• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fake Zeiss (1 Viewer)

trancework

Couldn't see the terrible engraving on the original picture before I bought these.
Just opened the box and my heart sank.

49379664cbfd29773af7f6504a5d0582.jpg

Looks like an interesting binocular, if you didn't pay much.
Are the eyepieces really capable of more than 20 dioptres adjustment?
Any clue where made?
Coated?
What is the clear aperture of the objectives?
Liebermann and Goerz lookalike?

Last edited:
The eyepiece moves a good 15mm from fully out to in. They don't seem to have any coatings and there is no other markings on them to identify them.

Also on further inspection the left side has an aluminium top and objective cover plate. The objective lens cover is also aluminium. On the right they are all brass.

Also on further inspection the left side has an aluminium top and objective cover plate. The objective lens cover is also aluminium. On the right they are all brass.

Hybrid binoculars, surely a first for BF.
It seems to be a chimaera, maybe recreated from two damaged glasses.
Still pretty interesting, there must be some makers markings on them somewhere.

Ouch!
Another heads up comes from Hans Seeger's Fernglasser und Fernrohre (pg 332) that unscrupulous people have taken surplus wartime Zeiss 7x50 Kriegsmarine prism plates (with eagle, swastika, T marking, big N marking) and attached them to old civilian Zeiss 7x50 bodies. I saw a pair that I had my suspicions about sell at a recent auction for $500 +.

Got as far as striping the left diopter and hit a wall, the section with the numbers does not clear the housing.

The ring with the engraving on will unscrew separately (it is a reverse thread) from the rest of the eyepiece and then you will be able to remove the eyepiece from the tube.

Hi,

It looks very much like a fake based on an old French binocular - there are a lot of these about.

Here is a picture of one of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 195
That's a shit situation to find yourself in! Hope you can find a way to get back at the seller.

Going by the auction screen-grab you posted: It looks very cliche and cheesy - just the way that they've utilised a still life-esque style screams 'I'm trying really hard'. Often a good product will speak for itself. But that's just from my experience - because that's exactly the technique I use when trying to sell old junk. Haha.

All the best.
AJ

Last edited:
That's a shit situation to find yourself in! Hope you can find a way to get back at the seller.

Going by the auction screen-grab you posted: It looks very cliche and cheesy - just the way that they've utilised a still life-esque style screams 'I'm trying really hard'. Often a good product will speak for itself. But that's just from my experience - because that's exactly the technique I use when trying to sell old junk. Haha.

All the best.
AJ

Most people don't even think of a fake binocular, so it may well be that the seller was just unknowing, rather than malicious. Learning that there was a flourishing business building fake Zeiss optics was certainly a surprise to me when I first became interested in binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back