• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye floaters (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
Hi,
Like the thread on laser eye treatment in this forum, I'm not sure exactly where this should go (if anywhere), but I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Does anybody else suffer from "floaters" in your eyes? They're like cobwebs, or strands or whirlpools which float around your eyes. Apparently what you see is the shadow of debris inside the eye. I've had them in my left eye for years, but recently they've become significantly worse, and are now in both eyes. When I say significantly worse, I don't want to overplay this, because with my glasses on, I still have excellent vision and can read the smallest line at the opticians.

But these floaters drive me mad. They are particularly bad on a sunny day if I look at the sky, or if I look at a white background on the computer or when I try to read the paper outside on a bright day. I can even see them with my eyes closed when it's daylight. Apparently a lot of people suffer from them.

They impact on my birding because I can't stare at the sky for long, on my job because I can't concentrate on the screen for long and I can't relax and read a book for long. There's no pain, it's just distracting and maddening.

I just wondered if there were any fellow sufferers here, and if you have any tips for getting rid of them, reducing them or simply learning to live with them.

Thanks

Hi Bobby,
Floaters can sometimes be shifted by quickly rolling your eyes to one side, then slowly moving them to the other side and then quickly rolling them back again. This can sometimes cause the jelly within the eye to move slightly and shift the floater from your line of sharpest vision. I have a singleton in my right eye that responds to this.
However, rapid increases in the number of floaters can be an early symptom of more serious problems, so if you haven't been seen by your optician lately I would advise that you organise a visit to rule any sinister pathology.

Great advice above. See your doctor or Opthamologosit as soon as you can, especially if it's getting worse.

John.

Funny that, I have a seriously annoying vertical floater in my right eye and have just booked to see the opticians. Been two months now and hope it can be sorted, same to you Coigach.

Any worse it will be three Wibbles! ;)

My optician told me that nothing can be done about them, that they are due to the jelly of the eye contracting with age - worse with short-sighted people - and that they are worst against plain backgrounds, esp. blue and white! Sorry!

My optician told me that nothing can be done about them, that they are due to the jelly of the eye contracting with age - worse with short-sighted people - and that they are worst against plain backgrounds, esp. blue and white! Sorry![/QUOTE

Believe it or not, I had these and got rid of them by taking vitamins formulated for the eyes. Bausch and Lomb among others sells these vitamins in the USA. I don't know what you have where you are located, but a good multi vitamin formula might work. The eye formula's all contain Lutein in them plus Vitamins A, C, E and Zinc.

Worth a try!

Bob

My optician told me that nothing can be done about them, that they are due to the jelly of the eye contracting with age - worse with short-sighted people - and that they are worst against plain backgrounds, esp. blue and white! Sorry![/QUOTE

Believe it or not, I had these and got rid of them by taking vitamins formulated for the eyes. Bausch and Lomb among others sells these vitamins in the USA. I don't know what you have where you are located, but a good multi vitamin formula might work. The eye formula's all contain Lutein in them plus Vitamins A, C, E and Zinc.

Worth a try!

Bob

I can understand this as that we all feel the same way here. Yes, it could be grounds for a significant eye problem, whatever it is.

A trip to the opticans would not go amiss. They have every gadget in the book now, to check your vision, and will assist you in every way they can

I would also consider if you have diabetes/Glaucoma (or have this disease in the genetics of your family), that can trigger unwarranted eye problems. I know it is none of my business, but just a thought to have your eyes checked more so than ever.

I am shortsighted myself and the floaters are a pain, but as you say you learn to live with them. Moving your eye ball around more keeps them at bay. They are a blooming pest at the best of times.

Ian Pritchard/Ceasar: Can you get these tablets in the UK easily?

Last edited:
HooWee I knew taking those pills might be good for something. I actually buy mine at Wal-Mart (hangs head in shame)
They are called Bausch&Lomb Preservision.
My partner just experienced her first bout with floaters. One of the things the docs said was to make sure you have a dilated eye exam if you think it might be a vitreous detachment, because sometimes they can produce a tear or detachment of the retina.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I did go to my doctors yesterday (wasn't sure if it should have been the optician, but in the end went for the doctor).

He had a look and reckons it's quite common and something I've just got to learn to live with. However, he did recommend that I go to see an Opthamologosit just in case, so I have booked an appointment for the middle of September.

The suggestion that I should take multi vitamins is an interesting one, and one which I have already considered. I have been vegetarian for 22 years. I believe that I have a balanced and healthy diet, but perhaps not as good as I thought? Worth a try anyway.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have this problem also and will have it checked it is especially annoying seawatching as the "floater" crosses my vision I try to follow it with the scope thinking its a distant bird , Interesting about the vitamins any alternatives in the UK.
Brian

The multivitamin might benefit if your diet is not sufficient, but don't expect it will do anything to improve floaters. Floaters are commonly caused by opacities within the vitreous, often by portions of the vitreous that have detached from the back wall of the eye and that are able to cast a shadow on the retina when the ambient lighting is right. Plain backgrounds, a sky or bright surface like a wall or a book page are frequently enough. Those kinds of floaters are usually stable. They don't change much over time and aren't usually associated with other visual phenomena.

