• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (22 Viewers)

Saltholme.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Water Pipit x4 on field behind fire station. Present up to at least 10.45.

Saltholme Hide - Ruff x2, Goldeneye 5-6.

Paddy's Pool - Brent Geese x2.

Glossy Ibis reported at Haverton View point still. Marsh Harrier reported early morning.

Dormans Pool - pm - Green-winged Teal still.

Watched the Glossy Ibis for a good half hour at Haverton Hole at about 12.30. Gorgeous colour as it moved. So pleased to have seen it.

Wynyard - am - Hen Harrier, Kestrel, Buzzard x2, Chiffchaff.

Tilery Wood - Siskin x12, Crossbill x15 incl. juv., Chiffchaff x5, Marsh Tit x1, GSW x1, Jay x1, Buzzard x2, Sparrowhawk x1.

Attachments

• IMG_8117anr.jpg
    IMG_8117anr.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8179a.jpg
    IMG_8179a.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8617b.jpg
    IMG_8617b.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8504a.jpg
    IMG_8504a.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8699a.jpg
    IMG_8699a.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 65
Bolden Flats Friday

A quick visit to Bolden Flats on Friday after work was quite productive:

Pink-footed Goose 19, Common Snipe 6, Ruff 3, Curlew 5, Redshank 4, Wigeon 4, Teal 4, Stock Dove 2, Grey Partridge 1, Yellow Hammer 1 and Sparrowhawk 1.

Andy

Hi all,

Will hopefully be having a trip up tomorrow. Don't suppose anybody could give me any directions to Bollihope for the Ring Ouzels and anywhere between here and Saltholme for Crossbills? Also, I'd appreciate directions to Hartlepool Fish Quay.

Cheers, Sam

Hi all,

Will hopefully be having a trip up tomorrow. Don't suppose anybody could give me any directions to Bollihope for the Ring Ouzels and anywhere between here and Saltholme for Crossbills? Also, I'd appreciate directions to Hartlepool Fish Quay.

Cheers, Sam

The forecast for tomorrow is pretty poor with rain and snow driven by some pretty strong winds forecast for the higher ground. Not sure I'd be bothering with a visit to the Dales. The Fish Quay and Hartlepool Headland or RSPB Saltholme maybe better options.

Bollihope Common - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=398566&Y=535160&A=Y&Z=115

Park by the bridge and check 360° along the quarries, becks and steep grassy valley sides for Ring Ouzel.

Hamsterley Forest - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=405533&Y=527270&A=Y&Z=115

For Crossbill and if you're lucky some birds of prey.

They're also at the Stang near Bowes which is even more remote/exposed and Tilery Wood near Wynyard. Either way though the weather is going to be against you.

Hartlepool Fish Quay - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=452380&Y=533785&A=Y&Z=115

Park by the gate and check the building roofs. A Glaucous Gull and Iceland/Kumlien's Gull are still around and perch there. If you press the buzzer on the gate the staff usually let birders onto the Fish Quay if they're not too busy.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - 9.00am on the dot the Glossy Ibis flew in landing right in front of the hide flushing a Green Sandpiper and Snipe x2. The Ibis fed and preened a few minutes before being jumped on by two Coots and it flew to the back of the pool.

RSPB Saltholme - pm - Saltholme Hide - Black-tailed Godwit x3, Little Ringed Plover x1, Ruff x2, Avocet x4 though another pair incl. colour ringed bird had been present earlier as well, Sand Martin x2, Goldeneye 8-10, Redshank x4, Pintail x2. Brent Geese x2.

Glossy Ibis still at Phil Stead Hide when I left at 4.15pm.

Attachments

• IMG_8834a.jpg
    IMG_8834a.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_8886a.jpg
    IMG_8886a.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9236a.jpg
    IMG_9236a.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_9252a.jpg
    IMG_9252a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9341a.jpg
    IMG_9341a.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 196
RSPB Saltholme - Phil Stead Hide - 12.30-2.30 - Glossy Ibis, Little Egret x3, Little Grebe x4, Heron x3, Shoveler x3, Redshank x3, Snipe x2. Weasel by the left end of the hide. Fox on the cycleway by the screen.

Blue Tit x2, Goldfinch c.12, Reed Bunting were in the bushes at the side of the hide.

