• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eye color sensitivity differences affect quality judgments (1 Viewer)

ksbird/foxranch

I've been hanging around Cabelas (and 3 other optics stores) recently and the Kansas City store has recently redone their optics counter. This made it easier to browse my way through the optics candy they offer.

I was comparing a variety of binoculars of the same design but with different coatings (Steiner) while I listened to the comments of the other browsers and in discussions with a former guide, who was browsing we began to notice trends.

It seems that there were numerous conflicting opinions about the quality of various brands of roof prism binoculars like Nikon, Steiner, Cabelas Olympic and Bushnell and fewer negative comments about Swaros, Zeiss and Cabelas Euro HD. With porro prism binoculars, the former guide and I both agreed that you got what you paid for, although we both wondered how it was that so many people who tried the Steiner porro prism bins, had such a wide range of opinions about Steiner porro prism bins that were the same design, but had different coatings.

Oddly enough, it seemed possible to simply move a potential customer around the Steiner line up, until one model with their "best matched" coatings was interesting to customers, or move them up to a higher grade roof prism brand to get about the same result except this time the salesman had to allow potential customers to try each of the high end brands they offered to get a "good match". The customers all seemed to be seeing things differently through each pair of bins they tested.

I have also been having a bit of a tear duct problem with my right eye and so I've been sent to a variety of ophthalmologists recently. I asked them about the peak center frequencies of human color sensitivity. While there were average frequency/color-wavelengths for people with 3 or 4 peaks in their color sensitivity, most of the research they came up with, to answer my insistent questions, showed that somewhat like fingerprints no two people had the same center/peak frequencies for their 3 or 4 peak color sensitivities.

One outdoor enthusiast ophthalmologist, was of the opinion in his own testing, that with roof prism bins, a viewer could be "looking" at either one of the colors where the phase coating frequencies did not align with the viewers' center of peak color sensitivity, OR NOT, or somewhere just off-the-peak. Since viewers have 3 or 4 color sensitivity peaks, it is all a matter of odds. The chances that the binocular manufacturer has used at least the exactly same color frequencies to phase correct as the viewer is most sensitive, is millions to one, because no one is "average", even though it is the 3 color peak average frequencies that most phase coatings are designed to fix. With the use of hundreds of these phase correction coatings the chances of finding exactly the correct match to any viewers' peak color sensitivity peaks becomes more likely.

This situation for roof prism binoculars is obvious because the "softness" of the image due to phase distortion is obvious. Not so obvious is the way it affects viewers looking through porro prism binoculars that do not have phase color distortion. Steiner makes 8x30 binoculars with the same lens sets but different AR coatings. These coatings reject certain colors in a very narrow rejection band, while helping the glass to have a more perfect surface to allow greater light transmission throughput. Some manufacturers like Nikon tend to use the same coatings on all lens surfaces in their lower price range porros, while more expensive models get various color AR coatings. But Steiner is one of the few companies that makes the same model of bin with different coatings.

The responses by viewers looking through Steiner's various coated 8x30s was interesting. Most had a real preference for certain coatings, which I could only chalk up to their sensitivity (peak color) to the narrow band color rejection of certain coating colors. But it was very interesting that those browsers who decided not to consider the Steiners for purchase, seemed to choose the same model of higher end roof prism binocular, matching up to the best Steiner 8x30 porro they preferred.

So it should be possible for people to get their color sensitivity peaks mapped, and then find that they would most likely choose certain phase coatings in roof prism binoculars, as well as specific AR coatings. Assuming the quality of lens grinding and polishing is similar, and the structural design and integrity of most binocular models is similar retaining lens alignment, then binocular manufacturers could greatly increase their total sales by offering (at least for porros) a variety of different AR coatings. For roof prisms the various frequencies that were improved by their phase coatings could be identified, and listed, so that if optics buyers knew their eye color peak sensitivity frequencies (3 or 4 numbers somewhat like a blood type), they could reduce the total time searching by, at least, beginning their optics browsing search with the coating array that most matched their eye color sensitivity. This would be even easier if manufacturers did what Steiner does w/AR coatings, and make their roofers with phase correction coatings at different color frequencies.

