• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Entry level Nikon (1 Viewer)

bonxie birder

Going for the One
United Kingdom
I’m looking at coming into the photo group. Thinking of getting a D7500 and Tamron 18-400.

A. Will this work?

B. Can I do better?

C. I’m not looking for professional shots, just records

D. Don’t want to lug around a lot of weight

E. My budget isn’t exhaustive.

Thank you in advance

Depends on your experience level. As your first camera, no. If you have experience, yes. It takes some practice to understand all the functions of a big DSLR. I still cant handle my older Nikon. Perhaps a Nikon Coolpix B500 or A1000 to save you money and get started. Cheers.

I’m looking at coming into the photo group. Thinking of getting a D7500 and Tamron 18-400.

A. Will this work?

B. Can I do better?

Thank you in advance
In answer to your questions.

A: Yes it will work, it will work very well, the D7500 shares a lot with the excellent D500.

B: Yes you can do better.;)

C: You will be able to get very good quality shots with the setup you suggest.

D: The setup will not be too heavy at 1345 gm.

E: Not sure of the UK prices but Nikon are always having sales at different times of the year.

My answers are based on over 50 years of Nikon cameras and coming from the D70, D70s, D200, D300, D3, D500, D800, D810, D850 in the DSLR range. I also dabbled for a while with the Sony A7R, A7RII and A7RIII Mirrorless cameras. The D7500 will certainly not be difficult to get to grips with for a beginner. The D7500 is what Nikon term a DX camera in that it has a smaller sensor than the full frame 35mm sized FX cameras. This effectivly means the Tamron 18-400mm is the 35mm equivalent of 27-600mm.

Have you considered the Nikon Mirrorless Z50 which is a DX camera with the same 20Mpx as the D7500. The Mirrorless cameras are the way the camera industry is going. I would never go back to a DSLR, no way. One major advantage that the mirrorless cameras have is that what you see is what you get, WYSIWG, this is a godsend for a beginner. If you would like more information just ask.

Thanks for all your input. I believe the Tamron isn’t compatible with the z50 though. Am I right?
I was just this moment checking on the Tamron site. It is compatible Tamron to Nikon Z.

I did forget to mention that to use Nikon F Mount lenses or Tamron/Sigma etc on the larger Z Mount cameras you need to use the Nikon FTZ (F to Z) adapter. This will increase the price of the setup slightly. Using the adapter is totally seamless and allows almost all of the older Nikon lenses to be used with the Z range of cameras. They can be found second hand easily enough. I use one all the time on a 500mm lens and there is no difference to the focussing speed or accuracy.

I was just this moment checking on the Tamron site. It is compatible Tamron to Nikon Z.

I did forget to mention that to use Nikon F Mount lenses or Tamron/Sigma etc on the larger Z Mount cameras you need to use the Nikon FTZ (F to Z) adapter. This will increase the price of the setup slightly. Using the adapter is totally seamless and allows almost all of the older Nikon lenses to be used with the Z range of cameras. They can be found second hand easily enough. I use one all the time on a 500mm lens and there is no difference to the focussing speed or accuracy.

FTZ adapter is another $300.

A. Will this work?

B. Can I do better?

Thank you in advance

Depends on if you will do video as well.

AF in the mirrorless nikons aren't super solid*, D7500 might be better, at least D500 is.
And the battery last forever.
DSLR optical viewfinder has no lag which is better for action/bird photo IMO.

But you might get by with a Z50, depends on your ambition etc.

MLC do have some advantages, for video and shooting with the screen.

If going Z-mount Tamron is putting out a dedicated Z-lens soon (70-300mm) (needs no FTZ adapter, and might be a bit cheaper, and lighter).

*Z9 is the exception

Last edited:
Depends on if you will do video as well.

AF in the mirrorless nikons aren't super solid*, D7500 might be better, at least D500 is.
And the battery last forever.
DSLR optical viewfinder has no lag which is better for action/bird photo IMO.

But you might get by with a Z50, depends on your ambition etc.

MLC do have some advantages, for video and shooting with the screen.

If going Z-mount Tamron is putting out a dedicated Z-lens soon (70-300mm) (needs no FTZ adapter, and might be a bit cheaper, and lighter).

*Z9 is the exception
Have you ever used a Nikon Z camera?

I‘ve been using the Nikon Z6, Z7, Z6II, Z7ii since they were first released.

If you understand how to use them they focus just fine.

Using Nikon Z’s

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back