• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (1 Viewer)

Alexander Sergeievich, Prince Kudashev
1872-1919
No, this is not the right one, Paul. Ours was an ornithologist who travelled with Zarudny, was named Александр Евгеньевич Кудашев, and had a young wife or fiancee named Татьяна after whom he named a subspecies of Hawfinch in 1916 here. He described Acanthis cannabina taurica and A. cannabina persica a bit later in the same journal here (without "Zarudny, q.v.").

See above post #25, and posts #52 et seq.

Well based on geneology websites there is/can be only one Family of Princes Kudashev.
If so then his son:
Sergei Alexandrovich, Prince Kudashev
(1895–1920) appears to be the only candidate.

All his publications are signed "Князь А. Е. Кудашевъ" in Russian and "Prince Alexander Koudashev" in English.

Here, he wrote about his brother, which he called Prince G. E. Kudashev ("Братъ мой, князь Г. Е. Кудашевъ").

Zarudny 1916, about a trip to the Aral Sea in Jun-Jul 1914, here, p. 4: "Эта поѣздка была сдѣлана совмѣстно съ княземъ А. Е. Кудачевымъ" (= This trip was made jointly with Prince A. E. Kudachev).

Last edited:
Looking into it a bit more the princely Kudashev family seems a bit complex. Apparently any descendent of a certain Kudashev that was ennobled in the 1810s may be eligible to be called Prince or Princess and this guy had 10 children! Did anyone consider this guy? Александр Евгеньевич Кудашев (1881-1920). He is Ukranian which all the Kudashevs are, university educated, and the right age. Yes I know there is no clear link to ornithology and he is called middle class but he is worth considering.

Last edited:
I agree with Laurent, well found Mark! And well linked, Laurent :t:

That pdf probably also gives us (for example), on page 22:

abei
● as in "Parus atricapillus abei" MISHIMA 1961 (the one missing from the unseen Japan Wildlife Bulletin 18) I guess it could be worth reading all of it!

Björn

PS. As the type specimen of "Parus atricapillus abei" was collected at "Kôhtsu-san, Tokushima" in 1950, I guess (!) we´re talking of this man (here); Hisashi Abe (1933–), retired professor in Hokkaido University Natural History Museum (in 2013; Director of Hokkaido University Botanic Garden & Museum, Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere).

At least he apparently collected a specimen of the Dsinezumi Shrew Crocidura dsinezumi at "Kawashima, Tokushima pref." in the early 1950's, even before he started his University Studies, and a specimen of Japanese Shrew Mole Urotrichus talpoides on "Kotsu-san, Tokushima pref." [most likely on the mountain Kōtsū-san] in 1954 ... Of all he collected, see here.

It ought to be the proper guy.
---
As I stumbled upon abei in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds I agree the name seems not for Yoshi Abe (1883-1945) as claimed there. The claims Myotis abeiYoshikura, 1944 and Hynobius abeiSato, 1934 for Yoshi Abe by the same authors (but no birds) may more likely. But I haven't seen the ODs.

I assume this is our guy in Wikipedia?

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Google Translate transcribes "Itō" as "伊藤", which I think I see in the penultimate line of p.54 (just after "ci, 21."). My reading of Kanji doesn't go much farther than this, I fear.
----
伊藤和貴氏**. ? ("Itō Kazutaka-shi", "Mr. Kazutaka Itō" ?)

Sames person as here? Or here?

In 1886 the Hokkaido government sent Mr. Kazutaka Ito to the United States to study hatchery technology . After returning to Japan , Ito was instrumental in the development of Hokkaido's hatchery program and the Hokkaido government....

Last edited:
itooi
●Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis. Tokyo.
1927 Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1, p. 54
1927 Turdus eunomus ni Momiyama, 1, p. 141
Please see attached PDF . Ni means resemblance or likeness. The itooi name is not explained in English but maybe in the Japanese part. I added the page about furuitii falcon.
伊藤和貴氏**. ? ("Itō Kazutaka-shi", "Mr. Kazutaka Itō" ?)
Sames person as here? Or here?

和貴 can actually also be read "Kazuki", hence I'm in fact currently not fully certain of his given name. (Morioka et al 2005 were uncertain too.)

