• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon in South Africa (1 Viewer)

Keanumrc

Hi all

I photographed this falcon over a golf course in Pretoria, South Africa. Possibilities here would include:
-Lanner and Peregrine - resident
-Amur Falcon - common summer migrant
-Eurasian Hobby - uncommon to fairly common summer migrant
- Eleonora's and Sooty - extremely rare vagrants and pretty much unheard of here on the South African highveld.

In my opinion, the bird looks rather slender, with long, thin wings and a long tail, which I think would exclude Lanner and Peregrine. It has a prominent black hood and thick moustachial stripe, and broadly streaked underparts, which I think fit Eurasian Hobby, rather than Amur Falcon, the best. Barring on the tail seems to extend from around the tip to the vent (see the 3rd and 4th photos) and in the 5th photo there may be a bit of rufous colouration around the vent, but probably not enough for this to be a mature adult bird.

The bird appeared to be hunting swifts and swallows in fast, circling (not soaring), level flight. At one point it seemed to do a level high-pursuit chase or dive. Lastly, there were many Pantala flavescens dragonflies frequenting the open areas of the course, which I know are also favoured food of the Eurasian Hobby.

It would be great to hear some more opinions! Thanks!

Kind regards
Keanu

Attachments

• Falcon1.jpg
    Falcon1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Falcon2.jpg
    Falcon2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Falcon3.jpg
    Falcon3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 49
  • Falcon4.jpg
    Falcon4.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Falcon5.jpg
    Falcon5.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 64
Thanks all!

I did have to overexpose the photos to make any details show up against the clouded sky.

Would an Amur possibly have a thick moustachial stripe like in photo 2 then?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back