We all know that people of even similar shapes and sizes can adjust their driver's seats in cars in very different ways depending on what is most comfortable to them. Eyes might be similar. While we cannot adjust our eyes, because our color peak sensitivities come with us from birth, binocular manufacturers would be able to save us allot of searching time, if they listed the 2 kinds of color frequencies that are changed when coatings are used for phase correction and AR. Roof prism phase coatings modify the appearance of some colors more than others. AR coatings modify (through rejection) a certain group of colors as well. Giving buyers this information isn't useful unless buyers know which colors they are most sensitive about, but it gives buyers a stating point to compare models.

Now back to Nikon Action bins. While the rejected green color of their AR coatings might seem to be the same green color all the time, this isn't really likely due to the "imperfect" method of coating applications. So even though there may be 10 surfaces with the "same" green color of AR color coating, which should have the same center frequency of the rejected color, in the real world there is likely to be rejection of 10 different shades of green, all near to the center color frequency of the intended rejection band of the AR coating. So even if manufacturers specified the intended rejection color frequency, they should also specify how many times in the optical system, they use that same coating, in order to allow for buyers to waste less time in making their choices in binoculars.

Right now, even though browsing is great fun for some of us (like me), it is a truly burdensome task for many potential buyers, which wastes so much time, trying to find the binocular that suits them best. The time wasted either finding or NOT finding a suitable binocular for their purposes reduces sales greatly. Although I visit Cabelas often and the huge Kansas City, Bass superstore quite often recently because they are near my ophthalmologists' offices, these are stores are aimed at the hunting/camping market, I also visit the Wild Birding stores and the local store that services the KC Astronomical Society. Almost every kind of binocular made is available in these places or for sale at the KS Astro flea market.

Most everyone agrees that the Nikon highest end porro bin is the best in general, but not waterproof. The guide and I both liked the Zeiss Marine 7x50 porro and the Swaro Habicht porro 10x40 because they are truly great bins, and they are waterproof. Now with our discussions about coatings over a cup of Cabelas coffee in the KC store's very nice cafeteria, we both wondered if the coatings on our preferred choice in bins might make those 2 bins "better" for us because their coatings might better match our color sensitivity peaks.

The guide did tell me that his regular area of guiding took place in a mountainous area of Wyoming with numerous cliffs. He laughed as he tald stories about numerous hunters who threw their bins or rifle scopes off of cliffs because they had spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on binoculars (mostly roof prisms), and then discovered that in real world settings, they were unable to see from one cliff to the sides of the next nearest hill or mountain, while their guide was frantically trying to get them to see what he could see. It was only when these hunters looked away from their bins or scopes with their eyes that they could usually see the tiny (camouflaged-by-nature) animals they had paid allot of money to find. I find this problem to be the same with birding.

I can usually spot birds in sunlight on my ranch about as well as the next guy with binoculars. But when they hide in shadows or it is dusk or dawn, I often find birds others cannot fully make out. If the binocular you use maximizes your ability to distinguish color and shadows (and thus forms), then they are doing the best job for you. But if bins are designed for the "average eye", and your eyes aren't average (almost no one has perfectly average eyes with respect to the center color frequency of their peak sensitivities), then your eyes could be fighting the binocular view, instead of being enhanced by this view. So maybe by wasting enormous amounts of time trying out binoculars, I've found a few pairs that maximize the abilities my eyes already have. But I was lucky to have the time and the opportunities to find these bins, not everyone is so lucky.

Manufacturers could make things easier for us with some real information about their coatings. Anyone else find this is the case for them? Why should it be random chance, CONSTANTLY, and a huge effort by buyers to find a binocular that suits us best? Even if one set of variables is eliminated by only buying the best porros available, not everyone has stores carrying all the available models. A good set of useful specs about the center frequencies of the colors affected by phase and AR coatings would help, once we have each established our own particular eye/color-peak-frequencies. Then we could buy bins by mail order and be more confident we were getting what we really wanted. At least this way, we could use our own color-peak-sensitivity-type as we browsed to teach ourselves which colors mean the most to our eyes, and then in future we could reduce the amount of time we might waste, searching for a new or vintage binocular.

I think you might have some basic misunderstanding regarding how AR coatings function. They don't reject light at all, but in fact allow light to pass thru an air-to-glass surface without being REFLECTED BY THE GLASS.