Attachments

• IMG_9527a.jpg
    IMG_9527a.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_9531a.jpg
    IMG_9531a.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_9564a.jpg
    IMG_9564a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_9610a.jpg
    IMG_9610a.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_9609a.jpg
    IMG_9609a.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 182
RSPB Saltholme - 2.00-3.30pm - fire station field - Water Pipit x2, Green Sandpiper x2, Black-tailed Godwit x1, Snipe x3.

Phil Stead Hide - Little Egret, Little Grebe x2, Redshank x2.

Water Rail calling from reeds behind the screen.

Fox on the cycleway by the screen and a weasel by the Phil Stead Hide.

Attachments

• IMG_9949a.jpg
    IMG_9949a.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_9995b.jpg
    IMG_9995b.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 256
RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - Little egret, Snipe, Little Grebe x2.

Fire station field - Little Egret x2, Snipe x2, Black-tailed Godwit x2. No sign of the Green Sandpipers or Water Pipits.

Saline Lagoon - Avocet x60 mostly on Saline Lagoon but also three on Greenabella Marsh pools and eight on Tidal Pool. Five colour ringed Avocets present. Little Ringed Plover x2. The LRP and Avocets got a little annoyed when a Little Egret intruded on their area.

Several Curlew, Black-tailed Godwit, Redshank and Dunlin on Tidal Pool.

Marsh Harrier was on the Long Drag

Twite x21 seen by others.

Wynyard - Hen Harrier, Buzzard, Kestrel x2, Curlew x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x1, Chiffchaff x1. At 12.00 the Hen Harrier began to soar on thermals from ground level. By 12.16 it was still overhead but so high it was no longer visible even through binoculars.

Attachments

• IMG_0258a.jpg
    IMG_0258a.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0784aa.jpg
    IMG_0784aa.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0843a.jpg
    IMG_0843a.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0552a.jpg
    IMG_0552a.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0385a.jpg
    IMG_0385a.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 228
Pair Crossbills nest building N.W.Durham.

Must be late developers! They usually nest in Dec/Jan. The young fledge March/April. I've been seeing fledglings for several weeks now. I wonder if it's maybe another brood? I think they can have two broods.

Must be late developers! They usually nest in Dec/Jan. The young fledge March/April. I've been seeing fledglings for several weeks now. I wonder if it's maybe another brood? I think they can have two broods.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that Crossbills will basically nest at any time of year if they think 'it's going to be good'. But like you say I am not sure if they have a limit in terms of the number of broods they can have in a given year?

Breeding season very variable beginning Jan. or Feb. but at times earlier, and extending sometimes to July. Singled brooded; double brooded if food supply is good.
Collins Field Guide Birds, Eggs & Nestlings of Britain and Europe. Colin Harrison & Peter Castell.

Weardale and Hamsterley

Had a good day, today.

A pair of Ring Ouzel, two male Wheatear and a Stonechat in Weardale. Many of the wadeing birds have returned; Curlew, Common Snipe, Lapwing and Golden Plover.

Hamsterley was amazing for raptors; 3 Common Buzzard, 4 Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Red Kite, 2 Short-eared Owl and a female Goshawk. A pair of Raven were also displaying overhead and a Green Woodpecker was showing really well for almost half an hour. The numbers of Siskin and Redpoll were very high, too.

I would have tried for the Hen Harrier, too, but I think my wife would have had a fit if I had suggested it... May try for that tomorrow!

Last edited:
RSPB Saltholme - am - Phil Stead Hide - 9.40am Swallow x1 flew over hide towards Saltholme Pools.

Fire Station field - Water Pipit x1, Black-tailed Godwit x2, Snipe x1.

Saltholme Hide - Avocet x3, Ruff x2, Brent Goose x2, Goldeneye x2.

Whitburn

Two Chiffchaff today, one in Mereknolls Cemetery and another at Moor Lane Scout Camp. At Whitburn Steel, two Grey Heron and Sand Martin.

Last edited:
WeBS survey at Washington WWT at high tide this afternoon yielded highlights of a black-tailed godwit well into breeding plumage, 8 avocet, 3 common snipe, 16 shelduck, 17 lapwing, 69 redshank in the high tide roost, 4 shoveller, 30 teal and 23 grey heron in the 'armoury'.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back