• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time binocular advice please. (1 Viewer)

kerrit

United States
It’s been one month since I joined birdforum. I apologize if this is not the appropriate way or place to post this. I feel that I have learned a lot reading all of your posts and reviews. Every time I think I’ve narrowed down my list of potential new purchases (1st time binocular), I read something that sways me.
I found that the binocular stores that I have contacted also have their personal biases, often depending on what they sell. A couple of birding societies also gave recommendations, from high end Swarovski NL Pure to more modest Vanguard Endeavor II ED (Audubon Society). I did learn from this site that I do not have to buy more than I can afford for my first pair to get a good birding experience. Thank you birdforum for not $ shaming. Quality, clarity, FOV, close focus, are important-I imagine for everyone, but also weight and ER as I have physical limitations. My use will be from home primarily and from inside for now.
I contacted the store I planned to purchase from asking about the Kowa Genesis 8x33. The representative I spoke with thought I should consider the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 as lighter and a far better optic. After reading about the rolling ball (I’m still trying to understand it), I was hesitant about the HG, though the rep said it rarely happens. I don’t want to let price influence me too much, but Kowa is having a spring sale which ends tomorrow. The Genesis is $499 and the BD II is $325 ( that was not one I had considered). Then I read a review of the GPO Passion ED 8x32 here on the forum, and I thought hmmm..sounds interesting. Same with the Opticron Verano BGA 8x32.
If anyone is still reading and I haven’t lost you by now, can you please add your two cents?
Thank you!!
P.S. I think I posted this in the wrong place the first time.

I answered under the Kowa heading, see there:
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/kowa-genesis-8x33-vs….420859/#post-4303197

Kerrit,

Welcome to BirdForum, and as a longer time member I can share your frustration. There are many members here and each have at least one opinion on every topic.
If the majority of opinions say one binocular is good, or bad, then it probably is-for MOST; but that does not mean that you will, or will not, like it.
Our personal preferences are strong reguardless of others opinions. If the Genesis is what you want, go for it unless there is strong and consistence reasons not too.
Go back to the store, try it out, and if you still like it, buy it.

edj

Kerrit,

Welcome to BirdForum, and as a longer time member I can share your frustration. There are many members here and each have at least one opinion on every topic.
If the majority of opinions say one binocular is good, or bad, then it probably is-for MOST; but that does not mean that you will, or will not, like it.
Our personal preferences are strong reguardless of others opinions. If the Genesis is what you want, go for it unless there is strong and consistence reasons not too.

edj
Thank you..I appreciate your response. There is no store here to try out, so I would be purchasing online or by phone. I am also disabled and home bound. My only hesitancy with the Genesis is weight. The sale ends today so I just may bite. I understand that their return policy has just changed so I need to check that out (restocking fee, etc.).

Kerrit,

edj
Thank you for your reply. The reason I reached out to the forum is I haven’t seen any of these binoculars in person. There are no stores other that sporting goods, and I am disabled and home bound. My only concern with the Genesis was weight and possibly eye relief. The sale ends today which I didn’t find out until yesterday, so if I want the Genesis on sale I need to move now. I appreciate the back and for and different opinions here on the forum. I think I have learned quite a bit. I also appreciate that everyone has an opinion. But I find it inclusive and welcoming. It was on this forum (and from my state’s Audubon Society call), that I learned that I don’t have to purchase a $$$ as my first binocular. And I can still have an enjoyable experience. No shame. I just think this forum is cool and will post an update.

Last edited:
Thank you, and WoW..sounds like a wonderful trip. Enjoy!
You might find my review of Kowa's 8x33 useful: Kowa Genesis 8x33: Troubador's Review

As an indication of my respect for this model note that I have just been getting out my binos for a 3 week visit to the isle of Islay off the south-west of Scotland and I am taking a bino each from Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski plus the Kowa.

Lee
Just read your review of the Genesis. Very thorough. Thanks!

Of the models you mention I would choose the Kowa Genesis 8x33.

