• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time binocular advice please. (2 Viewers)

A Genesis for $499 is quite a steal. Normal price was more than double that. Just be careful though, as there are websites that label the BDII-XD as a "Genesis", and the BDII-XD is a much less proficient binocular. Not a bad binocular, but not nearly as good as a Genesis.

You might already know all of this, but if you are not greatly familiar with the Kowa binocular line, you can see all of their products at their website.
I just ordered🤞🏼.Had to do it online because the person who answered the phone could not process the order. It was still on sale, so that is a positive. I made sure it was a Genesis and not a BDII. Hoping it works out as far as weight, eye relief, ease of use. Thanks to all that gave their input. I will update after it arrives.

what is your budget?
Under $1000 tops, but was looking for something a little less if the quality was good. Was hesitant to purchase an instrument made in China (not because of quality, which I don’t question). The Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8x33 was regularly priced at $999. Kowa is having a Spring sale which ends today. I’ve seen it run from $799 down to $499 depending on the site. Hoping it will work for me.

"The Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8x33 was regularly priced at $999. Kowa is having a Spring sale which ends today. I’ve seen it run from $799 down to $499 depending on the site.

I believe the $799.00 price on the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD that Doug has is the lowest price you will see on this binocular. You might be confusing it with the Kowa Genesis Prominar BDII XD 8x33, which is a less expensive binocular from Kowa. If you could get the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD for $499 I would buy one myself! Be careful what model you are buying! This is the BDII model in the link below, and it is $399. The link below it is the higher level Prominar or just XD, and it is $799. You DON't want the BDII.

Last edited:
Your timing is perfect as the Kowa Genesis 8x33 is on sale right now for o0nly $
"The Kowa Genesis Prominar XD 8x33 was regularly priced at $999. Kowa is having a Spring sale which ends today. I’ve seen it run from $799 down to $499 depending on the site.

I believe the $799.00 price on the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD that Doug has is the lowest price you will see on this binocular. You might be confusing it with the Kowa Genesis Prominar BDII XD 8x33, which is a less expensive binocular from Kowa. If you could get the Kowa Genesis Prominar XD for $499 I would buy one myself! Be careful what model you are buying! This is the BDII model in the link below, and it is $399. The link below it is the higher level Prominar or just XD, and it is $799. You DON't want the BDII.

Oh oh…checking now.

It is unfortunate that you cannot try b4 you buy, but I suffer the same issues ( unable to try before to buy ) living on a small island. Do consider the weight, as depending on your age and strength you may find prolonged use tiresome. I own several binoculars and find the compact Kowa SV25-8 which is 8x25 to be very good and very light. I also use the Zeiss Terra 8x25 which is very slightly better, but more than double the price. Best wishes.
Yes weight is very important to me. Lifting something up once or twice is one thing. Holding up for any length of time is another. That was the major thing holding me back from the Genesis, and why the others were on my shortish list. I went ahead and ordered the Genesis as today is the last day of the sale.

Thanks I am double checking my order invoice. I asked while on the phone and was assured that it was a Genesis and not the BD II. But the person I spoke with was not the binocular person as they were busy. I purchased online.

A Genesis for $499 is quite a steal. Normal price was more than double that. Just be careful though, as there are websites that label the BDII-XD as a "Genesis", and the BDII-XD is a much less proficient binocular. Not a bad binocular, but not nearly as good as a Genesis.

You might already know all of this, but if you are not greatly familiar with the Kowa binocular line, you can see all of their products at their website.
This is the email confirmation that I received. It is supposed to be the Genesis Prominar 8x33.

Attachments

• 0EAA6A2E-1DAB-42F9-A195-2FF2598E2FAE.png
    0EAA6A2E-1DAB-42F9-A195-2FF2598E2FAE.png
    452 KB · Views: 25
Thanks I am double checking my order invoice. I asked while on the phone and was assured that it was a Genesis and not the BD II. But the person I spoke with was not the binocular person as they were busy. I purchased online.
I attached a pic of my email confirmation. It says Genesis Prominar and it was $499. Oops..it’s up there^.

Yes weight is very important to me. Lifting something up once or twice is one thing. Holding up for any length of time is another. That was the major thing holding me back from the Genesis, and why the others were on my shortish list. I went ahead and ordered the Genesis as today is the last day of the sale.
And I’m old 😉and weak.

WoW that sale is extended. I was told my store’s sale ended today, 3/31/22. That why I was in a hurry to order if I was going to get the Kowa.

what is your budget?
It is unfortunate that you cannot try b4 you buy, but I suffer the same issues ( unable to try before to buy ) living on a small island. Do consider the weight, as depending on your age and strength you may find prolonged use tiresome. I own several binoculars and find the compact Kowa SV25-8 which is 8x25 to be very good and very light. I also use the Zeiss Terra 8x25 which is very slightly better, but more than double the price. Best
Sorry. How do I keep doing this? How do I reply correctly?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Kerrit,

You can use the reply icon (arrow) on the lower right instead to respond to each post individually, or you can just reply in one post to all the replies.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back