• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Oklahoma Ospreys (1 Viewer)

kcactionphoto

I went out today and photographed at least 5 Ospreys in and around Lake Yahola just north of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Oklahoma has miles of coastline in lakes and rivers and the Ospreys stop over for about a month and enjoy the largesse of our lakes and rivers. The North American variety is smaller than a Bald Eagle but larger than our Red-Tailed Hawks and are strong enough to take fish as large as their torsos into the trees to eat. Even though the resident Hawks and migrant Ospreys don't really compete on the food chain, the Hawks get really territorial and will harass the Ospreys. It doesn't seem to really bother the Ospreys too much, but the Hawks do force them to change perches with their catch. I'll try to get some posted before too long.

Hi kcactionphoto,

Thanks for posting it is good to hear Ospreys are heading home over there too and you are seeing plenty of action with the hawks as well, I am sure there is plenty of fish for everybody.

Look forward to seeing your photos soon.

Ann :egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back