I found a short biographic note in the Yokogurayama Natural Forest Museum News (不思議の森から), 33 (Nov 2015), here (footnote ※2 on p. 3), which says:

※2 伊藤和貴 (1876−1954)
明治9年茨城県水戸市生まれ。大正13年高知私立土佐中学校(現土佐高校)教諭として赴任、昭和11年60歳まで勤務。高知博物会に入会、同じ会員たちと発起人となり、博物研究者であれば誰でも入会できる新しい形の高知博物会を設立。高知県博物学の発展に大いに貢献した。​
専門は、博物学全般であるが鳥類にも造詣が深く、特にヤイロチョウについて高知県に於ける生態を調査研究し、昭和11、12年とラジオ放送を通して県民に初めて紹介し、ヤイロチョウが「県の鳥」に指定されるきっかけになった。​
昭和9年の「第一回植物採集研究会」のために帰高した牧野博士は、高知市南奉公人町一丁目七番地の伊藤氏宅を宿所とし、以後も高知に帰る時はいつもそこを宿所とし、旅館・ホテルは一切利用しなかったようである。​
昭和11年土佐中学校を停年退職し、出身地水戸市に引き揚げようとしたが、同僚や先輩・後輩のたっての願いで思い留まり、高知営林局等の嘱託を歴任しながら高知博物会(後に高知博物学会と改称)の総務として最後まで会の発展に尽くした。昭和29年5月14日、高知市で病没(78歳)。​
Approximative translation (assuming Kazutaka is correct, which it may not be):

* 2) Kazutaka Itō (1876-1954)
Born in Mito City, Ibaraki Prefecture in Meiji 9 [= 1876]. In Taishō 13 [= 1924], he was appointed as a teacher at Kochi Private Tosa Junior High School (currently Tosa High School) and worked until the age of 60 in Shōwa 11 [= 1934]. He joined the Kochi Natural History Society, and became the founder with the same members of a new form of Kochi Natural History Society that anyone who is a naturalist could join. He greatly contributed to the development of Kochi Natural History.​
His speciality was general natural history, but he also had a deep knowledge of birds. In particular, he investigated and researched the ecology of the Fairy Pitta in Kochi prefecture, and introduced it to the citizens of the prefecture for the first time through radio broadcasting in Shōwa 11-12 [= 1936-37], which triggered the designation of the Fairy Pitta as "bird of the prefecture".​
In Shōwa 9 [= 1934], Dr. Makino, who returned for the "1st Plant Collection Study Group", used the residence of Mr. Itō at 1-7, Minamihokoninmachi, Kochi City as a lodging facility, and he always stayed there when he returned to Kochi -- it seems that he never used any inn or hotel.​
In Shōwa 11 [= 1934], he retired from Tosa Junior High School and tried to repatriate to his home town of Mito City, but he was reluctant to do so because of the wishes of his colleagues, seniors and juniors. While serving as a commissioner of the Kochi Forestry Bureau, he worked at the general affairs of the Kochi Natural History Society (later renamed the Kochi Museum Society) to the end. He died in Kochi City on 14 May of Shōwa 29 [= 1954] (78 years old).​

Momiyama in the OD (p. 55, attached to Mark's post, which is linked above) also made Itō a teacher at Tosa Junior High School, hence I don't think there can be doubt that this is the same person :

本亞種標品多數を途附ありて調査に充分なる便宜を與へられたる土佐中學校伊藤教諭の厚意に深謝し、且つ氏の名譽の爲めに斯く命名せり。

= I would like to express my deep gratitude to the teacher Itō of Tosa Junior High School for the convenience of the investigation due to the large number of specimens of this subspecies, and named it after his name.

It can't be the same person as the Kazutaka Itō who was sent to the US by the Hokkaido government to study hatchery technology in 1886, as he was too young at this point.

Last edited:
Mr. Jobling has updated ni and itooi.
http://www.hbw.com/dictionary/definition/ni .

The Key:
ni
"Turdus eunomus ni MOMIYAMA, subsp. nov. Ϯ ...Ϯ "Ni" is a Japanese [word] and means resemblance or likeness in English" (Momiyama 1927) (OD per Mark Brown) (syn. Turdus eunomus).

The "Japanese [word]" in question is "似" (Wiktionary, Google Translate).

(For what it's worth: although it is certainly a lexical element (morpheme), I'm not that sure it can really be called a Japanese "word" -- note that Wiktionary presents it merely as a "Kanji", and that neither Wiktionary nor Google attributes it a grammatical nature.)

Last edited:
Today's updated Key:
ni
"Turdus eunomus ni MOMIYAMA, subsp. nov. Ϯ ... Ϯ "Ni" is a Japanese [character] and means resemblance or likeness in English" (Momiyama 1927) (OD per Mark Brown) (syn. Turdus eunomus).
Momiyama's footnote (in/from the OD) below:
Momiyama's 1927.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back