• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Few more birds from Guangxi in August (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

Hello All! Getting close to finishing up my observations from Guangxi this August. Looking for a little id help, please.

Here are my guesses.

1. Juvenile Black Drongo
Kind of unusual behavior to be out in the open and the pictures I'm seeing of juveniles have more black speckled in their belly.

2. Light-vented Bulbul
Looks a little different than what I'm used to seeing in Hainan. Maybe a different subspecies or a juvenile?

3. rufous-capped babbler

4/5. small niltava

Please feel free to point out why my guesses are off if they indeed are. I greatly appreciate any help as I am learning.

Brian

Attachments

• juv black drongo 1.jpg
    juv black drongo 1.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 18
  • light-vented bulbul 2.jpg
    light-vented bulbul 2.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 23
  • rufous-capped babbler 1.jpg
    rufous-capped babbler 1.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 18
  • small niltava 3.jpg
    small niltava 3.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 20
  • small niltava 4.jpg
    small niltava 4.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 20
1. Agree with Black Drongo. It's actually fairly normal for these to be in the open (it's one clue to distinguish them from Ashy Drongo). The underpart pattern of juveniles is quite variable - some can be quite pale, but others are darker.

2. This looks like a juvenile Chestnut Bulbul to me.

3. Agree with Rufous-capped Babbler

4. Male Hainan Blue Flycatcher - note the whiter belly and larger bill than on a niltava.

1. Agree with Black Drongo. It's actually fairly normal for these to be in the open (it's one clue to distinguish them from Ashy Drongo). The underpart pattern of juveniles is quite variable - some can be quite pale, but others are darker.

Thanks for the great information, John! It will be really helpful to have in the future!

4. Male Hainan Blue Flycatcher - note the whiter belly and larger bill than on a niltava.

Looked at pictures of both of these species. The difference was really obvious once you had pointed out what to look for. Greatly appreciated! Also when I looking at the Hainan Blue Flycatcher, I placed another unknown observation as the a female of the species. Thanks so much!

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back