• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compacts - What to expect upgrading wise? (1 Viewer)

dougan

I have a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x25, which I use for when I am walking/hiking.
I really like them, but feel the image could be a little sharper.
I have a big birthday next month, and was thinking of upgrading to a more expensive pair, around the £600 mark. I like the look of the Swarovski SL 8x25 and the Zeiss Victory 8x25. What improvements should I expect over the Hawke's? I realise I should go to a store that stocks both, but no such places in or around North Devon!

Either the SW or VP will give you a much sharper and brighter image. Both have more ER than the Hawke if that is relevant to you. The SW and Hawke have identical FoV whereas the VP FoV is significantly larger. Handling of the SW vs the Zeiss differ quite a bit because of the offset hinge of the VP. Personally I prefer the Zeiss in all respects but others differ. I recommend you order the Zeiss first because if it works for you in terms of handling and eye placement, I agree with many others it's more like handling a mid size rather than a pocket model in that the IP adjustment is less fiddly. I have not looked through a Hawke but have several pocket models in that price range. Here's hoping you enjoy the upgrade.

Mike

Keep in mind many people who don't wear eyeglasses have complained the VP 8x25 eye cups don't extend far enough. I think the single hings on the VP is a mistake and makes them bulkier than they should be, but the optical quality is excellent, I ditched my Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 after getting my VPs.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back