• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Scope: New Nikon or used Swarovski? (2 Viewers)

pyrrhula

Austria
Hello everyone!

I have been birding since last summer and have found myself in a lot of situations where a scope would have been very useful beside my binoculars.
So recently I started looking for scopes. I set my budget at around 1000€ for both the scope and tripod(+head).
After some research I found myself left with two (at least in my opinion) decent options.

1. Getting a new nikon Prostaff 5 82-A with 20-60x eyepiece along with a new Manfrotto 055 series tripod + a decent head. This would leave me at a total of around 900-950€.

2. I've found an offer for a quite heavily used but recently serviced (by Swarovski) Swarovski Habicht AT80 HD with 20-60x eyepiece along with an old Manfrotto 055 for the cost of 1200€ total.

So my question is: Should I choose option 1 or spend a couple 100 more and choose option 2? Or do you think that both these options are bad and you have a better recommendation? I'm open for any suggestions.

Best regards!

Last edited:
Option 1 without much hesitancy. Much lighter telescope, newer design, coatings and full warranty on scope together with a fluid head would satisfy me rather than a much older piece of kit whilst saving me quite a few bucks.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I'd at least have a look at the AT80HD, a good example still can offer a good view... and maybe you can haggle a bit as 1200€ seems a bit steep for a 25 year old scope.

As for the Nikon, it's very new and not really aimed at the top end of the market - I don't think we have an info on it. I would pass, if you get it, we would love to hear your experiences.

I would look at other used options too, a used Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED with EP can probably be found in budget with enough money left for a tripod and head.
Or an old Kowa TSN-3 - these with a current Opticron SDLv2 or v3 EP make for a sweet combo.

Joachim, who still likes his TSN-3...

Option 1 without much hesitancy. Much lighter telescope, newer design, coatings and full warranty on scope together with a fluid head would satisfy me rather than a much older piece of kit whilst saving me quite a few bucks.

Thanks for your reply! I would agree that getting new equipment would be much safer over all and also the very low weight of the Prostaff 5 is intriguing. In the end, however, it still is just an entry level scope while the Habicht AT80 HD is more high end...

Best regards!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I'd at least have a look at the AT80HD, a good example still can offer a good view... and maybe you can haggle a bit as 1200€ seems a bit steep for a 25 year old scope.

As for the Nikon, it's very new and not really aimed at the top end of the market - I don't think we have an info on it. I would pass, if you get it, we would love to hear your experiences.

I would look at other used options too, a used Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED with EP can probably be found in budget with enough money left for a tripod and head.
Or an old Kowa TSN-3 - these with a current Opticron SDLv2 or v3 EP make for a sweet combo.

Joachim, who still likes his TSN-3...

Thanks for your reply and the nice welcome! I'm glad to have joined this community.

Regarding the Habicht scope I was also not quite convinced by the price but I'll see if haggling is possible.
For the Nikon you are right, in the end it's just an entry level scope while the Habicht is higher tier. Also I couldn't find a lot of reviews or info about the Nikon. If I end up getting it I will share my experience with you.
Thanks a lot for the other recommendations, I will definitely check these scopes out.

Best regards!

Hello everyone!

I have been birding since last summer and have found myself in a lot of situations where a scope would have been very useful beside my binoculars.
So recently I started looking for scopes. I set my budget at around 1000€ for both the scope and tripod(+head).
After some research I found myself left with two (at least in my opinion) decent options.

1. Getting a new nikon Prostaff 5 82-A with 20-60x eyepiece along with a new Manfrotto 055 series tripod + a decent head. This would leave me at a total of around 900-950€.

2. I've found an offer for a quite heavily used but recently serviced (by Swarovski) Swarovski Habicht AT80 HD with 20-60x eyepiece along with an old Manfrotto 055 for the cost of 1200€ total.

So my question is: Should I choose option 1 or spend a couple 100 more and choose option 2? Or do you think that both these options are bad and you have a better recommendation? I'm open for any suggestions.

Best regards!

How about checking this thread New Svbony sa401 Apo 85mm released.

SA401 20-60x85 APO Spotting Scope SA402 Hydraulic Gimbal Tripod

Svbony 406P/46P 80mm spotters anyone?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back