• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (21 Viewers)

Thanks all - appreciate the reply :t:

It was amazing to see it just sit on the wind completely static without moving in any direction or flapping its wings....

June - there was a Red Kite here as well (Edmundbyers / Muggleswick junction) getting mobbed by about 20 jackdaws / crows. Left wing tag number 3 (orange) couldn't see right wing tag.

Spent a few hours in Weardale watching the Dippers again - but this time the chicks decided it was time to make an appearence :t:

While i watched the adult birds flying back and forth to the nest site, 3 chicks left leaving one or more still to vacate (adults kept going back to nest whilst also feeding fledglings). Brave little things, practiced flying from rock to rock, then practiced swimming in the shallows... Then amazingly they took it in turns to jump into the main flow (river in flood :eek!:), get washed downstream and climb out on overhanging trees - fantastic :t::t:

Couple of pictures from the couple of hundred taken :-O.

Attachments

• 2012-04-29-16109-DSC_9885.jpg
    2012-04-29-16109-DSC_9885.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 2012-04-29-16123-DSC_9899.jpg
    2012-04-29-16123-DSC_9899.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 92
  • 2012-04-29-16815-DSC_0298.jpg
    2012-04-29-16815-DSC_0298.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 71
Local

Walk round Hetton lyons today, despite the crap weather.
Chiffchaff, song thrush, willow warbler, blackcap, robin, goldfinch, pair GC grebes on the boating pond and loads of swallows + the usual.

Attachments

• _MG_9655.jpg
    _MG_9655.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 36
  • _MG_9660.jpg
    _MG_9660.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_9767.jpg
    _MG_9767.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 34
  • _MG_9899.jpg
    _MG_9899.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 27
  • _MG_9937.jpg
    _MG_9937.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 39
Thanks all - appreciate the reply :t:

It was amazing to see it just sit on the wind completely static without moving in any direction or flapping its wings....

June - there was a Red Kite here as well (Edmundbyers / Muggleswick junction) getting mobbed by about 20 jackdaws / crows. Left wing tag number 3 (orange) couldn't see right wing tag.

Thanks for this mention. Please go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page11.htm

The left wing tag for our kites is pink, but often they do discolour. It's just possible that it is our Yorkshire incomer!!

We have had mention of kites at the Derwent Reservoir, so fingers crossed that we don't now lose any of these birds as they attempt to disperse into new territories.
I'll pass on your info to Ken Sanderson our Kite Officer, for the database.

Last edited:
A real belter of a Red-rumped Swallow at Bowesfield Marsh today. Despite the dull skies it put on a great display for the assembled birders flying within feet in front of them and passing overhead and even landing on the closest bridge hand rails.

Also present - Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler.

Seaton Common - Yellow Wagtail, Hooded Crow. Whinchat seen by others likewise with a Common Redstart female in Seaton Bushes. Whilst looking for that I came across a nesting Sparrowhawk there as well.

Reported on the Headland - Lesser Whitethroat, Whinchat, Redstart. The ring from a Norwegian GGBG was recovered from a dead bird on the beach. One from an Iceland Fulmar was recovered yesterday and a Sanderling with Icelandic colour rings was on the beach at Crimdon.

Reported at RSPB Saltholme - Little Gull and Black-tailed Godwit x110 on Port Clarence Flood this morning.

Red-rumped Swallow video clip - http://youtu.be/qvZ88XIj6Os

Attachments

• IMG_3190anr.jpg
    IMG_3190anr.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3393a.jpg
    IMG_3393a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2406a.jpg
    IMG_2406a.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2413a.jpg
    IMG_2413a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2973a.jpg
    IMG_2973a.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for this mention. Please go to http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page11.htm

The left wing tag for our kites is pink, but often they do discolour. It's just possible that it is our Yorkshire incomer!!

We have had mention of kites at the Derwent Reservoir, so fingers crossed that we don't now lose any of these birds as they attempt to disperse into new territories.
I'll pass on your info to Ken Sanderson our Kite Officer, for the database.

Hi June - Left tag was definitely Orange i could clearly see the number 3, i did have photo's but i deleted them as i have much better ones, i assumed it would be a Gateshead Red Kite.

The bird flew past me quite close, with all the crows / jackdaws mobbing it, unfortunately i couldn't get a focus, so i messed with the camera for a couple of seconds then lost the bird.

By the time i saw it again it was roughly as far away on the opposite side as the Common Buzzard i saw earlier, but i was now above the bird looking down on it from above so got a good view of the left tag only as the right tag was blowing around in the wind.

How far is Bowesfield Marsh to walk from Stockton town centre or the university campus? Durham university subsidises the bus from Durham so it won't cost me anything if I can walk from there. Thinking of heading down tomorrow afternoon (on news).

