• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Epson Stylus Photo R300 (1 Viewer)

Roy Ledgerton

I have recently installed a new Jet Tec cartridge. Every time I print now I get a message window telling me I have not installed an Epson cartridge. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this window? I realise the obvious answer is to install Epson cartridges only! Thanks in advance for any help.

Roy

Hi Roy

If you look at the end(facing you when you put the cartridge in)on a genuine Epson cartridge you will see a computer chip.This how the printer recognizes how full etc the cartridge is etc & by the looks of things if it is a genuine Epson cartridge.The short answer is use Epson.Or if the printer allows you to then turn off the monitoring of the cartidges ie the little box that appears telling you of their ink levels.I to have this printer but am still on my first batch of genuine Epsons(new printer)

Cheers Steve.

Epson Stylus PhotoR300

stevo said:
Hi Roy

If you look at the end(facing you when you put the cartridge in)on a genuine Epson cartridge you will see a computer chip.This how the printer recognizes how full etc the cartridge is etc & by the looks of things if it is a genuine Epson cartridge.The short answer is use Epson.Or if the printer allows you to then turn off the monitoring of the cartidges ie the little box that appears telling you of their ink levels.I to have this printer but am still on my first batch of genuine Epsons(new printer)

Cheers Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

This was the first installation into a new printer after the original Epson black cartridge ran out. I have noticed no difference in print quality between Jet Tec and Epson. My wife is a very keen amateur photographer. She has produced numerous black and white prints from 6x4 inches up to A4 in black and white and is very satisfied with the results from the original Epson cartridge and the Jet Tec cartridge. So much so that unless she needs to produce 20x16 inch b&w prints for competition purposes she says she will stay with digital monochrome work using her Nikon CP995.

The difference in price between Jet Tec and Epson cartridges is such that I shall ignore what appears, understandably, to be at best a sales ploy by Epson. Incidentally the Jet Tec cartridge has a similar chip as the Epson.

Roy

Replacement ink cartridges

Folks,

I also have a epsom rx425 printer,which the nice people at Epsom must laugh all the way to the bank,when the ink runs out!! At £10 a cartridge,they are a bit steep... Ive heard that if you use a cheaper alternative,it can mess your printer up?? Is this a ploy made up by the printer people?? I see there are plenty of companys with own brand cartridges for sale at a lot cheaper prices i.e jet tec,hornet computer supplies,e-buyer etc etc are these replacements really that bad?? or can you reccomend a goodun.

Stuart

Stuart said:
Folks,

I also have a epsom rx425 printer,which the nice people at Epsom must laugh all the way to the bank,when the ink runs out!! At £10 a cartridge,they are a bit steep... Ive heard that if you use a cheaper alternative,it can mess your printer up?? Is this a ploy made up by the printer people?? I see there are plenty of companys with own brand cartridges for sale at a lot cheaper prices i.e jet tec,hornet computer supplies,e-buyer etc etc are these replacements really that bad?? or can you reccomend a goodun.

Stuart

I've been buying compatible cartridges from www.choicestationary.com for several years now and have no problems with them. They guarantee their products and the web site says that they will repair or replace any printer which has been damaged by their products.

Stuart said:
Ive heard that if you use a cheaper alternative,it can mess your printer up?? Is this a ploy made up by the printer people??
Stuart

I have been using compatiable cartridges for a few years. No problems, just remember to use your printer regularly, ie, at least once a week.
Most problems are due to the ink drying up, through infrequent use.
The ink supplied in some `cheap` cartridges actually contain an anti-clogging agent, unlike some original rip-off ones.
You can get a full set for the R200/300 for less then £10

Brian.

I too have been running two epson printers, (r300 & 1290) for over a year on compatible cartridges from a company called Black Diamond, whilst at £12 a set for the R300 and £9 for the 1290 they are dearer than some the quality is amazing.
I used to work for the company which field serviced the Epson printers and as such attended many training courses at Epson, they always took the stance that compatible cartridges were bad news, understandably so, indeed they always told us that we should charge the customer upto £300 dependent on model to repair any printer fault where they were using compatible cartridges, even if the fault was a none ink flow problem.
I haven't worked on Epsons for a few years now but I noticed that the later models no longer have a feature which the older models (1560 era) used to have which was an automatic self cleaning routine, something that wasn't documented but kept the heads clean whereby if you left your printer turned on continuously after around 4 hours of none use the printer would operate the print head by running the transport mechanism and squirt a very small amount of ink out of each jet into a catch area located on the far left side of the carriage, so keeping the piezo crystals lubricated and functioning.
I guess they realised that this helps the printers keep running even with compatible cartridges so as siberian says it would be good to regularly use the printer, you don't have to actually use it as such, just turn it on daily and let it carry out its initial startup routine which includes it activating the printhead jets thus stopping a build up of dust collecting in the ink on the head.

bill lord said:
I've been buying compatible cartridges from www.choicestationary.com for several years now and have no problems with them. They guarantee their products and the web site says that they will repair or replace any printer which has been damaged by their products.

Hi Bill
Thanks for the information ref. Choice Stationary. I paid twice as much (£30) for a full set of Jet Tec cartridges for my R300 from another discount company. I thought this was a reasonable price compared to Epson prices. i shall certainly be contacting CS in future.

Regards

Roy

Epson Stylus PhotoR300

I thought this reply from Jet Tec regarding if it was possible to disable the message window resulting from the installation of a non-Epson cartridge might be of interest.

Thank you for your email. Unfortunaly there is no way to clear the message appearing on the cartridge that you have purchased. Our technical department have been able to over ride this message and newer stock will not have this message appear on it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

I would be interested to know if other non-compatible cartridges show the message as noted in my thread starter. It would appear that the INKJETCARTRIDGE shop sold me old Jet Tec stock!!

