• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (16 Viewers)

As an alternative i'd love to see that garganey pic just in monochrome Ed....beautiful comp...:t:

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

that does seem to have gone down well- thanks all for kind words

just for User, here's the b/w: most of the spring jangle in the top third is done with colours rather than tone- so it looks a bit flat up there in b/w to my eye

I'm beginning to realise that- because I'm not too keen on green birds (honourable exception for green woodpecker and kakapo)- I'm always trying to avoid too much of it in my paintings overall, so everything hangs together in a not-too-green world

so that might be the challenge for May/June upcoming: green is not just for garnish

Attachments

• q9 550 4297.jpg
    q9 550 4297.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 50
  • q9 550 bw.jpg
    q9 550 bw.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 51
stand out garganey in all his fine ornery, why not, just because they mostly hide in the grass doesn't mean that when we get to see one in full view we shouldn't revel in its beauty.

hello all- here we are at end of April and I should have progressed beyond the Gargs of March

plan was to try and come up with a Bearded Tit, project but rain rain has delayed that

highpoint of yesterday's recce - apart from watching the reeds turn orange in the rain and yellow in the sun - was a nesting Lapwing sitting out the rain, with two perfect little beads of water trapped between the feathers of its crest

Attachments

• q9 550 lap.jpg
    q9 550 lap.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 68
four pairs of lapwing are nesting on my patch, you've just made me feel ashamed of myself for not looking closer! Brilliant observation.

Quite superb that Lapwing Ed....:t:

I always enjoy watching these birds displaying over my local airfield...in fact...i think i'll pop out there now...[even tho its raining...again]...and maybe my hobbies will have returned...:cat:

Will this drought ever end...? :smoke:

All the best...

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

the plan is to paint the lapwing, as the beaded rain drops work better as little white pearls against a colour (the dreaded green)

but I'm currently a little bogged down with a Beardie- part-way there with the bird just mapped out in crayon:, I think is the way forward for me, rather then biffing on with backgrounds and then trying to fit the birds in later

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_4334.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_4334.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 76
FG'sS - It's done - and brilliantly!!! I often wonder why it always seems so blatantly apparent when a piece of art needs no more work - but only when it's someone else's. . . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back