Thanks,

Oliver

How far is Bowesfield Marsh to walk from Stockton town centre or the university campus? Durham university subsidises the bus from Durham so it won't cost me anything if I can walk from there. Thinking of heading down tomorrow afternoon (on news).

Thanks,

Oliver

It's still there today.

It's not that far really. Maybe 2 miles from the University.

There's a riverside footpath from Victoria Bridge (green dash and diamond on map) which would likely be the most direct walking. It's not clear on the map but several paths lead from the river through the reserve.

The arrow on this map marks the spot it's mainly been over - Bowesfield Marsh

It's still there today.

It's not that far really. Maybe 2 miles from the University.

There's a riverside footpath from Victoria Bridge (green dash and diamond on map) which would likely be the most direct walking. It's not clear on the map but several paths lead from the river through the reserve.

The arrow on this map marks the spot it's mainly been over - Bowesfield Marsh

Thanks, if I get enough work down today, I'll try it tomorrow:t:

The Headland - am - The Croft/Borough Hall - Blackcap male, Willow Warbler x5. Lesser Whitethroat & Redstart seen by others.

Town Moor - Wheatear x4.

On sea - Eider x10, Common Scoter x5, Sandwich Tern x2.

Seaton Common - Whinchat m&f from Zinc Works Road, Wheatear c.20, Linnet x6.

Saline Lagoon - Avocet with first chicks. Four present at lunchtime.

RSPB Saltholme - Swift c.100 over east & west Saltholme pond. Fire Station Field - Avocet x2, Fieldfare x3, Whimbrel x10, Blackcap singing across road.

Dormans Pool - Sedge Warbler x3, Whitethroat x1, Linnet x4, Kestrel bet. car park & screen.

Bowesfield Marsh - pm - Red-rumped Swallow though distant and resting regularly. Apparently very close views were had this morning. Lots of Swift, Swallow, House Martin, Sand Martin over ponds. Reed Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Goldfinch in riverside bushes.

Attachments

• IMG_3409a.jpg
    IMG_3409a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3411a.jpg
    IMG_3411a.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3617a.jpg
    IMG_3617a.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3626a.jpg
    IMG_3626a.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3747a.jpg
    IMG_3747a.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 79
Nothing so far. I've not been out and there's nothing on the news services.

Thanks very much Ian. After the time I spent 2 hours on the bus to get to Saltholme and dipped the GW Teal, I have decided to wait for news on a week day before going for a bird. I know that if everyone did that, nothing would ever be reported but I have to be realistic as I have a lot of study work at the moment. If anyone does see it today, please could they send it in to a bird news service?

Thanks,

Oliver

Teesside

Zinkworks Road - wheatear, linets, lapwing, kestrel and ring ouzel repoted by another bird watcher.
North Gare Access - wheatear, grey heron, yellow wagtail, mipits, skylark, linets, lapwing. Hooded crow seen between the two access roads.
Dormans Pool - Sedge warbler, blackcap, wren, perigrine over, lods of swift and a few terns over. Not sure wether common or artic, looks to me like arctic from the photo that I managed to capture. See Image 5.
Called at Bowsfield marsh but no sign of the RR Swallow, but loads of other swallows, house martins, a couple of swift and sand martins, also sedge and reed warbler heard.

Attachments

• _MG_0828.jpg
    _MG_0828.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_0893.jpg
    _MG_0893.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 73
  • _MG_0961.jpg
    _MG_0961.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_1026.jpg
    _MG_1026.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_1129.jpg
    _MG_1129.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 109
A couple from Bowesfield.

Attachments

• _MG_0270.jpg
    _MG_0270.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 93
  • _MG_0346.jpg
    _MG_0346.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 93
  • _MG_0717.jpg
    _MG_0717.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_0723.jpg
    _MG_0723.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 78
  • _MG_1018.jpg
    _MG_1018.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 66

Attachments

• Pied Flycatcher (F)_ N.jpg
    Pied Flycatcher (F)_ N.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 84
  • Ring Ouzel (M)_ N.jpg
    Ring Ouzel (M)_ N.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Ring Ouzel (M)_ N.W.jpg
    Ring Ouzel (M)_ N.W.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 68
I saw pretty much the same as Ray today, probably as I visited the same areas. Arctic Terns were at both Dormans Pool and Saline Lagoon.

It was nice to see a few more Avocet chicks around today. Seven were scuttling around in between taking shelter under their parents.

Dormans Pool - Sedge Warbler x4, Common Whitethroat x4, Linnet x6, Stonechat x2, Arctic Tern x2.

Saline Lagoon - Avocet x22, Little Ringed Plover x2, Redshank x2, Arctic Tern x2.

Attachments

• IMG_4857a.jpg
    IMG_4857a.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4199a.jpg
    IMG_4199a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4355a.jpg
    IMG_4355a.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4583a.jpg
    IMG_4583a.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4676a.jpg
    IMG_4676a.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back