• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for Yucatan (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hello,

Hello,

which field guide do you recommend for Yucatan peninsula?

Van Perlo's "Birds of Mexico and Central America" seems good but unfortunately all the distribution maps are separated from the plates.

Are all Yucatan and Cozumel species included in "Peterson Field Guide to Birds of Northern Central America" or Vallely/Dyer's "Birds of Central America"? Vale/Dyer could be to big, too for the field.

Ber can Perlo’s guide is the worst there is for the region and the worst guide I have ever paid money for.

Would recommend Howell&Webb, Valley & Dyer, or Fagan & Komar.

Howell has all species and is authoritative but is older styled without plates for all migrants and with range maps separated.

Vallely & Dyer is the best for all of Cen America but will be missing a few Yucatán species.

Fagan & Komar is excellent for N Cen America, more portable, but also missing a few species.

I have used the Fagan and Komar for the southern end of the Mexican Yucatan and for that it was good. There is about 10 northern Yucatan species missing including some endemics. If you have never been to the area before and you will go to the north, then I would strongly recommend Howell and Webb. Yes it is big - necessitating a backpack - but it is excellent.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back