Roy

Roy Ledgerton said:
Hi Bill
Thanks for the information ref. Choice Stationary. I paid twice as much (£30) for a full set of Jet Tec cartridges for my R300 from another discount company. I thought this was a reasonable price compared to Epson prices. i shall certainly be contacting CS in future.

Regards

Roy

Another tip that I inadvertently got from them was that if for any reason a single cleaning process followed by a test print did not clear the problem, then do three cleeaning cycles without allowing the printer to print, then leave the computer and printer switched on for two hours or more ( preferably overnight ) and then print a test sheet problem will be solved. It works as well.

Roy Ledgerton said:
I would be interested to know if other non-compatible cartridges show the message as noted in my thread starter. It would appear that the INKJETCARTRIDGE shop sold me old Jet Tec stock!!

Roy

The Black Diamond cartridges I mentioned earlier don't come up with any warning messages!

I use two Epson printers, one at home and one at work. The one at work is the newer printer (C82) and when the original Epson cartridges ran out, I bought some compatibles from a computer fair. After installing them (and they are chipped), I had a message telling me that they weren't genuine, but no messages after that. After a few uses, however, the print quality started to fail. Numerous head cleaning procedures did not solve the problem and I had to go out and buy some Epson ones. We tried it with Jet Tec cartridges and the problem of poor quality prints reared its head again. I was just wasting ink with all the cleaning procedures. Now we only buy originals.

My Epson at home, Stylus Color 880, with non-chipped cartridges, has never had an original cartridge in since the first ones ran out - I must have had this printer for at least 18 months. I buy them from computer fairs and have never had a problem with them.

Look out for cheap original cartridges on ebay. Probably not as cheap as compatibles but you can save quite a bit over buying originals elsewhere and at least they work and won't harm the printer.
But don't all rush and start bidding as you will force the prices up ;)

Just refill originals

Andy Wilson said:
Look out for cheap original cartridges on ebay. Probably not as cheap as compatibles but you can save quite a bit over buying originals elsewhere and at least they work and won't harm the printer.

I used non standard cartridges for years, I then moved on to refilling original cartridges using JetTec inks. I find them 100% OK, It's possible to reprogram the chip with a gadget they supply. However, I too have noticed that with the R300 Epson has programmed it to tell you that the cartridge isn't theirs (wrong, it's the ink that isn't Epson's own over priced stuff). and that it seems to "warn you" every time you print. It's useful to have the ink monitor and I guess no real surprise that they've nobbled it. I wonder how easy it would be for a manufacturer to program a printer to fail after X number of prints using other peoples ink? Just a thought!

Just refill originals

undefined
Andy Wilson said:

I used non standard cartridges for years, I then moved on to refilling original cartridges using JetTec inks. I find them 100% OK, It's possible to reprogram the chip with a gadget they supply. However, I too have noticed that with the R300 Epson has programmed it to tell you that the cartridge isn't theirs (wrong, it's the ink that isn't Epson's own over priced stuff). and that it seems to "warn you" every time you print. It's useful to have the ink monitor and I guess no real surprise that they've nobbled it. I wonder how easy it would be for a manufacturer to program a printer to fail after X number of prints using other peoples ink? Just a thought!

be quick and look at this site http://www.lynxdv.com they have some that are reasonably priced but I believe that EPSON has knobled the market on cartridges and the cheaper ones are going to run out. The cartridges work fine for me. F

bill lord said:
If you want a better price than that look at http://www.rambox.co.uk/rambox.php?fn=viewcategory&category_id=5

I'm on my first lot of these cartridges and so far they work fine.

Hi Everyone
On Bill Lord's recommendation back in April 2005 I bought compatible cartridges from Choice Stationery. The irritating notices from Epson telling me they were not Epson cartridges disappeared. I have used this supplier since then and have just bought some of their newly developed cartridges, which although more expensive, work well and give more ink per cartridge. I shall continue to use Choice Stationery products. They also supply reasonably priced glossy paper which I am very satisfied with.

Roy

what no-one seems to have mentioned is not whether compatibles work but how good the print quality is that they produce--I have an Epson 870 (now aged and blotting black ink everywhere) which I used compatibles in for a while but the colour balance and print quality was decidedly different/worse than original Epsons--like some of the people above I found that I was using/wasting ink on cleaning the heads on a regular basis and worse still was wasting expensive paper when the heads messed up during a high quality print--I reverted to Epson catridges which I now use in my R300 --yes they are a rip off but if you want accurate colours and quality for wildlife prints then you can rely on them

I made a decision to stick with Epson cartridges when went to pigment ink and on account of how little home printing I do; though I understand some third parties do provide pigment ink now.

Despite taking the route Epson would wish, their cartridge chips still conspired against me :'D

On one occasion when I changed a complete set of cartridges at once the printer failed to print anything. Turned out there was a problem with the print head and it was fixed under warranty. However all the cleaning routines I had done to try and get the cartridges to output some ink were actually recorded by the chips as very heavy uses of ink. This meant that after the repair of the printer I only managed to print a couple of A4s before these new cartridges were reported as empty. Just before forking out another £40 to replace cartridges I had had virtually no use from (and cursing Epson) it dawned on me to spend £4 on a tool produced for those who wish to refill cartidges with Epson's rival third party inks :
http://www.prink.co.uk/ink-cartridges/pages/epsonchipresetter.htm

I'm hoping the infamously large "contingency" quantity of ink that remain in Epson cartridges when the chips report that they need to be replaced will cover me against them actually running dry before they are next reported empty 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back