• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eye test (can you identify these birds by their eyes alone? (1 Viewer)

onlybill

I've noticed that many of the wading and shorebirds in the southern United States have very distinctive eyes. I've assembled a collection of twelve from my photographs. Can you identify the birds they belong to?

Attachments

• EYE TEST.jpg
    EYE TEST.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 199
4 - White Ibis?
6 - Brown Pelican
7 - Double-crested Cormorant
8 - American Oystercatcher
10 - Yellow-crowned Night-heron
11 - Great Egret?
11 - Reddish Egret?

Still four unidentified

On-Firecrest you are correct with 2 being a tricolored heron and 9 being a Black-crowned Night Heron. - The tricolored was tricky. Good job.
Progne Subis ~You obviously know your birds! You are correct on 4(white ibis),6(brown pelican) 7(double-crested cormorant) 8(American Oystercatcher) 10 (Yellow-crowned Night Heron). 11 was indeed a great egret. Your first guess was correct. Care to venture a guess on 1, 3, 5, and 12?

not a reddish egret

a hint; 12 is the one that is not a wading or shorebird- although he looks like he could be. One more hint: 5 and 7 share something in common.

Last edited:
Correct! 5 is an Anhinga

Very good identification. The similarity between #5 (Anhinga) and #7 (cormorant) is that both lack the oil glands to make their feathers waterproof, so making submersion in water easier. Both can be seen with outstretched wings drying them.
Alright, that leaves #1, #3, and #12.

no, #1 is not a roseate spoonbill

if you think I'm going to tell you that if you changed #1 to #? you would be correct, you are crazy

Correct! #3 is a Roseate Spoonbill

Good job Birdbrainjwc.
Now that leaves #1 and #12. Remember I said one bird was the only one showing breeding colors. Some birds actually change eye color during this mating season. For example the male Great Egret not only gets a green facial coloration, but the eyes become red! See what I mean in this crop from one of my photos.

Attachments

• great-egret-Face.jpg
    great-egret-Face.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
#12 is not a snowy egret

goshawk227 - You might be close to being correct with #1.
Let me sum up what I've revealed on #12.
1)It is not a wading or shore bird, but it looks like it could be
2)The eye color is only seen during breeding season.
and few more hints: It is a male and in it's normal coloration could easily be confused with a very common wading bird

Last edited:
Yes!!! #12 is a Cattle Egret

Excellent Kit!

#12 is a male cattle egret showing breeding colors. I was starting to think no one would ever figure it out.

That only leaves #1, and someone has just about (but not quite) identified it already.

no American Bittern

The only one not identified is #1. Among the previous posts the correct answer
was partially given, and I'm sure that many know the bird by that shortened name, however I need the whole name.

Once I have the last one identified, I'll post the next 12.
~onlybill

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back