• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E-petition "Licencing upland grouse shoots and gamekeepers" (1 Viewer)

John S. Armitage

The above petition has a month to run. It has reached over 8100 signatures and continues to move forward. Whilst I'd never any illusions it would automatically result in the proposals I'd made being adopted, it does mean that subject of raptor persecution is kept alive. This is a clarion call to anyone who hasn't yet signed.....please do so.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46473

The important thing at present is that, if a total of 10,000 signatures is reached, then the Government, via the Department responsible, has to provide a written , published response relating to the proposals, a response that can be quoted in the future in other initiatives aimed at keeping the issue alive.

I'll continue to give updates on progress on my own Blog, including the latest today see http://www.birdingodyssey.blogspot.com/

Many thanks for your support,
John.

Also signed, but for some reason rather than confirming signing, it replied 'this e-mail cannot be used again'. I was not sure if I had actually signed or not, but have now received a confirmation via e-mail.

Considering the number of people that the RSPB claim to be members, why are we struggling with this petition?.

Considering the number of people that the RSPB claim to be members, why are we struggling with this petition?.

Because most of them are not activists. Most of them pay the RSPB the money and expect the RSPB to do the work.

One might ask the same question in relation to how many staffers the RSPB has, but I imagine they are already knocking on the Government's door every day of the week with both sides knowing exactly how many voices the RSPB is speaking for.

John

Hi John. In actual fact the RSPB declined to support the petition and chose to try and persuade the Law Commission to include Vicarious Liability in its review of wildlife legislation. The Commission chose not to, included something not really much better than before, so little was gained in the end. Certainly they've never sought to dis-suade anyone from signing but neither have they promoted it given they also feel petitions aren't as effective as previously!! I'm sure the number of signatures achieved will be quoted when convenient though. John.

Following any proven offence of persecution on the shoot concerned, i.e. illegal trapping, use of poisons, shooting or the interference with or destruction of nests, the licence would be revoked for a period of not less than two years and commercial shooting activity cease.

What is the current punishment for this?

It's worth trying to tie these petitions in with the 38 Degrees organisation, they are excellent at getting people to support petitions. This seems to me exactly the kind of issue that 38 DEgree members would support

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back