Technically, it has been difficult to come up with an AR multi-coating recipe that prevents the "broadband" visible spectrum from being EVENLY passed. So OEM marketing magicians have recently turned this negative into positive by claiming their optics/coatings are "tuned" to one end of the spectrum or the other.

I suspect other factors are more important. Ultimately it is the number of COATED (single and/or mult-) and UNCOATED air-to-glass surfaces, the glass thickness, and chemical composition of the glass/AR coating, and the choice of aluminium, silver, or dielectric REFLECTIVE coated roof prism that affect the total spectrum that is passed thru the OPTICAL SYSTEM.

As for Steiner, they are the "Nikon" of the Euro-bin OEM's. They share the same business model in that they try to hit as many price points with as many models as possible, prefering volume to margin. Zeiss, Leica and Swarovsky prefer a high margin model.

Last edited:
The subject of colour and contrast is something that has been puzzling me for a while and KR's described some of the aspects (at some length. ;) )

Where I've been able to find transmission profiles for the binoculars I've tried, in generally terms I seem to get a more appealing view and better contrast where there is a slight peak in the red, but any truncation in the spectrum or a strong peak in the blue is detrimental, but this changes a bit with weather, season and time of day. (Wouldn't it be nice to have a pair for each occasion.) From reviews and comments on the forum it's clear others have strongly different preferences.

I've tried to dig a little bit into the biology of our colour perception, and we do vary quite a bit. We normally have the three colour receptors (S, M, L, or blue green red), but they are not the identical for everyone. Men in particular are a mixed bunch. Apart from the well recognised deficiencies such as colour blindness, there are a number of common mutations which alter the peak sensitivity of the receptors. This is most common in the L (red) receptor. (Yes some carry two variants and technically have 4 receptors). On top of that there appears to be differences in the ratio of the three types, the density and how evenly they are distributed. The average wavelength sensitivity for the population is usually described as the photopic curve, but individuals can vary significantly.

I guess it's obvious to everyone that the light changes quite a bit too, particularly the blue to red ratio, with the time of day and season, weather etc. So some of us will see better in some conditions than others and get different performance from binos accordingly.

I guess Steiner, more obviously than other brands, designs the AR coating for it's ranges according to application (and price). General, tropical, marine, birding and hunting as far as I can tell. SkyHawk (for birding) is supposed to be the most neutral colour balance. Although I've not seen transmission data for the different ranges, I think it's clear that they modify the curves for different climactic conditions and to emphasise one colour against another based on the average sensitivity. It doesn't seem surprising that individuals can find a preference among otherwise identical pairs by trying the different AR coatings, even for the same application. However personally, I think it goes beyond this.

In the last couple of years I've tried many dozens of binos, and possibly thee have had 'super-contrast' for want of a better expression. What I mean is, for certain light conditions they allow me to spot birds and other stuff in the view significantly better than I can with other 'good contrast' pairs. (None of these were alphas). I own one pair like this, but I can hand them to someone else and they don't see anything special at all.

I agree with what I think KS is saying. What seems to be emerging is that the characteristic isn't really model or brand specific as much as user specific. A chance coincidence of the design (or production variation) and the particular visual make-up of the user. How it works I really don't know. It might well be the subtle detail of the AR coatings as he suggests, but I honestly can't see it in the published transmission curves or indeed the detail of photopic curves or receptor sensitivity spectra. I can appreciate the view from the flattest spectra as much as anyone I guess, but when it comes to hunting out detail, finding that pair that matches you seems to be more important. I wish I better understood how this phenomenon works and could save time and energy in choosing pairs too. I'd love to know if there is a better explanation, but in the mean time KR's guess seem as good as any. If he's correct, the concept of customised coatings (if that is the explanation) is really appealing if realistically improbable. However to produce a variety of filters to fit otherwise neutral binos may not be beyond the range of possibility. They kind of do it for the camera market.

David

Your premise, that color sensitivity differs among individuals, is interesting. Can you substantiate that, other than sort of "anecdotally"?
Ron

Your premise, that color sensitivity differs among individuals, is interesting. Can you substantiate that, other than sort of "anecdotally"?
Ron

Ron,

Visual sensitivity functions certainly vary between individuals, as evidenced in the underlying psychophysics data. However, unlike an optical system, which is subject to fairly small measurement error, each individual is subject to variability due to all kinds of biological/psychological influences. Most notable is the adaptative state of the retina. I'm not at all sure that an individual's perceptual signature could be so easily measured, therefore, or that it would remain constant.

