• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura confirmations needed (1 Viewer)

Gunner92

Hi,

I would need confirmation/correction for my guesses about those ones, taken in Extremadura (Almendralejo; Hornachos) in the last month.

1) Cinereous vulture (maybe it is damn easy; but I couldn´t find a picture of a young griffon vulture in my books so I couldn´t eliminate this other option definitly...)

2) Crested Lark

3) Sardinian warbler

4) willow warbler (but for me the legs are a bit too brown-dark; but on the other hand is the underside too white for a common chiffchaff; Iberian chiffchaff maybe?)

Many thanks for all hints and answers,

cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6934.jpg
    IMG_6934.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4954.JPG
    IMG_4954.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5853.jpg
    IMG_5853.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7888.JPG
    IMG_7888.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 149
Hi there!

No 1: Correct, Black Vulture
No 2: I'd bet my money on Thekla Lark.
No 3: hmmm... Spectacled Warbler perhaps? I don't think it's a Sardinian, the head doesn't seem grey enough...
No 4: Willow warbler with odd leg colour.

1 Eurasian Black Vulture (Cinerous) not sure which name is current in use though
2 agreed
3 ???
4 Willow for me, super is bright yellow well back over eye, cheek pale, legs look light brown, especially the lower half of te left one

Regarding No 2:
I think Thekla because the mantle and back are quite distinctively streaked and the tertials contrasting. Bill is somewhat long though. Dunno...

N.4 is IBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF. Enlarging the photo is clearly seen (although a little blurry) that the bird has only one clearly emarginated primary, just like Iberian (while Willow has three of them), and the darkish legs are a neat "collybita-complex" feature...!

Thanks and congratulations,

#2 Crested Lark. Even with the bill at that angle it looks rather too long for Thekla and the lower edge looks straight / almost concave. Individual variation in plumage, even the strength / sharpness of the breast streaking, makes it unreliable as anything other than a confirmatory ID feature.
#3 Common Whitethroat. Pale eyering and pinkish, not straw coloured, base to the bill
#4 Agree with Iberian Chiffchaff. Leg colour, on the 'Willichiff' group is notoriously variable so structure, particularly that of the wing, is the only definite discriminant.

2. Crested Lark to me
3. I'll go for the Common Whitethroat, the eyering doesn't look like Sardinian
4. Definitely Iberian. Wow congratulations!

Thanks for all the help guys and BAM! Iberian Chiffchaff! I didn´t expect to come home with that one from a simple bicycle tour through one of the most monotonous monocultures I´ve ever been in :)

@3: I didn´t go for Common Whitethroat cause the eyering seems not that much bright to me and the beak not really grey, but maybe that is also cause of the shade...

Once again, thanks

I can't see anything 'definitely Iberian' or any confirming 'emarginations' on that Phyllo picture, it's simply too blurry. Actually, what can be seen of the pp projection appears on the long side for an Iberian, fitting much better a Willow W imo, and I'd say an Iberian shows four clearly emarginated primaries, not just one...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back