MG_5801.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 78
  • _MG_5919.JPG
    _MG_5919.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 76
Ward Jackson Park - yesterday - Ring-necked Parakeet x5

The parakeet is now fair game under new rules from the wildlife watchdog Natural England which allow the birds to be shot without a licence. Seems a bit draconian, although I believe they are causing problems in orchards in the south east. :C

The parakeet is now fair game under new rules from the wildlife watchdog Natural England which allow the birds to be shot without a licence. Seems a bit draconian, although I believe they are causing problems in orchards in the south east. :C

Whilst low in numbers here I think they're a bit of a plague further south where they're in the thousands. It's not just the crops that are affected but also taking over nest sites of native species.

Whilst they're pretty to see I don't mind so much them being classed the same as pigeons if they're becoming a pest.

Hi all, could someone I.d. this duck for me please. It was pottering about with a few mallards. Its slightly smaller and slimmer and has bluey grey feet.
I've asked a few people with no definite respons.
Cheers in advance Daz.
P.s first post on this forum so i hope i have attached the photo correctly.

Attachments

• Duck27-10-09 003.jpg
    Duck27-10-09 003.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 152
My ID skills are similar to those of you & JBee, but i reckon it is a female Linnet - the Twite i've seen & photographed have a smaller yellow bill.

Cheers Derek & Martin, my first thoughts were linnet, but got swayed by JBee's ID skills ;):-O.

All the same, thanks for the replies:t:.

Cheers Derek & Martin, my first thoughts were linnet, but got swayed by JBee's ID skills ;):-O.

All the same, thanks for the replies:t:.
It was a long way off, it was dark (weather wise) and I didn't have my glasses on ;)
Mind you - the RSPB bloke in the hide checked his book and also agreed with twite - guess they know as much as us.

Hartlepool Headland - am - Putting Green - Redwing x1, Chiffchaff x1, Blackcap x1 male ringed, Blackbird c.20. Pink-footed Geese c.100 overhead flying south. Med Gull flying around inner harbour.

Greenabella Marsh - Twite x26 - well found by Dave plus Kingfisher :t:

RSPB Saltholme - Bottom Tank - Jack Snipe x1, Water Pipit x1.

Water Rail, Merlin x2 and Pec. Sandpiper & Slavonian Grebe also reported at Saltholme today.

Attachments

• IMG_7054ao.jpg
    IMG_7054ao.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_7107ao.jpg
    IMG_7107ao.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7156ao.jpg
    IMG_7156ao.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7284aoo.jpg
    IMG_7284aoo.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7310bo.jpg
    IMG_7310bo.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back