Ed

Last edited:
Ron,

I've not managed to find a plain English account of colour vision variation. There is a lot in the scientific literature, but the language and terms are more than a little challenging.

Some of the points I made are mentioned in this paper on colour TVs. Still not an easy read, but hopefully you'll get the main points. Section B of Sources of Variation on the second page of this paper.
http://macboy.uchicago.edu/~eye1/PDF files/chromatic discrim axes JOSA 95.pdf
What practical differences these variations make and how brain processes the 3-channel colour information is buried in the psychology literature which is even more obscure and difficult to access, but the bottom line seems to be that not only do we detect colour differently but we process the information, interpret and react to it differently as well.

Hopefully there are others out there that can explain what happens in simple terms.

David

I believe most of us are familiar with the often-cited photopic and scotopic color sensitivity curves. They are simple single-peaked humps, that rise from 400nm, peak at 510nm at night and 555nm by day, and fall again to zero at 700nm. This was first measured over a hundred years ago, and has been remeasured by so many researchers, with so many methods, on so many subjects, and with so little variation, that it is a cornerstone of visual science. If it is wrong, or varies appreciably from person to person, I very much want to know it. I try to be open minded, honest I do, but I am laboring under the belief that this is about as well established as any truth in science. Here is a link to the daytime sensitivity function:

http://www.amastro2.org/at/ot/othcs.html

These measurements are typically made in such a way as to try to isolate the eye's color response, and minimize the complicating incoherence that is bound to arise, if, for example, during the measurement, the subject sees brightly colored explosions all around, is eating chocolate ice cream, is randomly hit with a couple hundred volts, or is being bitten by mosquitoes. Not to mention sales talk, and peer pressure. It is easy to screw up a measurement, and possible to build an entire science out of screwing up a measurement, I reckon. But do not lose sight of the simple things, people.

Why do opinions of binoculars fall all over the place? Psychology, indeed! But, significant differences in people's color sensitivity, I continue to doubt, until shown otherwise.
Ron

Last edited:
But, significant differences in people's color sensitivity, I continue to doubt, until shown otherwise.
Ron

Just one of the sources of variation. One of many, many papers showing difference in the red sensitivity in normal males with the L opsin 180 serine/alanine genotype. This is the commonest molecular variant with a demonstrable phenotype. It represents about a 40/60% distribution in the normal male population.
http://optometry.osu.edu/research/VisualPerceptionLaboratory/pdfs/0042-6989-2139-2152.pdf

Don't know how you define significant, but variations do exist. I have no idea if this on it's own could explain some of the reaction to coatings, but there are plenty of others.

The perception thing is another matter. A relatively readable review:
http://wolfweb.unr.edu/~mwebster/assets/pdfs/WebsterNetwork1996.pdf

Searching google books for visual genetics or perception will give you some idea of current thinking on the subjects.

David

!st of all the color sensitivity "humps" we see on "standard carts" are averages, not fixed points that all eyes adhere to. Some people have 4 color sensitivity humps others have three. No one is likely to have exactly the same center frequency for their 3 or 4 sensitivity humps as anyone else. The fact that these AVERAGES are being used as being fixed points is obviously a mistake. Remember, some of us have 3 color sensitivity "humps" others have 4 sensitivity "humps". None of us are the same. I posted the links to these facts previously. (see below)

Now as to modern AR coatings. Only zirconium oxide when used as an AR coating will not reflect a color back at the viewer when seen from the front of the objective lens because only zirconium oxide, smooths out the surface of a piece of glass to allow for perfectly parallel light beams to enter without having a distinct narrow rejection band. When you look at the front of your objective lens and you see a colored reflection, like green for Nikon, or blue for older single coatings, this is because a narrow band of that color light is being rejected, while the rest of the light (let's say 99.9%) passes through. I've been told that zirconium oxide is no longer used as a chemical for AR coatings because it is too expensive, although I still have Bausch & Lomb telescopes with zirconium oxide AR coatings from the 70s and they still amaze me because of their lack of a rejection band color. It is kind of spooky to look at a piece of glass like a SC corrector plate and not see anything.

