• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally got the Swarovski 8x25 CL (1 Viewer)

dougan

Got to open them yesterday, as they are a birthday present. These were to replace my Hawke Endurance ED 8x25.
This was only a quick comparison in my garden, just in case I wanted to return the CL's.

First impression, they are nicely made and focused very smoothly. The image seemed nice and sharp and bright, so quite impressed so far.
I then tried my Hawke's, and to be honest, I was surprised how well they compared, the Swaros were a bit sharper, but not much, and a little brighter, but again not by much.
Not sure what I was expecting, but thought the Swaro's would be head and shoulders superior to the Hawke's, but to my eyes, they were only slightly better.
Seeing the Swaro's are over four times the cost of the Hawke's, I was expecting a bigger difference. I shall be returning them.

I'd recommend trying them a little more in the field.

From bitter experience I know it takes a good few months of regular use with a binocular, dialing in exactly the right diopter setting (the values on the scale are likely quite accurate on the Swarovski, the hawk may not share the same values optically even if they read the same on the scale) getting the ipd just so and finding the best hand position etc to really get the most out of them. You may find your opinion changes.

Also do try them over a variety of lighting conditions, the pure mechanics of exit pupil size won't be different but the transmission likely is, as well as any colour cast.

Also bare in mind that Swarovski will be able to keep your cl's in tip top condition, in my experience the after sales support is second to none, and they are likely better built in the first place.

Theirs a few things that go into it so I'd use the return period fully before sending them back after a thorough assessment.

Will

I'd recommend trying them a little more in the field.

From bitter experience I know it takes a good few months of regular use with a binocular, dialing in exactly the right diopter setting (the values on the scale are likely quite accurate on the Swarovski, the hawk may not share the same values optically even if they read the same on the scale) getting the ipd just so and finding the best hand position etc to really get the most out of them. You may find your opinion changes.

Also do try them over a variety of lighting conditions, the pure mechanics of exit pupil size won't be different but the transmission likely is, as well as any colour cast.

Also bare in mind that Swarovski will be able to keep your cl's in tip top condition, in my experience the after sales support is second to none, and they are likely better built in the first place.

Theirs a few things that go into it so I'd use the return period fully before sending them back after a thorough assessment.

Will

Dougan,

I agree with Mr. Lewis 100%. At a minimum, you might consider dedicating three reasonably full days of actual use/comparison in the field. Use only one bin for a day each and a day using both in direct comparison under various lighting conditions.

That said, given the iron law of diminishing returns, there are many experienced users/experts here who choose a good mid priced pocket rather than paying a lot more for a premium model.

Mike

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated!
I fully understand your reasoning about trying them in the field for a longer period, but the LCE returns policy state they should not be handled any more as you would if you were in their stores, hence why I am reluctant to try them out over a longer period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back