• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (16 Viewers)

caught up at last Ed. lost on 3D but a cracking smew

time to stop fiddling around with these 3D things when there's paintings to be done

I need one more shot at a Smew painting to get them fully out of my system before spring is jangling away and can no longer be ignored

so one last shot to try and capture the sleek bustle and fizz when they wake up and slide into the margins to hunt

early days on this one- I still can't bring myself to slow-down and draw the birds in when I start, so this time thought I would try a first shot at at background, then crayon in the birds roughly to see what was happening, then paint on top, which looks like it might have to wait until one evening this week

Attachments

• q9550abbsmew2D.jpg
    q9550abbsmew2D.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 66
I'd say just block the birds in a little more where they're translucent, and then leave well alone - this is already a gorgeous piece. I don't think I've ever seen such successful choppy water at the reeds' edge.

It is, as Nick points out, all but complete. And very gorgeous indeed - exquisite.

Not much more to say than to quote Tim and Nick. Leave well enough alone when it already looks this good. But I also the difficulty of wanting to take the painting where you think you want it to go just when others are saying it is already there.;)

seems more of week to admire the work of others on the forum

but the little splash of water I check every morning on the way to work has produced the hoped-for Garganey: here's a very quick whap at it, just to chalk up the whitestripe

Attachments

• 550 q9 garg.jpg
    550 q9 garg.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 60
Sometimes all that's needed is the bird smack inthe centre - this one is it. A celebration of the drake garganey - lovely. Reminds me a bit of the old Vertigo record label . . .

I need one more shot at a Smew painting to get them fully out of my system before spring is jangling away and can no longer be ignored

enough with the Smew for this winter- I've got some of what I was after in this

although plans for a little flotilla of four birds nicely balanced with each equally prominent have evaporated and I've allowed the centre male a bit of privilege and priority

onto Garganey now- more thinking than doing this weekend: I spent half an hour this morning with him snorkelling busily in open water- lovely views for a birder, but all the time imploring him to stop feeding and get somewhere visually interesting, the greedy devil..

Attachments

• q9 550mastersmew.jpg
    q9 550mastersmew.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 55
hello all

I've got slightly bogged down with one more shot at getting this drake Garganey out of my system, before new spring excitements wing their way

I played around with some head angles, but actually most of the time I was watching him, he seemed bang side-on: so I decided to paint him that way and not try to be clever

plus some struggles to report with the detail- it all got a bit neat and finicky with the bird standing out to much from the background, so this morning since I was up early (dogs howling at 6) I silenced them by fuzzing out some detail whilst listening to the Chinese Grand Prix at full volume

still not right, tho: you should have to look harder to make him out

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_4230 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_4230 copy.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

That is a real beauty Ed, and I could tell it from the thumbnail. I'm not sure that you should always have to work hard to make out the main subject. It looks fine to me as is.

Now I need to go find out what Chinese Grand Prix is.;)

I'm amazed you could get anything done during that race - it was cracking! I love the detail in the Garganey there. Been some time since I've seen one of those now...

hello all

I've got slightly bogged down with one more shot at getting this drake Garganey out of my system, before new spring excitements wing their way

I played around with some head angles, but actually most of the time I was watching him, he seemed bang side-on: so I decided to paint him that way and not try to be clever

plus some struggles to report with the detail- it all got a bit neat and finicky with the bird standing out to much from the background, so this morning since I was up early (dogs howling at 6) I silenced them by fuzzing out some detail whilst listening to the Chinese Grand Prix at full volume

A great success this Ed, I love it. Amazing use of reds in the water and background, maybe the bird stands out, but why not? This is just as it should be....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back