I wrote about ZiO and coatings in a previous thread with the words "Zirconium Oxide" in the thread title. Now back to color sensitivity of the eye for a moment.

I find this monograph a bit easier to read than others

http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/color1.html

But here is (IMO) the most important part below (combined with new research). The latest research of great interest to my ophthalmologists seems to suggest that there is an additional sensor to typical rods and cones, newly discovered in human eyes. Before that was the new research showing that some people do indeed have 4 color sensitivity peaks, not 3. But I'll quote now about AVERAGES.

START
"individual differences in color experience

Perhaps the most significant and underreported fact to emerge from color research is the large individual variations that characterize our collective color experience.

These variations have been justifiably suppressed in the color vision literature in the pursuit of a consensus or "average" color description that can drive standard models of color vision and standard methods of color measurement. For artists, who must work within a personal esthetic vision and color sense, individual differences in color vision are less easily dispensed with. Let's see what we can infer from the scraps of evidence available.

One occasionally finds in the color research literature mention of the size of this problem in specific contexts. Peter Kaiser and Robert Boynton, in their discussion of hue discrimination, observe that

Comparisons between different observers, whether in the same or a different experiment, present a discouraging picture. Although observers agree on certain major trends, individual differences are best described as enormous (Human Color Vision, 2nd ed., p.343).

Günter Wyszecki and W.S. Stiles, reviewing studies of the MacAdam ellipses, say that

When one confines the intercomparison [between subjects] to a particular location in the chromaticity diagram, the ellipses of different observers are quite often not in close agreement. Rather, larger discrepancies are noted in the orientation, size and shape of the ellipses (Color Science, 2nd. ed., p.323).

(CHART)

Individual differences appear clearly in opponent hue cancellation experiments. The exact shape of the opponent curves and the resulting hue discrimination differ significantly from one person to the next, probably because of individual differences in the proportions, distribution and photopigment chemistry of the L, M and S cones, and in the optical density of the lens and macular pigment."

END

There are nice charts showing how wildly some of the variations in color perception really can be. You see, in order to "move ahead" with engineering projects like office building lighting, engineers want "Given"s. Thus the sensitivity of the human eye to color was listed by the AVERAGE of many tests, and then we were told, "everyone in like this", which is simply not true. It was easier to have one standard so street lighting, billboard lighting etc. could be designed, than to face up to the reality of human color sensitivity being wildly varied, rather than assume that all human light/color sensitivity is completely variable and then try to come up with lighting standards that would be good for everyone.

Allot of vision-related problems, like only some people getting unexplained headaches under specific lighting conditions, might be explained if we tested those people for their color sensitivity. As RonH points out, color sensitivity is a cornerstone of visual science, and is accepted as much as any truth in science, both of which are untrue, shows how badly we have failed to follow up on the "problem" of:

How does the huge variations in color sensitivity and perception affect our judgment of products where color fidelity is key (ex. binoculars)? This dirty little "secret" doesn't get studied because most people don't realize it is there. Another quote shows how this works for the way different people see different colors and hues. Here the chart is very helpful, but I have put in this quote so you can find the chart more easily.

START
"An irrefutable and disconcerting example is in the large variation in unique hue choices across individuals in different color perception studies. Here viewers are put the simple task of choosing, for example, the specific yellow that appears to contain no tint of red or green. The general picture, illustrated at right, is not the same for all hues. The narrowest variations occur in the choice of unique yellow, and second for unique red, which indicate generally better agreement across individuals on the "warm" side of the color space. Much larger variations appear in the choices of unique blue and unique green.

The variation in green, which covers one quarter of the hue circle, deserves a closer look. Illustrated below are the results from a single study in which 50 men and 50 women viewed moderately bright monochromatic (maximally saturated) green color patches that were 1° in diameter (twice the apparent size of the full moon) and seen against a white background; patches were viewed for one second with a 3 minute rest period between viewings to eliminate chromatic adaptation effects. The subjects were asked to indicate whether each green contained some yellow or some blue, and the color adjusted accordingly until their unique green was located.

