• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February 2024 Moths (1 Viewer)

2nd this year outing for the UV last night- Spring Usher, Common Quaker and Small Brindled Beauty, again all on the wall, none in the pot!

Attachments

• IMG_9941.jpeg
    IMG_9941.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9944.jpeg
    IMG_9944.jpeg
    390.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 2
West Walk,Wickham, south Hampshire Friday 2nd; 4 MV lamps + 1 actinic trap:

8 acleris ferrugana/notana
caloptilia betulicola (det.gen.)
3 ypsolopha ustella
agonopterix heracliana
55 tortricodes alternella
Red-Green Carpet
4 Pale Brindled Beauty
4 Spring Usher
18 Chestnut
2 Grey Shoulder-Knot
8 Satellite
2 Pine Beauty
13 Common Quaker.

Dave W

Last edited:
Nice @KenM going to put the trap out tonight, though it might be a bit windy but 12°c might be ok for something to turn up.

I managed 0/0, absolutely nothing, not a jot...but the winds really picked up last night, pretty much constant 30mph gusts, but still I was hoping the 12 degree temps might give me a chance.

But if you don't try you don't get.

I managed 0/0, absolutely nothing, not a jot...but the winds really picked up last night, pretty much constant 30mph gusts, but still I was hoping the 12 degree temps might give me a chance.

But if you don't try you don't get.
Yep. Pretty windy round us as well but from South-west while my back garden has a Northerly aspect so it was sheltered.

John

I have rarely tried in February before and have only ever been successful twice but I gave it a go last night having seen what my mate two miles away has been catching (see below) and all the reports of migrants down south.
Just two moths in the 14 hours my MV was on - but one was a complete lifer for me, Oak Beauty, and the other was something I missed last year, Clouded Drab.
In his much better garden my local friend has had the following so far this month, up to 20 moths a night: Beautiful Plume, Light Brown Apple Moth, Oak Beauty, Brindled Beauty, Pale Brindled Beauty, Dotted Border, Dark Chestnut, Hebrew Character, Clouded Drab, Small Quaker, Common Quaker and March Moth.

Friday evening at Botley Wood, south Hampshire, 2 MV lamps + 1 actinic trap:

acleris ferrugana/notana x 9
caloptilia stigmatella
ypsolopha ustella x 5
diurnea fagella
agonopterix ocellana x 2
tortricodes alternella x 15
acleris cristana
acleris hastiana x 2
acleris logiana
Yellow Horned x 8
Double-Striped Pug x 2
March Moth
Small Brindled Beauty x 2
Pale Brindled Beauty x 5
Spring Usher x 4
Chestnut x 40
Dark Chestnut
Grey Shoulder-Knot
Satellite
Common Quaker x 51
Oak Nycteoline.

Exceptional for this time of year.

Dave W

That's a great haul, Dave... always seems to be a massive difference in catch between countryside and suburban locations.

I'll hopefully be running my trap in a countryside location in May, so looking forward to seeing the difference myself.

Trapped again last night and on a late look out to change the powerbank (one won't last all night with the full UV + LED of the LepiLED) noticed a Pale Brindled Beauty (year tick) on the outside of the trap: that went straight in the fridge along with an unidentified micro from the outside of the kitchen window.

Emptying the trap this morning revealed just five Common Quakers to add to the moths I pounced on last night: I photographed the PBB on release but had to make do with pot pix of the micro, which I think is Agonopterix heracliana. As I'm still a micro tyro a pic is included for consultation.

John

Pale Brindled Beauty
Agonopterix heracliana (I think)

20240219 (1)_Pale_Brindled_Beauty.JPG20240219 (2)_Agonopterix_heracliana.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back