• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time binocular advice please. (1 Viewer)

I did learn from this site that I do not have to buy more than I can afford for my first pair to get a good birding experience.
My use will be from home primarily and from inside for now.
I contacted the store I planned to purchase from asking about the Kowa Genesis 8x33. The representative I spoke with thought I should consider the Nikon Monarch HG 8x30 as lighter and a far better optic. After reading about the rolling ball (I’m still trying to understand it), I was hesitant about the HG, though the rep said it rarely happens. I don’t want to let price influence me too much, but Kowa is having a spring sale which ends tomorrow. The Genesis is $499 and the BD II is $325
Actually you should never pay more than you can afford, and if you're willing to trade research time, and patience for making good choices it can definitely play in your favor.

It's interesting to read through your opening post again and compare it to some of the replies that indicated the poster hadn't read the information already here from the start. That noted, you'll find there are generally two types of posters when it comes to making suggestions; the ones who think you should buy what they like, and the ones who will try to pick up on what your requirements are and actually help lead you to choose what will work best for you, regardless of their own needs or preferences.

Can't wait to read your review on first impressions when the Genesis arrives.

As an indication of my respect for this model note that I have just been getting out my binos for a 3 week visit to the isle of Islay off the south-west of Scotland and I am taking a bino each from Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski plus the Kowa.
That sounds like a very nice recommendation of both the Kowa Genesis and Islay. Wish I could go along as long as a few stops for Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg and Laphroaig were allowable.

Will there be picture forthcoming?

That sounds like a very nice recommendation of both the Kowa Genesis and Islay. Wish I could go along as long as a few stops for Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, Ardbeg and Laphroaig were allowable.

Will there be picture forthcoming?
Hi Trinnie, the Islay malts are famous and with good reason but we don't have time for visiting distillaries when on Islay! What kind of picture are you hoping for? Picture of a great bino with Islay in the background? Or a pic of some Islay wildlife?

See the pics below!

Lee

IMG_4727.JPGIMG_5662 - Copy.JPG

Actually you should never pay more than you can afford, and if you're willing to trade research time, and patience for making good choices it can definitely play in your favor.

It's interesting to read through your opening post again and compare it to some of the replies that indicated the poster hadn't read the information already here from the start. That noted, you'll find there are generally two types of posters when it comes to making suggestions; the ones who think you should buy what they like, and the ones who will try to pick up on what your requirements are and actually help lead you to choose what will work best for you, regardless of their own needs or preferences.

Can't wait to read your review on first impressions when the Genesis arrives.
Aww…thank you for the comment and for understanding. I do appreciate all those that responded and offered their opinions. The members on this forum are supportive, and generous in the information that they provide. It can be a bit confusing at times for someone just starting out. I am definitely a work in progress.

Last edited:
Hi Trinnie, the Islay malts are famous and with good reason but we don't have time for visiting distillaries when on Islay! What kind of picture are you hoping for? Picture of a great bino with Islay in the background? Or a pic of some Islay wildlife?

See the pics below!

Lee

View attachment 1437289View attachment 1437290
All of the above and more. I've known 'about' Islay for a long time now, but only as an address, so to speak. Hearing for the first time, here on this forum, that it's also an interesting location is fascinating and I look forward to more like these when you find time.

Nice framing on the Zeiss shot!

Lee. I think that rabbit is constipated!:ROFLMAO:
LOL that rabbit is a Brown Hare and had been lazing in the evening sunshine for quite a time. Then the other Hare came to visit and the nearest one decided it was time to stir itself into movement and it stood up and had a real good stretch before starting to graze again. I was lucky to grab a photo at that point as it showed just how long its legs are.

Beautiful animals. Here is one that came to shelter next to the stone wall close to our cottage and after dozing for an hour it began giving itself a good grooming.

Lee
IMG_6593 - Copy.JPG

LOL that rabbit is a Brown Hare and had been lazing in the evening sunshine for quite a time. Then the other Hare came to visit and the nearest one decided it was time to stir itself into movement and it stood up and had a real good stretch before starting to graze again. I was lucky to grab a photo at that point as it showed just how long its legs are.

Beautiful animals. Here is one that came to shelter next to the stone wall close to our cottage and after dozing for an hour it began giving itself a good grooming.

Lee
View attachment 1437463
They are so large!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back