THERE IS ANOTHER MISSING CHART HERE

individual choices of unique green
black square indicates average unique green; data from Volbrecht, Nerger & Harlow (1997)

As a whole, the color vision literature is also vexed with inconsistent results of the same visual effect or mechanism across different research methods. This certainly means context matters: in most cases the variation in responses across different studies is much larger than the variation in responses by the same individual in the same study. But it is often difficult to account for the variation in terms of the study methods or a generic model of color vision. It may be that individual differences in the same situation mean individuals adapt differently to different situations, and color experience is actually more diverse than it seems in a single study."
END

When I find the articles describing the newest color sensor found in the human eye, as well as the paper showing that in a large study 10%-11% of those people studied had 4 peaks of color sensitivity instead of 3, I will post those as well.

I'm interested in this 4th peak as I've not seen any reference to it in my hunting around. (assuming you don't mean rods). I've seen a few papers suggesting polymorphism is common, with multiple substitutions being expressed, but relatively few result in a readily distinguished sensitivity spectrum changes. The one that is described in the paper I cited results in a 2.6 to 4.3nm lambda max. It's enough to cause a sensitivity change in colour matching studies but wouldn't be described as a new peak, particularly in a heterogeneous receptor population. Bigger shifts have been identified but are rare.

David

Here is a story about how varied our color sensitivity is.

I printed out the web page below to show to my ophthalmologist during a recent visit

http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/364/1531/2957.full#ref-10

when I asked my ophthalmologist what the following phrase meant:

"in the range of approximately 530 and 560 nm"

He looked at his handbook and said that the chemical pigments produced were likely 530nm-560nm for the first standard deviation group of people (67-71%-ish), 508nm-529nm or 561nm-581nm for the second standard deviation (21-23%-ish) and 480nm-507nm or 582nm-600nm (6-8%-ish) for the third standard deviation group of people. So I asked him if a very few people would be super sensitive to cyan or yellow, the way Most people were sensitive to mid-band green, based on the pigment chemistry of their eyes? He said that while it wasn't that simple, it might account for the 4 peak sensitivity color viewers that are now being found.

Seems that the "wide variations" problem listed in a previous link is something that many scientists are studying now. Even governments that want to develop false color night-vision equipment need to know these variations, so they don't use false colors, that are extremely difficult for their pilots to detect. This seems to be needed because the current mix of black with green is not visually sufficient for many pilots at night.

It stands to reason to me that our vision's color sensitivity would be "in a range" similar to the way we might all have leg bones whose shape and sizes would be different, though similar. So the way we buy pants, might equate to the way we should be buying optics. So having numerical values on our waists gives us the most efficient sorting method because those would fit our waist, there should be a numerical value that allows "eye-fitting", either that, or the variations amongst eyes is much greater than "standards" would claim.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure there is some misunderstanding there. What it seems to refer to are the M and L pigments in humans which are proximally 530nm and 560nm peak sensitivity but varies in wavelength in other species. They are thought in pre-history to have been derived from the same gene, hence the monkey comparisons and the bits on dichromates and trichromates. There are a number of confusing elements at work here and I don't pretend to understand more than a fraction of it. Apart from various forms of colour blindness there is only a modest difference in the peak absorption of the optical pigments, but enough to be readily detected in the green red end of the spectrum. However there are numerous other differences in an individual's eyes, which may also contribute to detectable differences in sensitivity. However it is the brain's processing which is probably the most variable element. After all it interprets 3 channel digital information as a continuous colour spectrum for a start, but there are a myriad of mechanisms that modulate the interpretation of the signals received from the eye. So far I've never seen anything other than average data reported, and the scope for variation seems to be represented in the other documents you've uncovered.

David

Typo,
Thanks for addressing my question, and for those references, which I look forward to reading. I had already found something of interest in one of my favorites, the 2010 edition of the JOSA Handbook of Optics, Vol III Vision and Vision Science. Although the material is presented at a higher level in spots than I can handle, it is a self contained work, that presents things logically. It has a great amount of material on color perception of course. Here is some of what it says about the color sensitivity curve that we have all seen.

1) The original CIE curve, adopted in 1924, is now known to be in error in its underprediction of sensitivity at lower wavelengths. A better curve was adopted in 1964.

2) "Luminous efficiency shows sizeable individual differences even after individual differences in macular and lens pigmentation have been taken into account." What follows relates to individual variations in the weighting of the L cones response relative to the M, and I haven't figured out how to get a % difference in total sensitivity out of it yet. But their calling the effect sizeable is good enough for me, and I stand corrected. How much this might affect people's perception of the view through binoculars, I can't say, but such an effect certainly seems plausible.
Ron

Thanks Ron,

Sounds like a nice concise source. I'd been trying to piece the story together, mostly from the original work, but it's like trying to do a jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing.

