• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Female Kestrel, Paphos headland yesterday. (1 Viewer)

KenM

A parting shot afore leaving for the airport yesterday afternoon, made me wonder when reviewing the shots?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1327.jpeg
    IMG_1327.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 75
it doesn’t say much for the “lack of underwing spotting” to the secondaries often quoted as a feature
Quoted by who? For what species? (It's not quoted for either lesser kestrel or common kestrel by Collins.)
How is this relevant to your bird, given that it doesn't have unmarked secondaries?

Quoted by who? For what species? (It's not quoted for either lesser kestrel or common kestrel by Collins.)
How is this relevant to your bird, given that it doesn't have unmarked secondaries?

I’ve certainly read it somewhere in lit. remarking on the pale secondaries for LK, also the seemingly pronounced moustachial on female LK’s, not something I’ve noted on home birds?

Regarding P10 being shorter than P9 that’s by degree even with Kestrel.
A look on line should show that it can be posture (wing) dependant, more obvious in some shots than others.
I think I’d need to see the “white claws” to be totally satisfied.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1329.jpeg
    IMG_1329.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Cheers, I suspected as much, so it doesn’t say much for the “lack of underwing spotting” to the secondaries often quoted as a feature, albeit not a stand alone one.
Hello Ken,

iirc, it was mentioned by William Clark in an older Limicola paper (and in his book too?)
He said, that the underwing-coverts are more heavily and darker patterned than the less patterned secondaries (and primary-bases?) in Lesser, while the underwing is (often?) more uniform in Common Kestrel.
But it was mentioned as an supportive and not infailible, variable character.

(Common Kestrel, Ziesar, NE-Germany, 27.03.2021)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back