• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feedback request from any FL 8x32 owners…. (3 Viewers)

safaridreaming

Hey all

i recently purchased a Zeiss FL 8x32 and received the package this week.

in using the binos I’ve realised the cap under the focus wheel that I have circled in the picture below is loose and free spinning. It doesnt spin full 360, only around 180 degrees with a hard stop at either end, but that 180 movement is very free / loose. I can also tap this cap with my finger and it sounds like it’s a loose piece. Is this normal for this bino or do I need to get this looked at pls?

Can anyone who has one of these binos look at theirs and advise?

Many thanks

Attachments

• F120B068-B132-47E3-9D46-5B65DCE9EBDB.jpeg
    F120B068-B132-47E3-9D46-5B65DCE9EBDB.jpeg
    378.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 566A68F4-502D-41DF-8006-A590D5EFD266.jpeg
    566A68F4-502D-41DF-8006-A590D5EFD266.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 46
Hey all

i recently purchased a Zeiss FL 8x32 and received the package this week.

in using the binos I’ve realised the cap under the focus wheel that I have circled in the picture below is loose and free spinning. It doesnt spin full 360, only around 180 degrees with a hard stop at either end, but that 180 movement is very free / loose. I can also tap this cap with my finger and it sounds like it’s a loose piece. Is this normal for this bino or do I need to get this looked at pls?

Can anyone who has one of these binos look at theirs and advise?

Many thanks
I own the FLs in 10 x 32 and 8 x 32 and can confirm that the loose cap is normal.

Hello. I wouldn't worry about the feature described above. This is present on all FL32 instances. On some binoculars to a greater extent, on some to a lesser extent. On my 8x32 it is less pronounced, on 10x32 I feel it noticeably more.

Hi,

This part has holes in it for the focus shafts to pass through from the focus wheel to the optic tubes.

These holes are in a crescent shape and the part is designed to move slightly so that you can open and close the hinge.

Without the crescent shaped cut-out you would be limited to one IPD.

Movement is perfectly normal.

hinge cap.JPG

Gary

This makes sense as the ring doesn't rotate all the way around, and has a wider range the narrower the IPD. (Still very much enjoying our "new" 10x32 FL)

Hope you will not regret it, I know several who sold theirs and now wish they hadn‘t.
yeah we’ve all done that havent we?

I’ve always wanted to try a pair and to be honest found them to be a lot more comfortable to look through vs my SF’s BUT i found the colours were a bit washed out particularly against white. Took me a few days to pick this up. We hv some flowers in the backyard which hv a primary white petal but with subtle hues of pink / purple on new blooms that go to full white. Looking through the FL’s I couldn’t see those subtle colours no matter how i tried ie from different positions, adjusting IPD etc. Final decision point to move on was when i went to a local lake to view some white faced herons. When breeding there’s a very subtle yellowish marking around the face which I couldn’t see either…. in all instances the colours were visible to me through the SF, Swaro EL’s and Leica UV’s - just not through the FL’s….

Besides that I thought they were awesome - eye placement was VERY comfortable, much more so for me than the SF’s and I loved the small form factor - nice and compact but with enough volume to feel very comfortable in my reasonable large hands.

yeah we’ve all done that havent we?

I’ve always wanted to try a pair and to be honest found them to be a lot more comfortable to look through vs my SF’s BUT i found the colours were a bit washed out particularly against white. Took me a few days to pick this up. We hv some flowers in the backyard which hv a primary white petal but with subtle hues of pink / purple on new blooms that go to full white. Looking through the FL’s I couldn’t see those subtle colours no matter how i tried ie from different positions, adjusting IPD etc. Final decision point to move on was when i went to a local lake to view some white faced herons. When breeding there’s a very subtle yellowish marking around the face which I couldn’t see either…. in all instances the colours were visible to me through the SF, Swaro EL’s and Leica UV’s - just not through the FL’s….

Besides that I thought they were awesome - eye placement was VERY comfortable, much more so for me than the SF’s and I loved the small form factor - nice and compact but with enough volume to feel very comfortable in my reasonable large hands.
I still plan to sell mine if I'm happy with the upcoming SFL 8x30. Main reason being the reddish coating, and having a bit closer near-focus will be another plus. If I had an earlier version with the more neutral coating, I'd be more reluctant to change. Was very happy with a sample I had on loan from Zeiss (had the earlier coating) but could not buy.

Last edited:
Spent yesterday with mine at the San Diego Zoo. It was overcast, and I thought the 8x32s did a great job of helping me peer into low-light areas to glass fauna. Great color and detail on fur, feathers, and skin. One viper in particular was very hard to spot with the naked eye, but showed through the FLs a jaw-dropping pale lime-green body with tiny fuchsia patterning. The FLs are about the same size as my Swaro CL 8x30s but in my mind hold a decided advantage under those conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back