• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First decent'ish' (i hope) binoculars on their way. (1 Viewer)

Sprite1275

United Kingdom
After becoming a bit more interested in wildlife ive been searching for a pair of binoculars which are very portable to take out when ever i go out for a walk. For quite a while ive been trying to get a pair of swarovski cl 8x25 for a decent price and nearly pulled the trigger on a pair for £486. Only trouble is that is still a lot of money for me and couldn't pull the trigger. The main reason for them was that i thought just chuck them in my pocket and off you go. But then i thought thats ok while wearing a coat but in summer i cant see them fitting in a jeans or shorts pocket.

So today i have bought a pair of Hawke frontier ED X 8x32. I've decided to buy a small sling bag, something like THIS and keep them in that. So whatever the weather i can just grab it and off i go. When i see something it should be quick and easy to spin the bag around and get my bins out. i know this all sounds like over thinking but if something is a faff for me it will just stay at home. Time will tell if i get on with this idea.

Anyway this is my first purchase of a binocular apart from some papilio 6.5x21 which i got the other week and very impressed with. I know hawke is a budget brand but the specs seem to be there. I also managed to get them for £288 as ebay have a 15% code on selected sellers at the moment. Its what prompted me to buy today.

Those Hawke Frontier ED 8x32 are very good binoculars for the price and I bet they will perform very close if not better than the more expensive Swarovski CL-P 8x25 because of the bigger aperture pulling in almost 40% more light. They will definitely be brighter. That sling bag is a good idea. I have never seen one like that before. It would be great for smaller binoculars.

I have been using the Hawke 10x42 version for a year and been very pleased with them especially for the price.

They produce a nice image.

My only real gripe is the veiling glare mainly in lower light conditions. Can be a bit distracting. This is an issue which can haunt more expensive binos, so I understand.

Those Hawke Frontier ED 8x32 are very good binoculars for the price and I bet they will perform very close if not better than the more expensive Swarovski CL-P 8x25 because of the bigger aperture pulling in almost 40% more light. They will definitely be brighter. That sling bag is a good idea. I have never seen one like that before. It would be great for smaller binoculars.

Good to hear. The swaros would of been nice but if I ended up putting them in a bag anyway it would be pointless going that small. Also saved myself £200 and got a brighter image by the sounds of it. Looking forward to trying them out.

I have been using the Hawke 10x42 version for a year and been very pleased with them especially for the price.

They produce a nice image.

My only real gripe is the veiling glare mainly in lower light conditions. Can be a bit distracting. This is an issue which can haunt more expensive binos, so I understand.
Can I ask what this veiling glare looks like? Took my new bins out for an hour today on a very dull overcast day. I noticed like a glare sometimes at the bottom end of the image. Mainly when I left my glasses on. I'm not sure if it was just me with my eye placement or not.
They seem great though. I'm no expert but the image is so clear of anything I focus on. The focus wheel I thought was too loose is actually great. So easy to quickly focus and stays where I want it. Build quality is just superb. Strap is very comfy and the case it comes with is perfect. Love how it has the magnetic flap for easy quick access.
It's hard to say how good they are when I do not have anything to compare them to. I just can't imagine anything can be a lot better than these are. Anyway here is a couple of pics from today.
iKRglFq.jpg

j8vuZMP.jpg

EQX1cfi.jpg

EvBdg12.jpg

Last edited:
Can I ask what this veiling glare looks like? Took my new bins out for an hour today on a very dull overcast day. I noticed like a glare sometimes at the bottom end of the image. Mainly when I left my glasses on. I'm not sure if it was just me with my eye placement or not.
They seem great though. I'm no expert but the image is so clear of anything I focus on. The focus wheel I thought was too loose is actually great. So easy to quickly focus and stays where I want it. Build quality is just superb. Strap is very comfy and the case it comes with is perfect. Love how it has the magnetic flap for easy quick access.
It's hard to say how good they are when I do not have anything to compare them to. I just can't imagine anything can be a lot better than these are. Anyway here is a couple of pics from today.
iKRglFq.jpg

j8vuZMP.jpg

EQX1cfi.jpg

EvBdg12.jpg
Evening!

I get exactly the same as you describe, it's a kind of milky/ghosting half halo in the bottom outer edges of the image. It is particularly pronouncedin low light contrasty conditions. Not much to be done about it.

My Zeiss FLs control it much better although it is still there at times.

Don't let it bother you or it will drive you mad, all binos suffer from it to some extent so I understand.

The Hawke Frontier ED X range are a cracking range of binoculars, I have been very pleased with their performance, using them for birding professionally as well as in my spare time. A good, solid purchase, great build quality and excellent value for money.

Enjoy them!

Superb good to hear. Being new to the game I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or something was wrong with the binos. Sometimes it was there but like I say mostly when I kept my glasses on. When I take them off and extended the eye cups I didn't seem to get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back