Sudden appearance of new floaters and other disturbances are another story and need to be promptly evaluated by an eye doctor and with a dilated retinal exam.

Vitamin supplements are commonly recommended for patients with macular degeneration, but that is not a disorder that produces floaters.

I was really intersted reading this thread as in the past I have had alot of problems with floaters myself. I think the idea of vitimins is a really good idea. In addition I have heard that "eyebright" tea is really good for your eyes. I have read that alot of British WW 2 night bombers used to drink it prior to their perilous missions across enemy territory. Also billberry tea. One thing I did notice with my floaters was that after a cup of coffee they got alot worse - dont know what that means, but it was my experience. If nothing else - pretend that the floaters are rare birds - imagine how your life list will grow - lol

I have this problem also and will have it checked it is especially annoying seawatching as the "floater" crosses my vision I try to follow it with the scope thinking its a distant bird , Interesting about the vitamins any alternatives in the UK.
Brian

Try www.healthydirect.co.uk They have a couple of items that might, I take Bilberry tablets that are good for night vision.o:)

For more information on floaters visit -- http://www.eye-floaters.com/

One thing I did notice with my floaters was that after a cup of coffee they got alot worse - dont know what that means, but it was my experience. If nothing else - pretend that the floaters are rare birds - imagine how your life list will grow - lol

Brian
That is exactly how it is. You have explained the situation so well. You look at a bird in the distance, become enthralled with what you are seeing. Only to discover it is a floater instead, frustration kicks in :-C
Yes vitamins have been an afterthought here. I never thought of taking them at all, only to help things a little if not a lot. :t:

Henry
Bilberries, never thought of that at all. Where have I been, and not taken note of these things?
Thank you for your link. I have saved it to favs

Robert
Thank you for your link, I have saved it to favs

danehower
I have noticed here that coffee makes things worse here too, so you are right in what you say. The same applies to alcohol. The floaters start to dance around and I feel giddy looking at them. :eek!:

I just hate having them at all. They are just an inconvenience. :-C

Put it another way, it is a question of saying here that we all have our sight, and that is what is most important at the end of the day. ;) :t:

Today I had an appointment with an Ophthalmic consultant. She examined my eyes and did lots of tests and put three different types of drops into my eyes. Her conclusion was that my floaters are down to me being short sighted and that there is nothing sinister going on. Big relief, except that I just have to learn to live with them.

She did say that I had dry eye syndrome, and gave me instructions on cleaning my eyelids and recommended that I use some drops regularly. Dry eye syndrome makes my eyes feel hot, and makes it difficult for me to look at the computer screen for long and makes it uncomfortable for me to be outside on sunny days. Hopefully I can now overcome these problems at least.

So thanks to everybody who replied.

Today I had an appointment with an Ophthalmic consultant. She examined my eyes and did lots of tests and put three different types of drops into my eyes. Her conclusion was that my floaters are down to me being short sighted and that there is nothing sinister going on. Big relief, except that I just have to learn to live with them.

She did say that I had dry eye syndrome, and gave me instructions on cleaning my eyelids and recommended that I use some drops regularly. Dry eye syndrome makes my eyes feel hot, and makes it difficult for me to look at the computer screen for long and makes it uncomfortable for me to be outside on sunny days. Hopefully I can now overcome these problems at least.

So thanks to everybody who replied.
Congratulations, Bobby, I´m glad all has turned out well. I only just found this thread, I´ve had floaters all my life, I can remember being frustrated by them while seawatching as an 11-year old (in 1973). I used to roll my eyeballs around rapidly to try and dispel them. That seemed to temporarily shift them. I remember being told once that they were dead blood cells on the retina, or something, but I´m not sure. An optician more recently told me they´re just something one has to live with. I wonder if we are particularly aware of floaters because we´re birders, i.e. we spend a lot of time staring out to sea, or at estuaries, or whatever, making a wonderful backdrop for our floaters to put on a display? In any case, thank God we have our eyesight, floaters and all!!!:t:

Congratulations, Bobby, I´m glad all has turned out well. In any case, thank God we have our eyesight, floaters and all!!!:t:

Hi Bobby

I am pleased to hear that all has gone well for you at the Ophthalmic consultant.

Floaters are a pain, but it is possible to live with them by all accounts. It seems to be a thing connected with short sightedness, and it is part of the problem that goes along with it.

I agree with Sancho that the main thing is you have your eye sight, that is the most important thing in the world. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back