• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (16 Viewers)

Of the 43 Avocets present on the Saline Lagoon yesterday 2 were colour ringed.

EG25238 - Red/Blue left, Red/Red right
EG25239 - Yellow/Blue left, Lime/Orange right

Siblings 2/2 ringed on greenabella 31.5.10

Good evidence to show they travel/migrate in family groups as we had two siblings last year. Getting some great results back from this project so please keep an eye out for more colour ringed birds when you're out and about.

hi dave
i would say scand rock pipit looking more like a rock pipit? Cant see neither water or scand in this bird im afraid, the only bird on the ntbc link that it resembles is rock pipit. It hasnt got the key feature of a supercilium to start with?
Cheers
steve :t:

Not a birder/twitcher Steve, I'll them them sort it out :t: (belly not dark enough for a rock pipit I would of thought, got them all a' flappin tho! great to watch, and it still goes on) :smoke:

Last edited:
Without trying to pour doubt onto your Goshawk, Dave...honest!! o:D Can someone point out the key features that make that bird a Goshawk and not a Sparrowhawk?...

The question was raised on the ID forum, responses here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=225758
Compare the shape and structure in Dave's photo:http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=374360&d=1331842196 with this one attached from Hamsterley a couple of weeks ago. Although there are slight differences between male and female Goshawk structure, you can see the Gos has a more prominent head/neck, rounded corners to the tail, less distinct barring to the underside of the secondaries and a longer, proportionately thinner hand to the wing. They can be a tricky pair though, and no disrespect to DCJ in posting the photo here.
Further reading here for anyone interested:http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?item=744

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 130
Not a birder/twitcher Steve, I'll them them sort it out :t: (belly not dark enough for a rock pipit I would of thought, got them all a' flappin tho! great to watch, and it still goes on) :smoke:

hi dave
your right, rock pipit does have dark underparts but can also be pale. ive seen plenty rock pipits with pale underparts, but yet to see a scandinavian rock pipit without a supercilium. have a look on birdguides photo gallery, look up rock pipit and theres some shots of rock pipits with pale underparts, identical to the bird in your photo. it might just change your mind? ;)
cheers

Compare the shape and structure in Dave's photo:http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=374360&d=1331842196 with this one attached from Hamsterley a couple of weeks ago. Although there are slight differences between male and female Goshawk structure, you can see the Gos has a more prominent head/neck, rounded corners to the tail, less distinct barring to the underside of the secondaries and a longer, proportionately thinner hand to the wing. They can be a tricky pair though, and no disrespect to DCJ in posting the photo here.
Further reading here for anyone interested:http://www.birdwatch.co.uk/categories/articleitem.asp?item=744

Mark

Thanks for your input Mark - I never thought about asking in the ID Forum, too used to just scanning through these local ones... I'd already found that birdwatch.co.uk link when I'd seen my high level birds, and it convinced me that I was seeing a Sparrowhawk because of the lack of a protruding head. And that was the first thing I noticed with Dave's image, it didn't seem to protrude significantly.

But it seems these birds can be difficult to separate when you have big Sparrowhawks flying around. So I'll just stand back and see if anyone else has other opinions. I know of at least one other bod that has said Dave's is definitely a Goshawk. Interesting...but incredibly frustrating!!

hi dave
your right, rock pipit does have dark underparts but can also be pale. ive seen plenty rock pipits with pale underparts, but yet to see a scandinavian rock pipit without a supercilium. have a look on birdguides photo gallery, look up rock pipit and theres some shots of rock pipits with pale underparts, identical to the bird in your photo. it might just change your mind? ;)
cheers

Just to muddy the water (or rock), I've seen other photos of the same bird where there's a definite supercilium.

Anyway, you're all missing the point - it was nowhere near a rock, and right next to the water... ;)

Mark

Fair enough Mark, I initially went by the size, this was a humongous bird, easily larger/(similarish) to a buzzard, the local female sprawk nowhere near the size of this thing, first sighting it looked like a marsh harrier when it flapped.
I will try the photo again but very very high, as you said, well out of range.

hi dave
cheers

Its up to those that want to crack on about it Steve, have to say though, give the lads their due, the confusion started when it started calling like a watta pipit, I've moved on coz its stoat, weasel and fox season, something else as well, eludes me at the moment. :stuck: ;)

Attachments

• dcj-great-crested-grebes-342.jpg
    dcj-great-crested-grebes-342.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Just to muddy the water (or rock), I've seen other photos of the same bird where there's a definite supercilium.

Anyway, you're all missing the point - it was nowhere near a rock, and right next to the water... ;)

what point would that be? You get rock pipits at inland sites with water on passage and water pipits at the coast on rocks, so what was your point again? Also water pipit call resembles rock pipit call? Anyway if i had seen the bird i would of called rock pipit and thats my final word on it. :t:
cheers

Last edited:
Durham dales today, couldn't get the camera to focus on the Osprey. I know, a bad workman blames his tools...