Lee
At a knock-down price of $499 I wouldn't hesitate a second. There are very few downsides to the Genesis. If used for birding, one may feel that while the focus throw is short, focusing is not really fast due to the resistance of the focuser. Other than that it is fantastic value for money!

At a knock-down price of $499 I wouldn't hesitate a second. There are very few downsides to the Genesis. If used for birding, one may feel that while the focus throw is short, focusing is not really fast due to the resistance of the focuser. Other than that it is fantastic value for money!
Using my standard focusing speed test, Kowa's 8x33 is faster than a Zeiss SF, than Leica's Ultravid or Meopta's B1 MeoStar and is similar to Leica's Trinovid 8x32 HD but not as fast as Zeiss's Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee

Using my standard focusing speed test, Kowa's 8x33 is faster than a Zeiss SF, than Leica's Ultravid or Meopta's B1 MeoStar and is similar to Leica's Trinovid 8x32 HD but not as fast as Zeiss's Conquest HD 8x32.

Lee
That's interesting, Lee. The resistance on my focuser is stiff to a point where it is difficult to follow fast moving birds in a shrub, for example. Maybe I should contact Kowa and ask them to have a look at it.

That's interesting, Lee. The resistance on my focuser is stiff to a point where it is difficult to follow fast moving birds in a shrub, for example. Maybe I should contact Kowa and ask them to have a look at it.
JA, not so fast, we are talking about different characteristics here, My test estimates the number of turns required to refocus from a building 4km / 2.5 miles away from our house down to a feature in our room 2 metres from where I sit at my workstation. So my test is of the gearing. You are talking about the effort required to turn the focus wheel and I have to say I am very surprised by your description. A couple of days ago I got my own 8x33 out in readiness to take it along with 3 others to Islay for an upcoming holiday and I noted that the focus was a pleasure to use despite the unit having been unused for several months.

The Kowa company responsible for Europe is Kowa-Optimed in Duesseldorf. They recommend that you contact the dealer you bought the binos from and let them take care of the process, or you can contact Kowa-Optimed directly for advice: [email protected]

Good luck
Lee

A Genesis for $499 is quite a steal. Normal price was more than double that. Just be careful though, as there are websites that label the BDII-XD as a "Genesis", and the BDII-XD is a much less proficient binocular. Not a bad binocular, but not nearly as good as a Genesis.

You might already know all of this, but if you are not greatly familiar with the Kowa binocular line, you can see all of their products at their website.

It is unfortunate that you cannot try b4 you buy, but I suffer the same issues ( unable to try before to buy ) living on a small island. Do consider the weight, as depending on your age and strength you may find prolonged use tiresome. I own several binoculars and find the compact Kowa SV25-8 which is 8x25 to be very good and very light. I also use the Zeiss Terra 8x25 which is very slightly better, but more than double the price. Best wishes.

A Genesis for $499 is quite a steal. Normal price was more than double that. Just be careful though, as there are websites that label the BDII-XD as a "Genesis", and the BDII-XD is a much less proficient binocular. Not a bad binocular, but not nearly as good as a Genesis.

You might already know all of this, but if you are not greatly familiar with the Kowa binocular line, you can see all of their products at their website.
Thanks..I didn’t know that and think I will order by phone instead of online.

JA, not so fast, we are talking about different characteristics here, My test estimates the number of turns required to refocus from a building 4km / 2.5 miles away from our house down to a feature in our room 2 metres from where I sit at my workstation. So my test is of the gearing. You are talking about the effort required to turn the focus wheel and I have to say I am very surprised by your description. A couple of days ago I got my own 8x33 out in readiness to take it along with 3 others to Islay for an upcoming holiday and I noted that the focus was a pleasure to use despite the unit having been unused for several months.

The Kowa company responsible for Europe is Kowa-Optimed in Duesseldorf. They recommend that you contact the dealer you bought the binos from and let them take care of the process, or you can contact Kowa-Optimed directly for advice: [email protected]

Good luck
Lee
Right, I see. So, your test is about what I referred to as 'focus throw', short focus throw meaning 'fast' in your words. My focuser is just stiff, I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back