Agree that it's a big step from being 'different' to understanding how coatings etc. work for individuals. If we did know, I can't see many manufacturers responding to it, and it would be a stocking and selling nightmare for retailers if they did. Even companies like Steiner categorise the market, and I suspect few stores (at least over here) would carry more ore or two of the ranges. KS's anecdotes seems to ring true to me.

We debate the technical merits of various pairs and brands, but don't really understand how filtering the view through binoculars might be interpreted by different users. Some test pairs for optical properties, and even transmission, but using that information to define a rule book for individual suitability is unlikely to happen soon. However, I don't see why some smart person couldn't devise a colour test chart, designed for birding and other applications. However I guess that might lead down the uncomfortable path where no alpha pair would be 'right' for some people.

On that note, an anecdote of my own. I tried printing a simple resolution type test chart, with coloured lines on coloured backgrounds. I expected to see results that followed the recognised colour contrast ranking. I tried two pairs I own. One more or less gave text book results. My 'super-contrast' pair were different. The apparent resolution of yellow on blue and blue on yellow was much better than the other combinations including black on white. I don't know what this means but it's tempting to think that differences like this might be part of the story.

David

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is color blindness. From Wikipedia, it can affect around 8% of
males but only .5% of females. It has different degrees of what colors are affected, and
may also have some bearing on the discussion.

Jerry

Jerry,

I don't think colour blindness is any barrier to enjoying birding. My father had a red/green deficiency and had few problems. However he was much better on bird song than I'll ever be. ;)

How coatings would interact with classic colour blindness I don't know, but for the commonest forms I would expect some similarities with regard to discerning contrast. There must be some forum members who could comment.

I guess we've all done a Ishihara or similar test at some time. I imagine it's possible to design something similar for the more subtle differences in the 'normal' range now some of the common variations are better understood. Do regular opticians use anomaloscopes?

David

Originally Posted by ksbird/foxranch

"As a whole, the color vision literature is also vexed with inconsistent results of the same visual effect or mechanism across different research methods. This certainly means context matters: in most cases the variation in responses across different studies is much larger than the variation in responses by the same individual in the same study. But it is often difficult to account for the variation in terms of the study methods or a generic model of color vision. It may be that individual differences in the same situation mean individuals adapt differently to different situations, and color experience is actually more diverse than it seems in a single study."
END

When I find the articles describing the newest color sensor found in the human eye, as well as the paper showing that in a large study 10%-11% of those people studied had 4 peaks of color sensitivity instead of 3, I will post those as well.

KSBird,

After thinking about this a bit more, I believe you may be drawing several premature conclusions. Yes, the quoted articles show there is considerable variability between people, but also non-inconsequential variability within people, i.e., both inter- and intra-subject variability is present in abundance. This fact has dogged visual science since the beginning (at least since the 17th Century), and what you are picking up, rather than "dirty little secrets," is the unabashed frustration among scientists who depend upon data reliablity.

Whatever the case, however, idiosyncratic differences in static sensitivity curves might account for inter-subject effects, but certainly not intra-subject effects. In addition, since psychophysics laboratories and procedures produce different results, this also puts into question how to determine an individual's sensitivity profile.

Fortunately, two point may mitigate all this: First, with the exception of gross abnormalities, people typically are unaware of their own color vision performance. They live happily with what they have. If an optical system were designed with a flat %-transmission curve within the visual range, therefore, which seems to be the industry's holy quest, all observers would be left with an unaltered color processing situation, except for the imposition of brightness loss and optical aberrations.

Second, it is not generally understood that the adaptive state of the eye (which I mentioned briefly in post #6) is not only continuously changing with the lighting conditions, but is also adapting non-uniformly over the retina. In other words, unlike even the most expensive modern camera, the retina exhibits differential adaptation, and, hence, differential sensitivity. Now there is a problem!

For my next lifetime I'm considering studying the effect of magnified optical images on differential visual adaptation. If you happen to come across research in this area please let me know before I depart. |:d|

It's an interesting thread.

Thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back