Attachments

• 25032012 005.jpg
    25032012 005.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 25032012 022.jpg
    25032012 022.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 25032012 021.jpg
    25032012 021.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 142
Yesterday

Trip up North.
Called at Amble and Druridge, nothing much out of the ordinary, plenty eider, cormorants, gulls etc at Amble and pretty much the usual gulls etc at Druridge, but fog/sea fret was pretty bad.
Headed inland a bit to far pastures, which had a couple of chiffchaff, coal,blue,great,willow and LT tits, wren chaffinch and bank vole in the car park area and virtually zero in front of the hide.

Attachments

• _MG_1980.jpg
    _MG_1980.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_2303.jpg
    _MG_2303.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_2340.jpg
    _MG_2340.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_2429.jpg
    _MG_2429.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_2546.jpg
    _MG_2546.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 43
A few from Far Pastures.

Attachments

• _MG_2790.jpg
    _MG_2790.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_2849.jpg
    _MG_2849.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 31
  • _MG_7806.jpg
    _MG_7806.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_7810.jpg
    _MG_7810.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 50
  • _MG_7979.jpg
    _MG_7979.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 62
RSPB Saltholme - 9.00am - Water Pipit x4 on field behind fire station. Two eventually flew off over fire station. Short-eared Owl behind workshops. Also Snipe & Little Egret. Fox with prey.

Seaton Common - Stonechat x2. Golden Plover c.80 Zinc Works Road

Dormans Pool - Marsh Harrier flew through at 11.30 just as I arrived. Stonechat pair by level crossing.

Potrack Roundabout/Billingham Beck - Green Sandpiper still.

Wynyard - Hen Harrier appeared at 4.20 for 20 mins. Also Merlin, Kestrel & Buzzard x3.

Attachments

• IMG_4464a.jpg
    IMG_4464a.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4537a.jpg
    IMG_4537a.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4675a.jpg
    IMG_4675a.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4816a.jpg
    IMG_4816a.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4840b.jpg
    IMG_4840b.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69
Would anyone be kind enough to give me an idea of where to go at Hamsterley forrest to stand a chance of seeing the Goshawks, I'm only really familiar with the Bedburn end where the visitor centre is but from what I gather thats the wrong end but I havent got a clue where I need to be.

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Cheers Adam.

Hi,
Can someone tell me when is best for and where the water pipits are favouring on fire station pool? I put in 1.5 hours yesterday and there was no show, although 4 had been reported 20 minutes before. Other birders were there and didn't see then so I know IRS not just me.
Thanks
Bm

The Water Piptis are showing early mornings but moving off later in the day. I was there Sunday morning and four were present 9.00am-10.00am but at least two flew off over the fire station after that. I dare say the others did as well but I didn't see them go.

If you stand at the screen then they were on the furthest pool over, there's a bit of a muddy heap just behind the fire station fence corner. That's where they mostly were or slightly left by some small reedy tufts.

Apparantely 2-3 were back there this morning but there was no sign of any at lunchtime when I called in.

Sounds like the Glossy Ibis moved to the Phil Stead Hide late afternoon as well according to TBC web site.

Weardale, yesterday

Ride over bollihope area.
3 ring ouzels, song thrush, dipper, muscovey ducks, mipits, skylark, 3 distant buzzard, pied wagtails, lapwing, fieldfare, distant wheatear, red grouse and the usual crows etc.

Attachments

• _MG_3396.jpg
    _MG_3396.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 39
  • _MG_3415.jpg
    _MG_3415.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_3448.jpg
    _MG_3448.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_8010.jpg
    _MG_8010.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 37
  • _MG_8279.jpg
    _MG_8279.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 35
A few of the ring ouzel,
Also nice to see Hillary at Bollihope, hope they came a bit closer for you :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_8105.jpg
    _MG_8105.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_8115.jpg
    _MG_8115.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_8191.jpg
    _MG_8191.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 54
  • _MG_8214.jpg
    _MG_8214.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 47
  • _MG_8234.jpg
    _MG_8234.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 54
Ended the day outing, at the stang, to let the missus see the crossbills at close quarters, well they didn't dissapoint and she was well pleaseed.
Also siskin, mipits, skylark, kestrel, robin red grouse etc + distant buzzard and one which flew overhead as we drove home.
Excellent day out :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_3523.jpg
    _MG_3523.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_3551.jpg
    _MG_3551.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_8396.jpg
    _MG_8396.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_8437.jpg
    _MG_8437.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8639.jpg
    _MG_8639.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back