• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First in a long time (2 Viewers)

Good to see you back with the drawing, it's certainly been a while, but what great birds to return with.

Mike

Thanks!

I've got a couple of days off, so might get round to doing a few more. In the meantime, have a different type of flying thingy.
Based on a photo by kind permission Mike Freer of Touchdown Aviation (original here at Airliners.net).

Attachments

• jaguar_etps_800.jpg
    jaguar_etps_800.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
For the first time in months, I've been able to sit down with the pencils for a bit. I've had a four-day stint at a synchrotron with not much else to do...
As you can see from the Long-tailed Tit, I'm a bit rusty, but I'm getting my eye back in.
Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• mangrove_robin_d1_800.jpg
    mangrove_robin_d1_800.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 47
  • stitchbird_1_800.jpg
    stitchbird_1_800.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 52
  • long_tailed_tit_d1_tkb.jpg
    long_tailed_tit_d1_tkb.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 41
For the first time in months, I've been able to sit down with the pencils for a bit. I've had a four-day stint at a synchrotron with not much else to do...
As you can see from the Long-tailed Tit, I'm a bit rusty, but I'm getting my eye back in.
Cheers,

Tony

Alll very nice, but I particularly like the middle one Tony. And 'sychrotron' got the better of my curiosity so I went and looked it up. Happy you had the time to do these.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Just another quick sketch - this time a Passenger Pigeon. Over at Opus, they're short of pictures for a lot of the extinct species:
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Extinct
Normally, I work from a single photo, but in this case to make sure I'd got the features right, I used half-a-dozen photos (of stuffed birds) and paintings.

Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• passenger_pigeon_800.jpg
    passenger_pigeon_800.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 44
Another sadly extinct species: the Labrador Duck. No matter what I did with pencil, the tests for the background lookd rubbish, so I scraped chalk pastel onto the paper and smudged it in with a brush.

Attachments

• labrador_ducks_800.jpg
    labrador_ducks_800.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 48
I like both the new ones Tony. And truth be told it's the first time I've really looked at a Labrador Duck, I guess because the extinct ones don't show up in the field guides. It reminds me that I should pay more attention to them.

nice work - always sad to see extinct species, I always feel somehow robbed of the opportunity to enjoy them in the flesh.

I've been very poor at keeping up with BF of late - too much work and too many job applications - but I have on very rare occasions managed a bit of drawing. I even had a go at painting, but gave it up as I just couldn't achieve the fine strokes I used to. It was that point I realised I'd been painting on the rough side of the canvas sheet...
Anyhoo, there's a small chance I might get to do some illustrations for a series of magazine articles, of which this Blue-billed Duck would be the first. There's also a Nankeen Kestrel and my first-ever go at a portrait.
I'll try to get round everyone's threads in a while as it'd be nice to catch up with what everyone's doing.
Cheers,

Tony

Attachments

• blue_billed_duck_1.jpg
    blue_billed_duck_1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 34
  • nankeen_kestrel_800.jpg
    nankeen_kestrel_800.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 38
  • Mrs_Boris.jpg
    Mrs_Boris.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
great to see some new stuff from you - these are really good, and the portrait shows somebody being really happy - the last time I tried portraits I got a slap!

the last time I tried portraits I got a slap!

It was the bit where you asked them to take their clothes off, wasn't it?

As it's a rainy Sunday and the kids are too ill to demand a day trip, I'll see if I can get something done today. Might even try for two drawings - either that or do my tax return...

Great stuff! I like the blue-billed duck in particular. I lived down under for five years but I missed out on that species (and hundreds of others for that matter). I hope you'll keep posting lots of Aussie birds. Cheers!B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back